Wanderers / wood aelves question

Dracothjay

So, been looking at starting a 2nd army to paint and game with. I'm set on sylvaneth, but thought I'd have one last look at the wanderers selection.

my question is....where the hell have all the wood elf units gone? If I wanted to collect wanderers (for tourney reasons) is the only legal collection now the units listed only in the wanderers selection from the GW website? 

5 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

question is....where the hell have all the wood elf units gone? If I wanted to collect wanderers (for tourney reasons) is the only legal collection now the units listed only in the wanderers selection from the GW website? 

Tournaments often allow the compendium units to be used. This would give you a wealth of old characters and units like Waywatchers, Wardancers and Glade Riders.

You would just have to be prepared that sometimes these units wouldn't be allowed ?

17 hours ago, warhammernerd said:

All units from compendium are in the generals handbook, so I'd imagine they will be legit for while. I have a big mixed force, the old stuff is wicked. Don't give up!

So how exactly do you run your army? They seem like their units are ranged, speedy, and can pack a punch in combat. But with mostly 1 wound models and almost no save how to you keep them on the field?

Im fielding this kinda list right now:

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
- General
- Trait: Strategic Genius
- Artefact: Relic Blade
Spellweaver on Purebred Steed (120)
Waywatcher (100)
Shadowdancer (100)
Wayfinder (100)

Units
Glade Guard x 20 (240)
Glade Guard x 20 (240)
Wildwood Rangers x 20 (400)
Wildwood Rangers x 10 (200)
Wardancers x 15 (180)
Wild Riders x 10 (280)
Sisters of the Thorn x 5 (220)
Warhawk Riders x 6 (240)

Total: 2500/2500

The trick is to maximise your firepower on the single biggest threat asap, aka alpha strike. The -3 modifier for the arcane bodkins one per game ability is pretty crucial in weakening the biggest - most heavily armoured unit or monster. I keep my archers ideally supported by at least one unit the enemy is afraid of going toe to toe with, Rangers are a good bet. Recently I've been playing around with using Wardancers as a brilliant screeen (Using the defensive 4+ armour save dance) which the rangers can fight over (2" reach) and the archers can shoot over. Basically, keep the archers alive, keep then near the lord for re-rolling 1's and ideally at 20 strong or more for +1 to hit. Survivabilty is helped further by the totality essential spellsinger. Either keep this back bunkered with the multiple archer blocks / rangers to keep them at full strength or my preffered use, is zipping around with wild riders, eagles and sisters of the thorn - the reason being she can raise d3 models with her heal spell irrespective of wounds! 

So broken down I kinda play like this:

1 decent block of ranged attack (multiple ranged units, backed up with heros to buff hit rolls) supported by something scary and counter-punchy.

1 fast moving, punchy block (formed of multiple fast units each supporting one another - wild riders, sistersm warhawks, sisters plus hunting hounds). You should only pick fights where you will definitely win, gang up on smaller things where possible. Then run away and pick another favourable fight. Use small throwaway units such as dogs to give you time to escape if need be. 

1 big scary combat block. Either 20+ rangers, 30+ eternal guard or 20+ wardancers. 

Things I ALWAYS take if poss.

1) Shadowdancer. Bridge of shadows is a great spell, no one ever expects a unit to double its move and gain flight. I use this with wardancers  or rangers to great effect. And if you get the chance, casting it on Wild riders and giving them a 24" move, plus run and then a charge is totally unexpected. 

2) spellsinger. Healing multi-wound cav models is essential and infuriating.

3) Nomad prince. Re-rolling 1's for all shooting and melee is immense.

4) Orion. If you can field this guy (and if you can find a fig) he is totally bad ass. I have him running around with Wild RIders, and he is sick as ******. Makes them immune to battle shock and re-roll charge distances. Plus in combat 3 damage is amazing and his ranged is tasty too.

5) Glade guard, as above. OR failing that, requivlalent shot count in Waywatchers.

6) Rangers, basically these terrify the ****** out of monsters. Peole will always make them priority target. Bait people with these, them teleport away with bridge of shadows or screen with wardancers using defensive dance + shield of thorns from sisters and mystic shield for 2+ save and 6++ ward. 

Basically. Run around. Concentrate fire. Gang up on ******. Be annoying. And make sure you only get in fights where YOU are rolling ****** tons of dice against not many coming back.

PEW PEW PEW PEWPEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEWPEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW  

Finding the old models on ebay ain't so hard - especially with Wood Elves, people seem to sell to the old ****** pretty cheap (dragons, tree-kin and decent Orion model being the exception).

IMO, having more bodies on the field is much better than fewer stronger models. Wanderers need to be able to gang up on things, and if they cant do that they need to pew pew them in the face till they ain't scary, then gang up on them. 

After much hunting I've finally got my hands on a sisters of thorn model. CANT WAIT TO FIELD THIS! 

But to the above point, I really cant see fielding compendium models or scrolls being much of a problem. As long as they are continually supported in Generals Handbook and subsequent editions, I'd find it very odd for someone to disallow a person choosing to use their models, especially if you actually take the time to re-base and paint. They are hardly going to be accused of being a power-gamers and tbh, most of the range looks inkeeping with what's current, so their isn't an issue to my mind with figs looking out of date (Some of the warhawks are a teeny bit ropey).

Bascially, this army is SO much fun to play. My advice would be, keep it pure, stick to the elves, resist the Sylvaneth....

I think their range will def get expanded, rather than older compendium stuff being re-released. This might (as always seems to be the case with woodies) be a while. I'd say conservatively were looking at next spring before anything Aelf. 

When they do, I'm fully expecting the game meta to change considerably. As it is, with a few exceptions, shooting armies haven't been given the overhaul yet. And if you take a look at how stupidly op savage orc shooting is (not that I want op, I want balance),  I'd imagine aelf archery to be tasty across the board. 

Dunno, im trying to paint what I have (for first time in my life - im 38 and have been collecting / playing since I was 10!) before buying anything new.

Besides, as I say. I reckon pure faction is the way to go thematically, for fluff and generally speaking (once they release this new book bringing army specific traits to all books and compendiums) its where all the best combos / builds are.

Right... back to these!

IMG_3139.JPG

Wanderers have remained 1 faction and are an army. High and dark elves have exploded in a dozen small factions,  no real army there.

Not to mention the remaining realms to be discovered are light and shadow AND we know com silver tower the mist weaver en the general shard have a new aesthetic... I doubt gw has created that aesthetic for 1 model.. I think the factions have already been created at least digitally.

Do you think the wanderers range on the GW website (excluding compendium) has enough variety to be competitive? I really love the wood elf theme and always wanted to collect them, I just don't want to risk it, spend tonnes of money and then find out there's a new wood elf range coming out you know?

I've got a related question as I'm a bit confused about rules / stats. So, there's compendiums which is basically all the old WFB stuff adapted for AOS, there's Grand alliance books which culls the compendiums a bit and makes everything a bit less Old Worldy, especially generalsing characters into non-named heros, then the batteltomes take factions within the grand alliances, sometimes add new models and units, but also often use the same units and rules as in the grand alliances. If I've got that right, am I right in thinking that although a new battletome might come along, if I'm building an army (say of elves) using only stuff in Grand Allinace order, when the new battltome Aelfs comes along everything I've built will still be useable, it's just that there may be newer stuff added? I.E. if possible avoid using the compendiums as a base for a new army and use the grand alliance books?

Should be useable yes, the grand alliance stuff should be useable for quite a while even if tourneys ban compendium stuff. However once a lot of battle tomes are out you might find that except for a few specific lists basic grand alliance order armies will not be competitive due to lack of good items/faction specific spells etc. But I think that IF your faction gets redone most stuff now in their grand alliance book will be used too.

13 hours ago, uk_unbeliever said:

I've got a related question as I'm a bit confused about rules / stats. So, there's compendiums which is basically all the old WFB stuff adapted for AOS, there's Grand alliance books which culls the compendiums a bit and makes everything a bit less Old Worldy, especially generalsing characters into non-named heros, then the batteltomes take factions within the grand alliances, sometimes add new models and units, but also often use the same units and rules as in the grand alliances. If I've got that right, am I right in thinking that although a new battletome might come along, if I'm building an army (say of elves) using only stuff in Grand Allinace order, when the new battltome Aelfs comes along everything I've built will still be useable, it's just that there may be newer stuff added? I.E. if possible avoid using the compendiums as a base for a new army and use the grand alliance books?

Yes is the short answer.

The stuff in the grand alliance books is still be sold by GW and has a place in the AOS lore (However Vague) you can therefore use the Grand alliagiance rules in the genrals handbook.

A battle tomb will not only include all the new models (if there are any) but a load more detail into the lore of the faction as well as allegience specific rules.

compendium stuff are all the out of production models or heros that didnt make it to the new setting (Yet)

Archived