TOW 1.0 Chaos Dwarfs

Figured the wickedly bearded need their own section for the smattering of folks who have them.  I'm still assembling/converting. 

-Irondrakes will be Fireglaives. 

-The old Shartor from Forgeworld will be a Sorcerer-Prophet on Bale Taurus after I put daemon prince wings on him. 

-Got an old Lammasu wizard and Hthark from Bloodbowl for a Tauruk. 

-Magma Cannon and Deathshrieker CHECK.  Iron Daemon and Skull Cracker and 6 Bull-Centaurs in the works. 

-Foot Daemonsmith on the way.  Hellcannon......apparently stinks so that could be a Dreadquake Mortar (found a metal one and the metal crew, figured might as well).

Guess many people say Hobgoblins are good to have in there but just not feeling them right now, or finding any for a decent price.  Trying to avoid 3D printing if I can.  Perhaps some Black Orcs might be good?  Apparently we invented those!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Are Dominion Hobgrots not still super cheap on eBay?

Black Orcs are by all accounts pretty good. At least in an Orc and Goblin list. Might be an oversight, but Black Orc Warbosses in a Chaos Dwarf list can saddle up a wyvern or chariot.

Oh wow, Hobgrots!  Those would be perfect, as IIRC they deal with the Chorfs in their lore to get weapons though I think it's a bit murky in detail?  If I could put a Wyvern in my list with the other stuff I'd be a happy camper.

How do I add a poll?!?  I vote HATS

• Like 1

The problem with Hobgrots it's that they don't have ranged or mounted units, and if uyou use other units as proxies you will have a disparring aesthetic for your count-as hobgoblins. You can make it work saying they're different races enslaved by the chaos dwarfs, but I'd personally prefer a more unified look.

Regular goblins from TOW are a good option as they have archers and wolf riders too. It should be obvious to everyone what they represent since CD can no longer deploy goblins.

Glad to see that you like my work. Keep an eye out for more. I already have a WIP bolt thrower, tauruks, demon smith and an idea for a lammassu.

Also there are rumours that GW will release a Chaos Dwarfs or equivalent for Age of Sigmar next year. So you might want to wait and see. Many AoS minis work great for TOW like Seraphon or Soulblight Gravelords

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I won't hold my breath for AOS Chaos Dwarves, but I'll blow up a balloon and pop it if that happens!

I surgically removed Juggernaut riders and Theridon legs last night to start my Bull Centaurs.  I also want to make a Juggernauty type of Great Taurus that can accomodate a removable Daemonsmith-Sorcerer (that old big hat metal guy with hammer and wand).  Then I'll have all 3 types and they'll all be very very different but unified with basing, paint jobs, and awesomeness.

For my forces the metal big hats and Forgeworld will be in positions of power for the most part.  Because so many little ones are so very expensive mostly.

Edited by Lord Krungharr

8 minutes ago, Krzyek said:

Glad to see that you like my work. Keep an eye out for more. I already have a WIP bolt thrower, tauruks, demon smith and an idea for a lammassu.

Also there are rumours that GW will release a Chaos Dwarfs or equivalent for Age of Sigmar next year. So you might want to wait and see. Many AoS minis work great for TOW like Seraphon or Soulblight Gravelords

You say that, but try ranking the tails on those new Saurus Warriors up 😁

Can't wait to see the new conversions!

2 hours ago, Krzyek said:

Your stuff is awesome and I'm glad @Double Misfire had bringed it to my attention. Keep at it! 👌🏻

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fires of Caledor said:

I really hope that they do a MTO of the big hat range of Chaos Dwarves at some point. That's my dream army for sure.

Seems unlikely in the short term given Chaos Dwarfs are a legacy faction (and they are based on the FW range, who were much less in on the big hat thing). Down the line maybe.

Made To Order makes so much sense for all the golden oldies!  There's not that much up-front investment, and they don't have to stock anything except metal and the molds since the sale is guaranteed.  

Some people think next year AOS will get Chaos Dwarf equivalents though, so if that actually happens, TOW players will have proxies at least.  I'm not holding my breath though.  It would take at least twice as many units than Fyreslayers have to make a right-proper Chorfy faction.  

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on my 90's style Chaos Dwarfs. These are using 3D prints from Fabelzel, Brawniac and Meshy Mesh.

What I have painted so far that is a Chaos Dwarf:

PXL_20240417_085507810.jpg.e499458e1546e24fbbfa7156edc28284.jpg

The unit of Chaos Dwarfs with a Sorceror

PXL_20240416_165158293.PORTRAIT.jpg.5cbc188b4eb13bb0a258842db3f5de03.jpg

First unit of Blunderbusses - I think the Fireglaives are probably the "correct" choice, but these models are just too fun to leave out of an army.

PXL_20240320_172647713.PORTRAIT.jpg.a281b84ec056177da558c402f299ae82.jpg

A better shot of the Lammasu

PXL_20240308_145627290.jpg.b1550014cfb05391a15b1d9e4d27721b.jpg

Some sneaky gits - I've not painted any greenskins since Gorkamorka so this has been a bit of a learning experience!

PXL_20240308_152550522.PORTRAIT.jpg.26a9f97420bce7b5b25eea6ff901016d.jpg

My first ever war machine - it kind of looks like it fires out baked beans instead of magma though.

PXL_20240327_162243780.PORTRAIT.jpg.d4731c2b668d6e3733de3f6dcfb44128.jpg

Edited by Calum Todd
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 6

On 4/20/2024 at 9:16 AM, Calum Todd said:

I've been working on my 90's style Chaos Dwarfs. These are using 3D prints from Fabelzel, Brawniac and Meshy Mesh.

What I have painted so far that is a Chaos Dwarf:

PXL_20240417_085507810.jpg.e499458e1546e24fbbfa7156edc28284.jpg

The unit of Chaos Dwarfs with a Sorceror

PXL_20240416_165158293.PORTRAIT.jpg.5cbc188b4eb13bb0a258842db3f5de03.jpg

First unit of Blunderbusses - I think the Fireglaives are probably the "correct" choice, but these models are just too fun to leave out of an army.

PXL_20240320_172647713.PORTRAIT.jpg.a281b84ec056177da558c402f299ae82.jpg

A better shot of the Lammasu

PXL_20240308_145627290.jpg.b1550014cfb05391a15b1d9e4d27721b.jpg

Some sneaky gits - I've not painted any greenskins since Gorkamorka so this has been a bit of a learning experience!

PXL_20240308_152550522.PORTRAIT.jpg.26a9f97420bce7b5b25eea6ff901016d.jpg

My first ever war machine - it kind of looks like it fires out baked beans instead of magma though.

PXL_20240327_162243780.PORTRAIT.jpg.d4731c2b668d6e3733de3f6dcfb44128.jpg

Is Fabelzel 3D files that we could buy?  Haven't looked into them other than seeing their sculpts, which are AWESOME! Nice paintjobs on those.  The magma cannon looks like a Forgeworld one?

Working on my Troll Horde for now, but have some big-hats in the mail from the UK, and then I can get the Core done, and finish my warmachine and other conversions/kitbashes.  Gotta figure out how to make some old-school looking Kdaai Fireborn.  I think those could prove useful.

You can find Fabelzel models on Etsy and ebay - I find the seller UKResinPrint to be reliable. I think you can sub to the Patreons for both Brawniac and Fabelzel for just a month to get access to all the files.

The magma cannon is based on the FW design, it's a 3D print by MeshyMesh.

Currently working on my dreadquake mortar and 30 hobgoblins, which is probably too much to be trying to paint in one go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is a bolt thrower I made not that long ago. More angles in my thread. I have used the bolt thrower from the lizardmen stegadon, some sprues, wheels from a HE chariot and beastmen shields.

Chaos Dwarfs - Hobgoblin bolt thrower

hobgoblin-bolt-thrower.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 4 weeks later...

Took a month, but I've finished the Hobgoblins and the Dreadquake!

Starting to get the hang of painting greenskin but it still feels weird to do. I don't think I have a decent enough variety of greens to do the skin properly.

PXL_20240521_145243428.jpg.7a514f84017e0d70af52344786b26069.jpg

An updated photo of the army so far.

PXL_20240521_191248463.PORTRAIT.jpg.656a3198b6eb2532742e5012b4e306a8.jpg

Still to do:

• 10 Blunderbusses
  • 5 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders
  • Deathshrieker Rocket
  • 3 Fimir/K'Daai
  • 6 Bullcentaurs
  • Like 4