Can one unit charge multipal units?

Aeonotakist

Question

10 answers to this question

Basically, charging is the only way to get within 3'' of any enemy models, but once you're there, you can pile in towards anyone you like who is at least 3'' away (ie. you can't "pile in" towards a unit half way across the table) and attack whoever is in range once you get there. I once had a vargheist reach over a bunch of plaguebearers to finish off a great unclean one who thought he was safely bubble wrapped.

But don't forget, once you're in contact with an enemy model, you can't pile in anymore, because it's impossible to get closer than contact. One of the things you can do with pile-in moves is lock down enemy models to stop them from getting where they want to go via pile-in moves. It's also what makes abilities to summon without range restrictions - for example, Neferata's ability to make vampires out of slain heroes - so powerful. You can summon them right on top of an enemy model and prevent it from piling in any further.

34 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

You don't charge units you charge distance and you don't have to charge even if your roll allows you to,  so if you can make it, but not to where you want to be, you can refuse that charge 

I do not think this is allowed. If you roll high enough to reach a enemy unit you need to move.

On 10/7/2016 at 10:50 AM, Arkiham said:

It's the same as the battle shock phase. It's optional to move units or models, I quite often don't pile in as it would trigger another combat

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Combat Phase. I don't think anything (short of certain special abilities) is optional in the Battleshock Phase.

There is iirc one strange 'must' in the pile in the combat phase wording. I think it's the opponent.

But that's activation. Even if pile ins were compulsory its 'up to' 3 inches. Micrometers are 'up to'.

I've had some interesting interpretations of pile ins from a few opponents the past while:

They must

They must go straight to nearest model

They must go the full distance or to a model's base whichever is first

Archived