To sculpt an HP Lovecraft head on my King Brodd, or not?

I'm in the works of making my Lovecraftian themed megagargants.  Got a Cthulhu going (tentacle face and wings and claws, soon scaley skin)...a Nyarlathotep (big tentacles coming out of an old Balewind Vortex)....Yog-Sothoth (Tyranid Tyrannocyte which will have big eyeballs and globes all over besides the tentacles and mouth at the top).

Then I wanted to do HPLovecraft as King Brodd (or Gatebreaker as the mood strikes me).  But my wife said that might be a bad idea because of being a noted racist.  I hadn't thought of that, and dang it, really wanted that to finish off the HPL theme.  I glued all kinds of books and scrolls on his base as sort of a shattered library.  

What do people think of this?  Would that upset anyone?  I don't want to give anyone bad gameplay cuz they're wondering if I'm championing bad things, whereas I'm actually trying to pay homage to fictional giant otherworldly things beyond good and evil.

Trying to think what else I could do...maybe the pharaoh Nephren-Ka (for which I'll need an old Necrosphinx kit for the bits).

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

37 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

What do people think of this?  Would that upset anyone?

Lovecraft is just a single author and cosmic horror as a genre has grown into so much more. The man is long gone but the mythos he created still capture many people's imagination. There is a cosmic void between engaging in the mythos and endorsing his personally held beliefs. 

In short, I'd love to see where you take this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cuthulu stuff is exceptionally mainstream and very accepted. Yes the author was a racist, but the actual mythos has long since separated from its creator and stands on its own two legs. 

There are loads of icons, artwork, major references in TV shows, plushies, heck Tyranids have several units using tentacle faces. If anything you could use the genestealer face parts (ebay will likely have a good few) or Venomthrope face parts to create the tentacles. If you wanted larger ones then Venomthrope arms would work if cut down. 

• Like 1

Here's what I've got going so far, which isn't too far along yet. 

Cthulhu has the prodigious claws and once I do the scales should have the rubbery man-dragon-octopus look;  his weapon is magnetized so could be a Kraken-Eater too. 

Found a bunch of Plague Monk books and scrolls for the smashed library base. 

Nyarlathotep/nameless horror I've used as Krondspine too; I might make a flail to either hook or magnetize on there to be another Gatebreaker.

Yog-Sothoth I haven't much begun quite yet.  Being The Gate, probably should also be a Gatebreaker, maybe with a big chained monolith amidst the bottom tentacles which would also add support structure.  Gathering as many spherical bits for the 'congeries of globes' as I can, and will supplement with greenstuff when ready.

For some Mancrushers I'll do a Shoggoth (easy way to use random bits!), a Mi-Go, and then just a more mutated Chaos Gargant.

I think perhaps my solution would be to make a mask of HPL's face, and have some thing wear the mask.  Hmmm, I like the sound of that.  More pictures as I go!

IMG20231129113250.jpg

IMG20231129113333.jpg

IMG20231129113352.jpg

IMG20231129113432.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

After consideration and various opinions, I must agree with this sentiment.  Thus, I have decided to just make a deathmask of his face and put it over an alien head.  

That‘s actually an even cooler idea in my opinion, very creative too. 👌 Love where you‘re going with your models, I bet you army will win a lot of hearts (or drive lots insane!).

• Like 1

I agree that the man him self was a horrendous bigot who doesn't deserve to be commemorated. That said, i feel as though depicting him as (or as part of) one of the hideous abominations he inspired could be seen as a commentary on the monstrous nature of his beliefs, as much as a glorification of them. 

I kind if love the mask idea, as your kind of capturing the notion that behind the veneer of respectability lies something as twisted and horrible as anything he imagined. If executed well it could actually be a fairly powerful political statement.

The works in progress look amazing! I'll look forward to seeing more.

• Thanks 1