Pinch's Cities of Sigmar Crusade Force

PinchPainting

Hi, 
Long time lurker but first time poster in the forum, Wanted to show of my new cities of sigmar project im starting,

Everything thing here is still very WIP but the aim is to have a cities army more akin to a old world or medieval army with lots of different heraldry throughout. 
My first unit of steelhelms I have gone with the idea of doing all entirely different heraldry although there will be some repeats in later forces representing lords sending multiple troops and not just one. I will try to flesh out some custom lore for each house as i go but everything as with the models them selves are unfinished. 

We have three examples of where am at with these guys bellow with a white and blue, red and blue and unusually brown scheme for these guys with all freehanded symbols. Still details that need fixing or finishing ( clearly the weapons ) for each but really happy with how they are looking 

image.jpeg.f2ee8340ca2e2c467cdc75bf2a0e7c96.jpeg

You can see the rest of the unti as they stand bellow with all their symbols and cloths set out 

3-J9iF1Gh.jpg.d266c3b827f389f6e751b54537da7ff1.jpg

11-iIYBI1f.jpg.2d60ec104d20e2dbf6ff97ee57a6c415.jpg

9-3JxJF4v.jpg.84ae66bf51f83684a4a4872f82ee5c3f.jpg

7-oGMFFlu.jpg.c636f1be1e37fce53b67c863323c65a5.jpg

6-HUHo3y6.jpg.11f89d4014a33a9acac7876c55b16785.jpg

5-HXV3E7t.jpg.ebe9d2697de7caa58f1b45285ee5d386.jpg

One that i do want to highlight is the banner which is not the symbol of any lord or noble but the symbol of their crusade force. The yellow royal eagle showing the crusade has royal consent to operate , the green and white swords representing it as a crusade rather then another thing given royal approval and the white showing the church. These should apear often on anyone/thing that is crusade specific like unit banners rather then something from the houses.

4-l6mmW2v.jpg.e3c41979cf5c32a6cff7ff0e3902e626.jpg

Lastly I have been working on the weapons and think i have something  to repeat  for the rest of the squad  

image.jpeg.18ad4375d0dc4a18323114280eb78f30.jpeg

Hope you like the posts as i want to keep this project going. I likely wont post again until this squad is done ( including basing which i am very up in the air on ) but will also be looking to enter a few cities into golden demon next year with an aim to beat my record this year which was one finalist pin by taking home two. Unsure what units /models i will aim for that idea though.

8 - rzsUYA4.jpg

10 - C4dvBqE.jpg

12 - EKvoRju.jpg

image.jpeg

Edited by PinchPainting
Tags
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 5

Very cool stuff. I like the idea of doing bisected colours on the collar on the Steelhelms. I have been painting them solid in the interest of speed on my own guys for now, but the heraldry of my city nominally has a quartered design.

I'm also really into the freehand you are doing. I have been leaving the diamonds on the shields and banners blank so far, because I don't want to use the transfers, but maybe I need to step up my game a bit, haha. You are definitely pulling it up super well.

22 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Very cool stuff. I like the idea of doing bisected colours on the collar on the Steelhelms. I have been painting them solid in the interest of speed on my own guys for now, but the heraldry of my city nominally has a quartered design.

I'm also really into the freehand you are doing. I have been leaving the diamonds on the shields and banners blank so far, because I don't want to use the transfers, but maybe I need to step up my game a bit, haha. You are definitely pulling it up super well.

Going into it I was worried their wasn't enough cloth to showcase the colours but the steelhems work fine for it. The advantage of full custom for every guy is I don't need to make any freehand match... Yet 

Another Update to my crusade at least temporary named Crusade Morientis Lux

My main guys are now looking a lot more done and on bases. While touch up are needed everywhere I'm very happy that they now look like a squad. Biggest change since last time is the basing which i went for a orangey autumn look to them. It stands out ( a little less in person ) but should massively unify the force with all their different colours and is simple enough to do a large force in it. 
I'm particularly happy on the middle and right hand faces on these two as they are both quite different but haggard in their own right. The left guy face ( out of focus) is weaker but I'm super happy with his heraldry and will likely do my next knight in it and be used a lot

1-QlTZLFT.jpg.cf6dcc838ae1a7dd54164d9f4439a533.jpg

My leader is still looking strong with his classic red and yellow look and tried to give him a little but not a lot more elevation. As is a theme the left face is out of focus but I'm less happy with how the orange turned out on the left guys stuff, will need to try more oranges but the key icon is solid enough to carry it.

2-Hjpzm0o.jpg.1d2d6206144dd69ed20f2bb79a9d15c5.jpg

Struggled the hardest getting the flag in this image so the faces look a bit odd but still supper happy. The banner was a pain the ass to do ( and i did it on both sides) and the other two's icons are simple but solid 

image.jpeg.fc90b9dfa07235ba0a6aa35b95465a8e.jpeg

Now onto some WIP the basing still need a wash for the relic squire guy but I'm quite happy with how his face and wood look. I may retouch some of the armour and clothes as I'm still not content with how they look and his hair needs some work though. Hes matched with one of my most solid guys though where I'm very happy with the face, armour and symbols.

image.jpeg.5a4c1005d8f17a0d3838007e2598ea19.jpeg

Matching this guy is my first knight which still has quite a few unpainted elements but enough to showcase how they should look. Takes way to long to paint these guys ATM so i need to find a way to speed it up or break up painting them quite a bit.

6-6pVFHgI.jpg.9fce7680c1a9cdf28620cb6d67c9f3fc.jpg

7-LvtoJ7H.jpg.96f2795c8de5edef4aab309bcc532f58.jpg

Finally the man with the tiniest eyes. I was super worried that my hq would have the worst painted head due to how tiny and old the details are on this but starting to get happy with them. still a bit of work needed but its turning out better then i hoped. 

image.jpeg.a2d77fcb22383620bd59a65122fc208c.jpeg

image.png.6c900f0e77e1554cd6b3111cf542b675.png

Anyway that's all for now. Will post again when i have more done or started who knows 

image.jpeg

Edited by PinchPainting
Fixed double image
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update here but have been working steadily through everything.
In a bit of a small pivot i worked on some vampire hunters and i am quite happy with how they turned out. Still some details on them to finish but overall love the pallets and happy that both their tiny faces turned out okay 

391578844_1184531089130045_2323988136634654091_n.jpg.98c8571cfad3111ded78ec0a4bc69cdc.jpg

391578536_1184531149130039_404780307147137413_n.jpg.accc3aa5fce9cabdd8d7e268a743f6ee.jpg

They didn't fit in too well with my other cities guys until based but once they had they fit fine to my eye. 
For now though a beefy lad has taken my interest 

image.png.1ef3b8841ec57be9f405949e07dc918a.png

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Lord Veshnakar said:

I SO LOVE this very desaturated style. It looks very intentional and I think it sets a perfect mood. I think it would look amazing with some source lighting as well, personal opinion obviously, but I feel like it fits the style/direction you were going for.  Excited to see where you go with this!

OSL is something i want to improve on but its also normally THE element when introduced on a model . if you look at cult of paints versions with the torch its a stunning effect but with myself being not quite as good at it as i think i am in other areas it would stand out as bad on a hq. I will look to push it as i try to improve 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...