Cities of Sigmar Hobby & Lore 2: Dawnbringer Boogaloo

Neil Arthur Hotep

14 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Confirmed: Fusiliers are on 28mm bases

(Sword and Steele confirmed it)

different matter: I haven’t preordered anything, the prices put me off big time. I‘ll rather be proxing and using what I already own.

what about you guys?

In fact it is a weird one. 28,5mm.

image.png.e1ad7c182814c319af20178a8d907442.png

49 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

different matter: I haven’t preordered anything, the prices put me off big time. I‘ll rather be proxing and using what I already own.

what about you guys?

Honestly, pleasantly surprised by some of the pricing (most of the kits are ridiculously discounted at my go-to retailer for some reason, to the point where a box of Steelhelms costs almost the same as the old Freeguild Guard kit did ordering direct, adjusted for inflation/price hikes), although I agree that the official MSRP is a bit high for me.

Also, I just love the new range too much to not invest in at least a Castelite formation in addition to the launch box. Currently thinking about getting 2-3 Fusilier squads, Cannons and ogors and a command squad over time after I'm finished with what I already have.

Edited by Asbestress
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Continuing the techhy chamon theme I had with my fusilier kitbashes I have now made some cavaliers from the 40k rough rider kit with some sallet helm style headswaps (but keeping the cool mongolian style hats) The kit itself feels like it translates pretty nicely over to AoS for that more realm of metal feel as the horses themselves dont have anything tooo out of place really.

20231029_140014.jpg

20231029_161218.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Asbestress said:

pleasantly surprised by some of the pricing

hnnnn i think everyone on internet think the oposite,many of the new kits are overpriced(in money)

so far:

steelhelms are ok.

fusilers are ok or maybe even less than the usual 50€

the comand group is ok.

cavaliers are ok.

but thats all.

then zynestra is way too much expensive,marshal in ogor,artillery,marshal on horse all those are around 20% expensiver than the normal for similar heroes and plastic in other factions.

and the worst is thalia,she cost 120€ when must cost around 70/80€.

just compare to mew dragon of sc,same detaill,same named monobuild,same amount of plastic and number of sprues,even the points the dragon is expensiver.

but the dragon cost 70€ and thalia 120€.

i wont buy nothing with these prices,i preffer wait for the vanguard or battleforce of next year

Edited by Doko
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

what about you guys?

After the launch box, my first list just needs 20 Fusiliers, a Command Corps and Zenestra. I find that all of them are unique enough models that I am willing to pay GW prices and not proxy. I specifically avoided buying Handgunners in the past to wait for the update, so I will definitely get the new models now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doko said:

hnnnn i think everyone on internet think the oposite,many of the new kits are overpriced(in money)

so far:

steelhelms are ok.

fusilers are ok or maybe even less than the usual 50€

the comand group is ok.

cavaliers are ok.

but thats all.

then zynestra is way too much expensive,marshal in ogor,artillery,marshal on horse all those are around 20% expensiver than the normal for similar heroes and plastic in other factions.

and the worst is thalia,she cost 120€ when must cost around 70/80€.

just compare to mew dragon of sc,same detaill,same named monobuild,same amount of plastic and number of sprues,even the points the dragon is expensiver.

but the dragon cost 70€ and thalia 120€.

i wont buy nothing with these prices,i preffer wait for the vanguard or battleforce of next year

I prefer to wait for that kind of boxes as well. As I am not a player I just ordered Tahlia, but my doubt when I am waiting is always the same. How many price increases could we have in between? Maybe we end paying the same in the end. So I am always checking and if a price increase comes, I will do my maths in case it ends being cheaper with current prices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I prefer to wait for that kind of boxes as well. As I am not a player I just ordered Tahlia, but my doubt when I am waiting is always the same. How many price increases could we have in between? Maybe we end paying the same in the end. So I am always checking and if a price increase comes, I will do my maths in case it ends being cheaper with current prices.

Waiting 4 weeks after the release helps as well since GW makes the most profit in the first 2 Weeks of preorder. They’ll notice the lack in „insta buy“ attitude.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

yes i do the same,i usually only buy units and start collectings with bundles or special ocasions as black friday that have more disscount and also just when i hear about prices increases(como  se nota que ambos somos españoles y aqui nuestro salario no esta al nivel del resto de paises haha)

• Haha 1

Does anyone know how tall the ironweld great cannon is? I know its on a 90mm base. Wanting to get an idea because I might be debating kitbashing an elephant cannon.. (I've been playing too much Medieval 2 total war) and want to try and get dimensions so I can sort out a model as I think the lotr mumak might be way too large. 

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Long time no post here, even if I've been busy (very slowly) painting my army box. But I just found this conversion online and I feel like it's worth sharing !

image.png.5ac6f4f7da4eab8eacb10ec1b4ac719d.png

The Kharadron domed turrets really complement the Steam Tanks well.

Wow. The Cannon extra pieces also give it a really nice touch. Also, the back wheels are covered with something else as well, right? It is looking pretty nice.

There's another one in the background that seems to have a different configuration as well, but I cannot imagine what it is.

Edited by Ejecutor

I just finished painting my Command Corps and thought it would be a good time to contribute to this thread a bit.

20240205_083044.jpg.0886c29baac64c1d12162853fe20b810.jpg

I painted these guys to represent my homebrew city, Schwarzerden. Briefly, the idea is that Schwarzerden is a city in Chamon which is known for its skills in alchemy. The name is actually a reference to that: Schwarzerden means "black earth", and apparently one of the etymologies of "alchemy" is that it comes from "Kemet", which also means "black" and refers to ancient Egypt (the land of black earth). Basically, Schwarzerden is supposed to be smaller City of Sigmar controlled by the local Collegiate Arcane, which I represent on the table by using Hallowheart's rules.

20240205_083342.jpg.e72fe93dacdbc7a55d6947d54d59fe8d.jpg

For uniform/heraldy colours, I went with orange and off-white. These are supposed to be the colours of the (only) local Freeguild of the city, the Sun's Splendor (which is another reference to an alchemical text). I actually decided on these colours some time around the release of the 2nd ed Cities book, and weirdly now some kind of warm red or orange and white seems like one of the most popular paint schemes for Cities. I guess Hammerhal now being red/white is what drives it.

The Whisperblade is the first unit of the Corps that I painted, and it was mostly just to relax after batch-painting Steelhelms and Fusiliers. I went with leaving visible brush strokes to speed up painting and give some texture to the cloth. One thing I tried with this guy that didn't work out is that I actually pre-shaded the whole cape in orange before putting a black-brown ink on it, which ended up totally overpowering it. I had to re-do all the highlights after.

The War Surgeon, similarly, was more or less just an exercise in applying my army colour scheme. I think the most notable thing about it from a painting perspective is that I use mostly just one common shade and highligh colour for everything: Sepia ink for shading (to lean into the medieval art vibes) and light yellow for highlights (to keep the palette warm). I try to keep to a fairly tight palette in order to unify the look and don't use a lot of different paints. The one notable extra thing on the War Surgeon is the tiny bit of object source lighting I did on the lamp. I did it by lightening the surrounding area and then glazing in the light effect using yellow ink and fluoro paint.

20240205_083625.jpg.a01f0e54aed34504d44c6b05a3658dcb.jpg

The Arch Knight and Great Herald are good examples of the metallics I do in this army. They actually tie into the fluff for my city: One of the goals of the city is supposed to be the alchemical creation of Sigmarite, the metal that divine Stormcast armour is made of. So far, the best of they have been able to manage, however, is a type of enhanced steel, which is lighter and more durable than normal, and has a blue shine to it.

The Great Herald is a nice example of how I want to express the city's skill at metallurgy through the banners, for which I have painted the central square with metallic paints. Schwarzerden is supposed to be so good at metal working that they can even manage to make sheets of metal thin enough to the point that they behave like cloth and can be incorporated into their banners. For the "insignia", I sketched out in sunrise in metallics, but I actually want to express that this is the environment being reflected in the banner.

The Arch Knight illustrates how I do metallics with this army, which is by painting the left side bright and the right side dark. All the metallics are sketched out in silver, and then later tinted with blue ink mixed with gloss medium. The left side then gets extra silver highlights, while the right side gets another coat of a black wash. That gives you the dramatic difference in tone appropriate to metal, and is a very quick way to do it. The recipe is super simple otherwise: Just steel paint with silver highlights.

Since in the fluff the blue metal I use is supposed to be lighter, I paint weapons like axes in regular steel/silver (because you would not want them to be light, the weight is the point). This also helps them stand out more, because my usual process of tinting with ink makes the metallics overall darker. The lighter silver can serve as a focal point.

20240205_083532.jpg.cda6ac5e01f4e00da5bd535e8a26c648.jpg

Lastly, there's these two weirdos. I wanted to use the Mascot Gargoylian and Soul Shepard as excuses to break the rules a little and do some weird stuff.

For the Gargoylian, I thought there should be no reason for it to be bound by my usual paint scheme. Instead, I used all the base colours from my palette (the blue from the armour, red from the bases and yellow highlight colour) to give it a very vibrant and unnatural look. After all, it is supposed to be a weird little magical creature, and if magical stuff cannot be colourful, why even play a fantasy game? I grew up with Super Nintendo RPGs as one of my first sources of exposure to fantasy stuff, and the colourful style of those games is still something I love an try to capture in my painting. For the Gargoylian, I did a little wet-on-wet painting, and again didn't fuss too much about the brush strokes.

The Soul Shepard is the last model I painted for this unit, and he (she?), too, gets to be colourful. I have some fluff for this: Even though the clergy of Schwarzerden are nominally part of the regular Sigmarite church, I like to think that their specific sect has grown out of older indigenous shamanistic traditions, which is reflected by their mismatched, colourful and patterned robes as well as their emphasis on the sun in their worship (which ties them back to the Sun's Splendor Freeguild, as well). This is why I wanted to paint the Shepard with very vibrant robes and move outside the usual palette by including purple.

From a painting standpoint, on this model I made extensive use of wet blending on the robes and smoke. I am not very good at it yet, but I think a one-off weirdo like this guy is a good place to practice. You can see how I make use of the universal yellow highlight in this model: The smoke and robes (both top and bottom) always go up to light yellow at their brightest highlight. I also wanted to include patterns such as the red stripes on the skirt and the africanesque squares on the sleeve. I don't know if you would get to "shamanism" (I had Korean shamans in mind, mostly) without knowing that is what I am shooting for, but I think you can see it if I tell you. Now that I have committed to this fluff, it will be fun once I get around to Zenestra.

The Doot Skeleton was painted to resemble the piece of medieval art that it clearly comes from:

322b8ccc28278dcd4987c9c5840739ca.jpg.868bd559f2260db68616a4398cf41fae.jpg

But with some orange mixed into the basic skin colour to keep it within the palette.

Other than that, I think the only thing left to talk about is bases. Generally, I use cobblestone streets (it is a Cities army, after all), which I paint in a gradient of red-orange-yellow-white, and then wash with sepia and drybrush off-white. When I have to have earth, I paint it black-brown, as the name Schwarzerden would suggest. Vegetation get yellow-orange leaves to stay within the warm palette.

That's it, I believe! I hope you find this kind of thing interesting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is worth an entire post, but I thought this was kinda neat so why not? Might make a compilation of all gargoyles from the new minis later.

The back of the Steelhelm unit champion's hammer is a really simple bird. I just thought it was a little nick but it's there on both sides at the same spot. Makes me want the bird Arch-Knight even more 🥲

image.png.de797ab989b3ead556fd17cc09d1697d.png

Maybe it could be picked out a little better? Glowing hammer eyes might be a bit much, but...

Spoiler

image.png.f35f6e5a54235fb592a58852b8b23dbd.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2024 at 10:08 PM, Asbestress said:

Not sure if this is worth an entire post, but I thought this was kinda neat so why not? Might make a compilation of all gargoyles from the new minis later.

The back of the Steelhelm unit champion's hammer is a really simple bird. I just thought it was a little nick but it's there on both sides at the same spot. Makes me want the bird Arch-Knight even more 🥲

image.png.de797ab989b3ead556fd17cc09d1697d.png

Maybe it could be picked out a little better? Glowing hammer eyes might be a bit much, but...

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.f35f6e5a54235fb592a58852b8b23dbd.png

The best gargoyle in Cities is obviously the butt gargoyle from Zenestra's palanquin:

Unbenannt.PNG.c845deb8b6246265a964c977f080111e.PNG

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I think this patreon has some pretty sweet stuff for a custom CoS army this month (left side):

Titan-Forge Miniatures | Creating 3D Models for 3D Printing - RPG, Board & Tabletop Games | Patreon

image.png.c9be1974b2c339ffb2c03636ddcdae10.png

My bad about this one. When I went to purchase it I realized it was the previous year Feb one... -.-

But last word has some interesting Flagellants for this month's Patreon:

image.png.0e4e8003656f87f558cee272b07949a6.png

• Like 1

Not sure what the consensus on homebrew rules is here, but personally I really like making them, especially if I have a concrete idea what I'm making it for. And I mainly play the game in places/with people who don't really mind some custom additions (whenever I get around to my annual 1-3 games).

Spoiler

image.png.adfb5fb98010360225d02222a7676ab8.png

Long story short, I got really inspired to make this lad into a Ghur battlemage, which then led to these glorious (and probably broken) rules:

Spoiler

image.jpeg.6a266ab1051fb02e896351da9a119d3c.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got my kitbashed Cavalier-Marshall painted, finally.

20240410_091401.jpg.7c0997598576c8cbe1fa094fffabdada.jpg

I think the Lord Solar kit is a pretty cool option if you want an alternative Marshal (although the regular one is pretty great). The robot horse is pretty great if your army is based in Chamon.

I used foot Marshal and Freeguild Cavalier bits on this guy. You will need to source a base if you are interest in doing this conversion, because the base size of the Lord Solar is quite significantly different from the Cavalier Marshal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I got my kitbashed Cavalier-Marshall painted, finally.

20240410_091401.jpg.7c0997598576c8cbe1fa094fffabdada.jpg

I think the Lord Solar kit is a pretty cool option if you want an alternative Marshal (although the regular one is pretty great). The robot horse is pretty great if your army is based in Chamon.

I used foot Marshal and Freeguild Cavalier bits on this guy. You will need to source a base if you are interest in doing this conversion, because the base size of the Lord Solar is quite significantly different from the Cavalier Marshal.

Wow. It looks fancy!

Just now, Ejecutor said:

Wow. It looks fancy!

He is a fancyman :)

I wanted a model that looked a little less haggard than the normal Cavalier Marshal, because my army is from a city that is proud of their wealth and artisan skill. But I still wanted him to look like a soldier rather than a knight.

I think I got there in the end, and I think the added AoS bits actually make the model read as Cities of Sigmar instead of Imperial Guard at a glance. I swapped out his gun for one from the old Pistolier kit, as well. You can see it a little in this picture.

20240407_192622.jpg.a2f30c74f1cebcd34204d1654a3b436a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...