AoS Cities of Sigmar Battletome 2023 Discussion

Besides the battlescroll, other FAQS were also released.

Changes compiled here:

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/11vyHIZbVbCz0x684pKcpQcpyeZfEFfbG2ssjcQM8ymw/mobilebasic#heading=h.lj9pxzg7snx7

Importantly, the "pick FAQ" was reversed. So you now need to spread out your Command Corps healing to three different units and can't pick the same Zenestra prayer twice anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Feeling like the best use of flaming weapons now is to cast it on a squad of Cavaliers before sending them into melee… 

You need to keep them wholly within 12 of the alchemite, so probably not on the alpha charge. But might be good for grinding.

I have been getting some nice surprise kills out of Steelhelms with blazing weapons. The damage is surprising good. Not sure if I would build around it, though.

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

You need to keep them wholly within 12 of the alchemite, so probably not on the alpha charge. But might be good for grinding.

I have been getting some nice surprise kills out of Steelhelms with blazing weapons. The damage is surprising good. Not sure if I would build around it, though.

I forgot they have to remain within 12”… that’s a bummer.

Blazing weapons Steelhelms ? This might be a nice surprise tech. No one would expect the screen unit to hit above their weight class. I don’t think this kills the Warforger. You can still spend the power of his crucible for the +1 save around 12” (free all out defense!) and transmutation of lead isn’t bad.

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Firegelants. That's the unit you were looking for.

Wildercorps have 29 attacks for 130. 
Flagellants have 21 attacks for 100, steel helms the same. Correcting for points doggy boys have 22.3 attacks per 100 points.

Cavaliers  have 26 attacks including horses, working out as 14.4 per 100 points. Much better attack profile on 16 of them though. 

I suspect best plan is creating a truly dreadful to charge brick. A warforger with flaming weapons and a screen of steel helms or doggos with cavaliers lurking with a potential counter charge order is not going to be something your opponent wants to deal with.

The screening unit being able to drop an expected 3-4 mortal wounds is pretty nasty anyway. 

21 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I forgot they have to remain within 12”… that’s a bummer.

Blazing weapons Steelhelms ? This might be a nice surprise tech. No one would expect the screen unit to hit above their weight class. I don’t think this kills the Warforger. You can still spend the power of his crucible for the +1 save around 12” (free all out defense!) and transmutation of lead isn’t bad.

I am planning to keep running my list with 20 fusiliers and 3 Steelhelm screens for a bit. Switching up the game plan from starting with Blazing Weapons to starting with +1 to saves. Steelhelms get to pass around all out defense to other Steelhelms, so 3+ save ignore rend 1 to start. Then Blazing Weapons is there for the counter punch.

I recently had a really good interaction, actually. Got double turned, but managed to place some good counter charge orders. I counter-charged unit of 10 Wizard Finder battalion Steelhelms and an Alchemite with a still-active Blazing Weapons aura into a big enemy wizard model in a kind of pincer move. A cool 31 3+/4+ rend 1 attacks with mortal on sixes out of nowhere. Destroyed a key enemy unit while he was supposed to be double-turning me. Definitely a cool moment that makes me not want to give up on the Alchemite so quickly.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

It’s probably the best order of them all, it’s just hard to learn how to use it.

It's true. But even if you are a dumb-dumb like me you can just run 6 heroes and put a bunch of counter-charge orders down when you get doubled, see how it shakes out 😎

Some basic tech for it:

• Use Redeploy to move a unit closer to its counter-charge target
  • Counter-Charge over your own screen with flying units
  • Remove or soften up targets with impact hits on the counter-charge
  • Move your auras around by putting counter-charge on Zenestra, the Alchemite, your Hurricanum...
  • Finest Hour on the enemy turn to get +3" to charge with cavaliers. You can use this to foil alpha charges when the opponent gets a big bonus from it (deploy outside their range as much as possible, foil their reroll command with the Whisperblade, be aware that you can reroll your own counter-charge like normal).

I am definitely having fun with it. It's really helps make the double turn more easy to survive for Cities.

Oh, and unrelated, you can also Return Fire on Unleash Hell if you have the order up.

• Like 1

Since there is not a post yet, I thought I would quickly go through the important FAQ changes for Cities:

CORE RULES

Q: Each time an ability is used, if the effect allows multiple units to be picked (e.g. a rule states ‘pick up to 3 friendly units’), can the same unit be picked more than once?

A: No.

Designer’s Note: The previous designer’s commentary that stated otherwise has been removed.

This affects the Command Corps healing ability, which you now have to spread out to three units. Contrary to what some people are saying, you can still heal the same unit(s) multiple times if you have two or more Command Corps.

BATTLETOME: CITIES OF SIGMAR

Q: Tahlia Vedra’s ‘Lead From the Front’ ability allows for the Rally command to return slain models on a roll of 4+ instead of a 6. Does this only apply when the conditions in the ability are met; i.e., do Tahlia Vedra and the unit receiving the command both need to be within 3" of any enemy units?

A: Yes.

A clarification on how the rally ability works, because it was confusing before. We now know that it is the most restrictive interpretation of the rule: You need both units within 3" to get the 4+ rally.

Q: If I can pick 2 effects for Pontifex Zenestra’s ‘Vessel of Sigmar’ prayer, can I pick the same effect twice?

This entry looks like it might be redundant given the update to the Core Rules above, but since you are not actually picking units with Zenestra, but spell effects, it needs to be clarified separately.

Q: The Freeguild Command Corps’ ‘Dispatch Spies’ ability reads: ‘Each time a command is issued, no more than 1 attempt to disrupt it can be made.’ Does this mean only 1 attempt can be made regardless of how many Freeguild Command Corps units with Whisperblades are in my army?

A: Yes.

No idea what this entry does. Maybe just clarification, but it just amount to "the rule says what it says". I have seen claims that it means you cannot disrupt two command in a turn even if you have two Whisperblades, but it does not in fact say that. The rule is still clearly restricted to "each time a command is issued", so for different commands you can make separate attempts.

Q: If a unit is destroyed by a shooting attack made by a Cities of Sigmar unit that was picked for the ‘Suppressing Fire’ order, is the dice roll made to see if the unit becomes suppressed? This is relevant for the ‘Bring Full Arms to Bear’ battle tactic.

This entry shows that Bring Full Arms To Bear works like we all thought it does. But it is a nice reminder that you don't need to destroy a suppressed unit in combat to get the tactic: You just have to suppress and later destroy it.

Blazing Weapons

Change the last sentence to: ‘While a unit has blazing weapons, each unmodified hit roll of 6 for an attack made by that unit with a melee weapon causes 1 mortal wound to the target in addition to any damage it inflicts.’

Blazing Weapons changed to melee, as per the Battlescroll.

Page 139 – Wildercorps Hunters, Hidden and Dangerous

Change the last sentence to: ‘In addition, improve the Rend characteristic of this unit’s missile weapons by 1 while all of the models in this unit are within 1"of a terrain feature’.

Instead of getting their +1 rend for being "in cover", Wildercorps Hunters now get if for being "within 1 inch of a terrain feature". Probably because whether or not a unit is in cover depends on the relative positioning of the opponent's units. It is slightly easier to achieve now, but is a rules clarification rather than a buff.

I can no longer effectively run my Steam Tanks AND my 3 Luminarks in the same list.  So that's lame.  Instead, today I'm going to see how this does vs my Ogors Underguts (with 4 Ironblasters and Big Drogg):

Lethis/Slaughter of Sorcery/Bloodthirsty

-Steam Tank Commander (High Priest, Curse, Mastro's Magnifiscope)

-Steam Tank Commander (Heal)

-Warforger

-Mage on Hurricanum

-3 Steam Tanks

-Freeguild Command Corps

-allied 5 Tree Revenants.

2 battle regiments for a 3-drop list.  Not sure about Grand Strat yet, gotta take a look.  

Well, as it turns out, Steam Tank armies should probably always take the first turn if they have the option.  Decided to face off vs a big stompy combat army instead of my Underguts, cuz that's really what the Stanks need to deal with in hard mode.  So they fought Ogors/Winterbite w Kragnos, Big Drogg Fortkicka (Gatebreaker merc), Huskard on Stonehorn, Icebrow Hunter w 3x2 Frost Sabres.  Mission was Towers in the Tundra which is a weird mission I've never done.  

I ended up changing it a bit with 2 Stank Commanders, Pontifex Zenestra, Warforger, Lord Ordinator, 3 Stanks, Command Corps.

Cities gave Ogors turn 1, fearing a double turn.  The Huskard blessed Big Drogg for a 6+ ward and the Icebrow Hunter with Arcane Tome cast Mystic Shield on him too.  They moved up as far as they could, and then proceeded to roll 3 amazing 3D6 charges thanks to Kragnos 11" on the Huskard, then 13" for Drogg and 14" for Kragnos.  At the bottom of turn 1 three of the Steam Tanks and the Command Corps were dead....in the Cities turn 1 after shooting Kragnos for Reprisal, the damage caused a Bellow of Rage from him that killed another Stank.  I just cleaned up after that.  

I rolled after that just to see what the Stanks could have done IF they had gone first, and yes, they COULD have killed Big Drogg in one go.  Kragnos and the Huskard could most certainly still have killed at least one tank had they gone 2nd, and either the Pontifex or the Command Corps, or maybe the Lord Ordinator with the Warforger.  But woulda been a vastly different match.  

I'll give the Stanks some more practice, though I do feel like one less and getting some other units to go nab objectives would be good.  They need the huddled support bubbles to really do their work and would have to move en masse, though they are definitely speedy when required.  I missed the Tree Revenants.

IMG20240217151815.jpg

IMG20240217151824.jpg

IMG20240217155547.jpg

On 2/18/2024 at 12:46 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

Well, as it turns out, Steam Tank armies should probably always take the first turn if they have the option

I have been running high drops, and so far it has worked out OK for me. But then again, I don't run pure Tank spam.

I find that Cities, in general, can play well both going first and second, which is part of the reason why I personally feel OK going high drops. If they let you go first, you get all your buffs up. If they make you go second, you can probably take it, or else deploy out of range far enough to blunt the alpha strike. That has been my experience even with deep strike lists.

It's good to remember that Steam Tanks have a huge threat range. 8" movement + 3" Advance in Formation + 12" minimum shooting range (+ potentially 3" extra range with the Macroscope). You should be able to back board them on most battle plans if you have to. High drops actually help you out here if you do go that road, because you get to react to the opponent's deployment more often.

I'll have a match against an alpha strike Slaves to Darkness list tomorrow, on that one battle plan that limits visibility range to 12". This should be the worst-case scenario for my lists. I'll try some stuff and see if I can give some insight on how to survive that kind of game soon.

I'll give the Stanks some more practice, though I do feel like one less and getting some other units to go nab objectives would be good.  They need the huddled support bubbles to really do their work and would have to move en masse, though they are definitely speedy when required.  I missed the Tree Revenants.

Those are the kinds of considerations that led me towards running more of a mixed arms list. Two tank commanders, because the commanders are way more self-sufficient than the regular tanks. The weaknesses of Steam Tanks are high rend and mortal wounds, so being able to self-buff with All-Out Defense, Finest Hour and Mystic Shield (with Arcane Tome) is really useful. Commanders can also heal with Heroic Healing and self-order. A single Tank Commander can leave the buff castle and do work. A single Steam Tank, much less so.

IMO the pure spam list has suffered a lot from the battlescroll. 5 Tanks + 2 Command Corps is +160 points. That probably means you have to just leave on Command Corps at home. And that means a lot less healing, more incentive to bunch up in a Death Star, less overall mobility... It has a bunch of big downstream effects. I think once you start not spamming the tanks, you fairly quickly get to the point that you end up running only two or at max three of them, because the incentives push you that way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Just a quick question : what’s your opinion on running units of 20 Steelhelms ? 

I generally like Steelhelms. I think they have potential beyond being a screening unit. Although I feel like I have to mention that they are fantastic screens, with their 6+ ward self buff and ability to project All-Out Defense to other Steelhelms.

People have so far not been paying attention to them because Cavaliers, Steam Tanks and Fusiliers looked better at first glance, but after the last battlescroll maybe it is worth considering Steelhelms and the absurd number of buffs they can receive a bit more seriously. I have yet to see anyone run a substantial number of Steelhelms, a Marshall and a Command Corps together like the rules seem to intend them to be run, but it seems like it would be solid. Especially if you also add the Alchemite into the mix.

EDIT:

I don't know how to put it, but in my experience with Steelhelms so far, they have tanked stuff I though they wouldn't tank and killed stuff I though they would not kill. I just run them as screens in groups of 10, but they just keep accidentally absorbing a bunch of buffs and then suddenly they are sitting at +2 to saves with a 5+ ward or +1 to hit and wound, mortals on 6s, +1 rend, +1 attack... I really wonder how far they could be pushed if I actually focused on supporting them.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I generally like Steelhelms. I think they have potential beyond being a screening unit. Although I feel like I have to mention that they are fantastic screens, with their 6+ ward self buff and ability to project All-Out Defense to other Steelhelms.

People have so far not been paying attention to them because Cavaliers, Steam Tanks and Fusiliers looked better at first glance, but after the last battlescroll maybe it is worth considering Steelhelms and the absurd number of buffs they can receive a bit more seriously. I have yet to see anyone run a substantial number of Steelhelms, a Marshall and a Command Corps together like the rules seem to intend them to be run, but it seems like it would be solid. Especially if you also add the Alchemite into the mix.

EDIT:

I don't know how to put it, but in my experience with Steelhelms so far, they have tanked stuff I though they wouldn't tank and killed stuff I though they would not kill. I just run them as screens in groups of 10, but they just keep accidentally absorbing a bunch of buffs and then suddenly they are sitting at +2 to saves with a 5+ ward or +1 to hit and wound, mortals on 6s, +1 rend, +1 attack... I really wonder how far they could be pushed if I actually focused on supporting them.

If I wanted to try the big blocks of Steelhelms do you think it is still best to run them in Hallowheart or Misthavn? Or do we go with Vindicarum and just rally in melee?

Something to be said for running Vendra with this and just using her to rally.

23 minutes ago, Fastner said:

If I wanted to try the big blocks of Steelhelms do you think it is still best to run them in Hallowheart or Misthavn? Or do we go with Vindicarum and just rally in melee?

I don't think steelhelms get a huge amount of stuff from any of the cities really? I'd probably go for whatever fits the rest of your force. If you are massively spamming big steel helms units it might be one of the few times I'd be tempted by Hammerhal Ghyra. Jumping to bravery 11 from 6 when you have 10 or more is pretty big. That said I feel even with the points jump for command corps then having only half your models run means you probably don't need to worry about morale that much.

Its pretty hard to get away from Hallowheart and Misthaven though. 

I still kind of want to try Lethis properly, particularly in a list with Ionus Cryptborn.  Is there any reason he can't force the Lethis prayer through if needed?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fastner said:

It's hard to say. Vindicarum, Hallowheart/Settler's Gain and Hammerhal Ghyra would have been my first picks.

Vindicarum for rally into combat like you describe.

Hallowheart and Settler's Gain so that you can make Blazing Weapons a reliable part of your game plan rather than just something nice that might happen sometimes. Also, the human lore spells have a lot of potential. Since Steelhelms are pretty slow no matter what, I think the game plan should probably be to take a charge and counter-punch. Pha's Protection would help a lot with that. A 3+, 5++ unrendable is not unreasonable to expect with that set up.

Hammerhal Ghyra helps with battleshock, which Cities has no easy way to negate completely. It would also help you get off the Freeguild Marshal's "count as two models" ability. I don't know how big of an upside that really is, though. So far I have not been having trouble contesting points with Steelhelms without it.

I personally feel that Steelhelms are more attractive as an anvil that can counter-punch rather than a hammer. So I think I would not be leaning towards subfactions that help them offensively. Making Steelhelms defensively strong is pretty easy. Making them both mobile and offnsively strong at the same time seems harder.

Well, as it turns out, Steam Tank armies should probably always take the first turn if they have the option. 

So, as promised, my experience from a recent game against an alpha strike list.

My list: Hallowheart. 2x Steam Tank Commander, Battlemage on Hurricanum, Zenestra, Warforger, Battlemage, 3x10 Steelhelms, 20 Fusiliers

My opponent: Knights of the Empty Throne. Be'Lakor, Chaos Sorcerer Lord, 6 Varanguard, 3 Varanguard, 10 Chaos Knights, 5 Chaos Knights

Pre-Battlescroll rules. Battleplan is The Frigid Zephyr (no flying and no visibility outside of 12").

TL;DR: Deploying far back, using the terrain to my advantage and screening far back allowed me to win this game 16-12 in the final rounds.

Deployment:

20240227_233940.jpg.ef1712e401c30e6b8935fe5e1e03bd58.jpg

Knights of the Empty Throne Varanguard and Chaos Knights have a huge threat range. They all have 10" movement, get run and charge, have a 3d6 charge spell and the Chaos Knights get charge bonuses on top of that. Average threat ranges around 22" or so. Massively more dangerous on the charge, too, since they all run lances.

I went into this game with the overall mentality that this was my opponent's game to lose: If he just pulls off his normal game plan, he will win, while if I tried to play my normal game plan I would lose. No visibility outside of 12" meant that my shooting and spells would not be able to target from afar like normal, so I realized that I would have to get even my shooting units in close early in order to allow them to at least do some amount of work.

With that in mind, I decided that I needed to back-board my deployment somewhat. Fully deploying out of charge range seemed bad to me, since it would leave all my units clumped up. That is very dangerous, since Varanguard get to fight twice once per battle if there are units left within 3" of them after combat. After a charge/with buffs, this could definitely wreck some of my high-value units. So I decided that it would be best to deploy in such a way that my screens are outside of 3" of my high-value units, and far enough from my opponent's deployment zone to allow a chance of at least some of his charges to fail.

I won the die roll and chose to go second. This had two advantages for me. It allowed me to react to my opponent's deployment, and it allowed me to set up terrain. I chose to place the terrain in such a way that going across the diagonal and into the different table quarters would be difficult. Limiting my opponent from moving his high-mobility units freely onto points and creating choke points was very valuable this game.

I made the decision to focus on the central and top-right objectives for this game. Top-right because the objectives are actually not the same: It is closer to my deployment zone than to that of my opponent, meaning I can sneak on the point with a Steam Tank and still be reasonably safe from a turn 1 charge. That's why the Steam Tanks and Hurricanum are packed into the corner like that.

For orders, since my opponent had no shooting I put down mostly counter-charge and movement, but also one engage the foe just to try it out. It actually worked out really nicely and allowed me to put in 31 Steelhelm attacks with Blazing Weapons up, which did a sizable amount of mortal wounds.

Here is the game state immediately after turn 1. My opponent took first turn and charged me (correct play, I think, but he had to consider it).

20240227_233754.jpg.fe16cd08c0ba8d3a4a9bc965945e01e7.jpg

Be'Lakor is out of frame contesting the top point. As you can see, only the two Varanguard made it in. They charged the top unit of Steelhelms and the Battlemage in the bottom left. I actually put that guy there as a gambit: I expected him not to be especially useful this game and though my opponent might waste the once-per-game fight twice on him. Which he did. Overall, this charge only killed 300 points: Two Steelhelm units and the battlemage.

On my turn, I got all my buffs up. Shot the small Varanguard unit off the field with the Fusiliers. Charged the Varanguard on top in the back with a Tank Commander and Steelhelms (to lock them in combat and deny their charge bonus) and basically ground them down over the following combat, shooting and magic phases.

I got the double turn after that. Took a chunk out of the 10 Chaos Knights with another round of Fusilier shooting and positioned in anticipation of a charge the turn after (made sure to have Blazing Weapons covering them for Unleash Hell). The Tanks and Hurricanum got to work on Be'Lakor and the remaining Varanguard.

I lost the Fusiliers after that to a charge from the Chaos Knights, but took a few of them with me from Unleash Hell. Very little else happened that turn because I had nothing chargeable due to terrain. Maybe the 5 Knights charged a Steam Tank? I don't remember exactly.

Around turn 3, Be'Lakor and the Varanguard were all dead, and the big Knight unit was pretty beat up. I still had the two Tanks, Hurricanum, Zenestra, Alchemite and Command Corps left. At that point, I pretty much started dominating and took over the game and even though I scored 0 points the first two turns it was enough to grind out the win.

This was a good game that I could definitely have lost during deployment. I think holding back my high-value pieces and taking favourable engagements was the key to victory.

Extra pictures:

Spoiler

20240227_233849.jpg.3ffba0646bc13f40863a6161adbcd61e.jpg20240227_233922.jpg.aaa49cf873f16eb757035c84042276fe.jpgIMG-20240227-WA0002.jpg.c7429474266e143d94672b6ff570d8b5.jpgIMG-20240227-WA0004.jpg.d062ac521ab97892c183807b57c255d2.jpgIMG-20240227-WA0005.jpg.2f8cfe6bb0d1c2b8bfa51f0d03350d8e.jpg

20240227_233836.jpg.8402232faf7e657a48efd85d127eb595.jpg

Some random things that stood out to me:

• The Command Corps will definitely stay in my list even if it is 200 points now. Stopping commands and healing is enough to make it worth that, plus it also came in clutch late game by doing its battle tactic and killing some stuff.
  • Steam Tank Commanders are just so much more fun to play than regular Steam Tanks. The access to that extra +1 to saves from Finest Hour is just so good on a 2+ save base. Really feels powerful and worth the points.
  • I also continue to be impressed by the Hurricanum. +1 to hit on everything in range, every phase, without using commands is just so good. Way better than it looks on paper. And the Storm of Shemtek is such a threat late game. Even Chain Lighting is kind of a neat spell. I really want to continue running the double Tank Commander + Hurricanum setup. It feels very strong and fun.
  • Fusiliers did well this game, but without the ability to do mortals at range they would not have. I will continue to run the same list for at least a few games, because I am locked into it for league matches. But I suspect that in the future, the 20 Fusiliers will not make the cut until they drop back down to 150 or even 140 points.
  • Something that helped me a lot this game is how many incidental mortal wounds everything did. d3 from impact hits with the Steam Tank. 2d3 from Zenestra being in combat. d3 on a bunch of units from chain lightning. d3 from Storm of Shemtek round 1. 5 wounds from Transmutation of Lead because I got an extra cast. A few wounds from Steelhelms, Steam Tanks or the Command Corps being in range of Blazing Weapons. This stuff adds up over the course of a game.
  • Like 2

Awesome report and well played!  Glad the feeble mortals can hold their own.  I must agree, the dual STC and Hurricanum looks like a great combo, and holding them back, especially the Hurricanum, lets it live until it can dish out many many D3s of MW in one go.  

What Mark of Chaos did he use on the Varanguard and Knights?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

What Mark of Chaos did he use on the Varanguard and Knights?

All Khorne except for the 10 Knights which were Nurgle marked and had the Eroding Icon. Luckily, most of my damage against them came from shooting and mortals, so it did not matter that much.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

On 2/22/2024 at 1:31 PM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

with their 6+ ward self buff

image.gif.1e4f3c0989d7d8092a2a26a6fd7f7cc4.gif

15 CoS games in I haven’t succeeded A SINGLE ROLL FOR THAT ABILITY. I brought Steelhelms in every single game and had them on objectives for several turns each.

image.gif.4c4cda080d4a5ee79033baa64dda1b90.gif

• Haha 2

On 3/1/2024 at 5:07 PM, JackStreicher said:

image.gif.1e4f3c0989d7d8092a2a26a6fd7f7cc4.gif

15 CoS games in I haven’t succeeded A SINGLE ROLL FOR THAT ABILITY. I brought Steelhelms in every single game and had them on objectives for several turns each.

image.gif.4c4cda080d4a5ee79033baa64dda1b90.gif

I got some value out of it once or twice, but I feel it fails a lot more than it succeeds. The timing is just kinda tricky: Since you only roll to consecrate an objective in your own movement phase, it does nothing for you if you get alpha'd. And when I don't get alpha'd, I usually have the Zenestra ward up instead.

I wish the rule was just "6+ ward on objectives you control while Steelhelm warpriests contest them".