"Elite" Flesh Eater Courts

Dangermouse425

I recently picked up the King V's Ghoulish Host box, a cracking value set with loads of Horrors/Flayers for a new project. (Because I needed more of those!) After seeing @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary)'s and @Ben Johnson's FEC at the Facehammer GT, I'm super stoked for this new army.

My plan is to make either a Crypt Flayer or Crypt Horror army, using the buffs from either the Deadwatch or Attendants at Court formations respectively. I had thought of achieving the latter via the Abattoir formation, but I'd rather just keep it elite. I've recently just finished my horde Moonclan Grots army so am now looking forward to running any army with fewer models!

List One: The Flayers

Crypt Infernal Courtier - 140 (General: Ruler of the Night) (Ring of Immortality)
Crypt Infernal Courtier - 140
Varghulf Courtier - 160 (Cloak of Mist and Shadows)
Abhorrent Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon - 400

6 x Crypt Flayers - 320
6 x Crypt Flayers - 320
6 x Crypt Flayers - 320

Warscroll Battalion: Deadwatch - 160

1960/2000

A slightly tweaked version of the above was suggested by @scrubyandwells in a recent post, replacing the second Infernal Courtier with an additional 3 Flayers in one unit, taking the total to 1980pts. Is four Leaders here too much? The idea would be that each unit of 6 Flayers advances with either an Infernal Courtier or the AGK on ZD, whilst the Varghulf Courtier zooms off to try and take out synergy/buffing Leaders.

List Two: The Horrors

Crypt Haunter Courtier - 120 (General: Ruler of the Night) (Ring of Immortality)
Crypt Haunter Courtier - 120 (+Another Artefact tbc)
Abhorrent Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon - 400 (Cloak of Mist and Shadows)

9 x Crypt Horrors - 420
9 x Crypt Horrors - 420
6 x Crypt Horrors - 280
6 x Crypt Horrors - 280 

Warscroll Battalion: Attendants at Court - 100

The cloak of YOLO allows the AGK to zoom off and do some damage elsewhere, since the AaC Warscroll Bn buffs the Horrors in the same way as they would be with a GK nearby.

1960/2000

List Three: A Mix?

The final option would be to combine the two, running a minimum Deadwatch and Attendants to achieve something along these lines. A three-drop army with a bit more of a balanced approach, but no Zombie Dragon. :(

Crypt Infernal Courtier - 140 (General: Ruler of the Night) (Ring of Immortality)

3 x Crypt Flayers - 160
3 x Crypt Flayers - 160
3 x Crypt Flayers - 160
9 x Crypt Horrors - 420
9 x Crypt Horrors - 420

2000/2000

Has anyone had any success or experience running primarily Horrors and/or Flayers? Would love to hear any feedback or thoughts.

DM

I've been thinking of doing something similar with the Flesh Eater Courts. I bought the book as I have always liked the idea of an all ghoul army and I love the lore, but having painted and pushed 82 dark Aelf models around the table at Facehammer GT I don't want to do another mass infantry army! The Crypt Horrors/flayers are amazing models too. So yeah I think it's a good idea! I think you have got to have a zombie dragon or terrorgheist though, if for no other reason than a great centre peice for your army.

I prefer the horror list too, even if I'd change something to make more versatile. I'd keep a unit of 9 horrors to insert another Abhorrant choul ridind a DZ or terror. (i'd prefer terror for the magic ) so to have both speed with two behemoth units and massive and solid fast infantry.

16 hours ago, Dangermouse425 said:

List Three: A Mix?

The final option would be to combine the two, running a minimum Deadwatch and Attendants to achieve something along these lines. A three-drop army with a bit more of a balanced approach, but no Zombie Dragon. :(

3 x Crypt Flayers - 160
3 x Crypt Flayers - 160
3 x Crypt Flayers - 160
9 x Crypt Horrors - 420
9 x Crypt Horrors - 420

2000/2000

I like this one but I would drop the horrors down to 6 instead of 9 as it's hard to get all 9 into combat, and the. Add the zombie dragon. Reroll hit and reroll wound from AGKoZD is beast. 

56 minutes ago, WillofNagash said:

I like this one but I would drop the horrors down to 6 instead of 9 as it's hard to get all 9 into combat, and the. Add the zombie dragon. Reroll hit and reroll wound from AGKoZD is beast. 

True, though I'd have to drop the Varghulf to get the ZD in too. Definitely an option to playtest though! I think I like the idea of a mix. A bit of variety is nice!

This was the list I took to Facehammer at he weekend, I didn't put to much thought into it just filled it out with the stuff I'd painted first. With 160 points in the summoning pool.

image.jpeg

Turns out it was a great list! 

I think the strength came from the Ghoul's as they are so powerful in almost all of the Generals Handbook Battleplans, being able to threaten the opposition objectives so soon in the game was superb and made my opponent have to decide do I kill the Horror and King or the Ghoul's, not an easy choice.

Such a different gaming experience than with the Stormcast has made them such a treat.

I'm looking forward to Fast and Furious where I can try something new. 

Archived