Khorne unbinding on a 8 - D6 mortal wounds to the caster?

WAAAGHdogg15

Question

An interesting debate emerged from a recent game of mine in which I, as a Lumineth player, faced a Khorne army. The bloodthirster general had the ability (I forget its name) that if he unbound a casting attempt on an 8, the caster took D6 mortal wounds.

During the game, one of my high sentinels (sentinel champion in the unit) was unbound in such a manner when trying to cast Power of Hysh. My opponent rolled a 6 for the mortal wounds roll - so far, no problem. The question is, where do you distribute the mortal wounds?

The wording is that it is the caster who takes them and the high sentinel is the only caster in that unit. Does he therefore take all 6 and you just remove him from the unit?

Alternatively, the core rules state that when applying damage to a unit, wounds roll over onto additional models in this kind of scenario, so effectively the high sentinel would die and 5 other men from the unit.

Thirdly, could I even just choose for 6 normal sentinels to die? I think this is most unlikely because they aren't casters, so the high sentinel must have to take something, right?

We played it the first way with just the high sentinel dying, but I have since had debate with other players that we should have done it the second way. Would be intrigued to know what the masses think. 😃

7 answers to this question

It's been FAQ'd. 19.4

Q: Some effects inflict damage that can only be allocated to Wizards. Can you explain how such damage is allocated to a unit that is not a Wizard but includes models that are Wizards, e.g. a High Warden from a unit of Vanari Auralan Wardens?

A: The wounds are allocated to the unit as normal (core rules, 14.1)

So it's the third option. The unit would take 6 wounds however they can be allocated to any models in the unit

Edited by Mattrulesok
  • Like 4

The rules of the ability always supersede the core rules.  My interpretation is the caster would take them all if that's how the ability is worded.  However without seeing the actual wording of both the ability and how the champion can cast, it's not an easy one to call.  Would certainly suggest an FAQ email into GW!

19 hours ago, Mattrulesok said:

It's been FAQ'd. 19.4

Q: Some effects inflict damage that can only be allocated to Wizards. Can you explain how such damage is allocated to a unit that is not a Wizard but includes models that are Wizards, e.g. a High Warden from a unit of Vanari Auralan Wardens?

A: The wounds are allocated to the unit as normal (core rules, 14.1)

So it's the third option. The unit would take 6 wounds however they can be allocated to any models in the unit

Thanks for pointing out the FAQ. That makes it slightly clearer.

I think the wording of the Khorne ability would still mean that the caster (high sentinel) would take the first lot of wounds, so in my example it would be the high sentinel plus 5 others. The Khorne ability specifically says it targets the caster. You would then apply the core rules as per the FAQ, I think.

So maybe it's still not 100% clear...

4 minutes ago, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

Thanks for pointing out the FAQ. That makes it slightly clearer.

I think the wording of the Khorne ability would still mean that the caster (high sentinel) would take the first lot of wounds, so in my example it would be the high sentinel plus 5 others. The Khorne ability specifically says it targets the caster. You would then apply the core rules as per the FAQ, I think.

So maybe it's still not 100% clear...

No it's still clear, the ruling is around how you distribute wounds to units with a Wizard in them, while the high sentinel is the wizard/caster the spell is still cast by that unit because the high sentinel is part of that unit. It's weird but unless the rule stated that the model that cast the spell must take the wounds you can spread them as you please.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:47 AM, Mattrulesok said:

No it's still clear, the ruling is around how you distribute wounds to units with a Wizard in them, while the high sentinel is the wizard/caster the spell is still cast by that unit because the high sentinel is part of that unit. It's weird but unless the rule stated that the model that cast the spell must take the wounds you can spread them as you please.

That makes sense. Presumably the same would be true for double 1 when casting then? The d3 MW could be taken by the unit, not just the high sentinel?

Still seems a bit janky to me - it's not like pink horrors where they're all wizards as long as the unit is a certain size, but I think your explanation shows the rules can be applied the same way.

1 hour ago, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

That makes sense. Presumably the same would be true for double 1 when casting then? The d3 MW could be taken by the unit, not just the high sentinel?

Still seems a bit janky to me - it's not like pink horrors where they're all wizards as long as the unit is a certain size, but I think your explanation shows the rules can be applied the same way.

Correct, miscast mortals are spread to whichever model the player wants