Question on one use effects and bringing a model back to the board

Korazell

Question

9 answers to this question

It depends upon the wording on how they're brought back.  Sorry to be vague!  If a model is summoned then yes it'll count as a brand new model, if it's an ability that restores the model's wounds or brings them back from the dead then no as it's physically the same model on the table.  The same 'rule' applies to models brought back into play from the purpose of some victory conditions - Skarr Bloodwrath won't award any kill points if he's still in play at the end of the game, even if he's been nuked multiple times during the battle because his special rule brings him back from the dead.

Thanks for answering! 

My friend and I were discussing what it meant rules wise when a generic unit leaves the table and comes back into play is all and we had a difference in views, thanks for helping us out.

Ah, this could be slightly different.

A generic unit being recycled due to other rules (like the Orruk formation, name escapes me) would come out of reinforcement points.

An ability on the warscroll - such as the carstein ring, Skarr's pool of blood thingy or Grombrindal's rez, would not.

In effect, abilities on a specific unit's warscroll refer to all discrete instances of that unit.

Abilities caused by other warscrolls/battalions/allegiance/scenarios normally mean you get a replacement of the same type - which costs - rather than getting the *specific* unit back.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

On 21/09/2016 at 9:03 AM, BaldoBeardo said:

The fact the ability specifies one-use only says you can't. After all, you can only 'die' once.

There are multiple units in the game that can die more than once! Plenty of Chaos units and come back to life in formations and other special rules.

The more important thing about units coming back to life that no one has really considered is what happens to buffs/debuffs on the model?

If you die and then use the Vamp ring to bring back your dude riding a zombie dragon, does he retain mystic shield if it was on him when he died? or does the Plaguepriest prayer remain in play on him for example?

If it states you are set up as a new unit (Tzeentch cohort for example) then I would say you do not retain any effects as you are a new unit.

Archived