Purple Sun, what's the hotness?

Popisdead

Question

5 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

Just to check understanding on this, if I park a purple sun next to, say, Kairos Fateweaver and roll a 1, he’s slain? 

I’m guessing this wouldn’t work for mega gargants due to their warscroll rule, but they would take d6 MW?

Correct on all counts. The instant death affects any unit without a rule specifically forbidding it (Gargants and Gotrek off the top of my head). The key is to screen so that there is not enough space for the purple sun to end within 3" of your high point cost single model units for as long as possible.

The instant death effect is pretty garbage vs high model count (1 in 6 to kill a single clan rat whoopee), but on the other hand you can take out Nagash on a single roll of 1

Reason its popular atm is a few things

1: Most wizards can take it as its a universal endless spell and only 70pts

2: The Rend 1 bubble is 6" within and is for shooting and melee. Makes even basic shooting good and elite shooting even more deadly. Plus stacking that rend in combat especially if Booty hunters vs Galivants is going to have a big impact

3: Insta kill a model on a one. Like..dead dead, unless they have a rule like Gortek/Kragnos/Megas/Morathi where you take wounds rather than removed. So technically a 170pt model (battle mage plus spell) hell even a Madcapshaman with purple sun, can 1 shot Arhcaon. (I did it the other day with a bloodwrack medusa)

4: Large base size can get in the way of stuff

It is really good return for its points. Even if you dont instakill anything the rend 1 can be worth it for many armies 

Just remember its all models in the range so can kill/debuff the users stuff too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

Reason its popular atm is a few things

1: Most wizards can take it as its a universal endless spell and only 70pts

2: The Rend 1 bubble is 6" within and is for shooting and melee. Makes even basic shooting good and elite shooting even more deadly. Plus stacking that rend in combat especially if Booty hunters vs Galivants is going to have a big impact

3: Insta kill a model on a one. Like..dead dead, unless they have a rule like Gortek/Kragnos/Megas/Morathi where you take wounds rather than removed. So technically a 170pt model (battle mage plus spell) hell even a Madcapshaman with purple sun, can 1 shot Arhcaon. (I did it the other day with a bloodwrack medusa)

4: Large base size can get in the way of stuff

It is really good return for its points. Even if you dont instakill anything the rend 1 can be worth it for many armies 

Just remember its all models in the range so can kill/debuff the users stuff too

adding to the list:

5: the Rend 1 is an aura so it works even if the Sun goes through a spellportal

6: if you have a way to cast it reliably, it's pretty difficult to dispel since it needs a 9

• Like 1