Hobby time distribution

Hobby time distribution  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What consumes most of your hobby time?

• Building Models
    • Building Terrain
    • Gaming
    • Mathhammer
    • Narrative / Lore
    • Painting
    • Something else, please leave comment

How do you all spent your precious hobby time? Just thought this could be fun to talk about.

I am painting like a madman every second i can manage just to get things done. When i get burned out from painting i am building more models. For now i try to work though my pile of grey before buying anything else and am making good progress. I must admit that GW makes it really difficult with all the new releases for armies that i own. I would like to play more games this year but its not my main focus at the moment. In a distant future where i am done finishing up most minis i would like to focus on building terrain myself and also make display boards for my armies.

I would also like to invest some more time into Warcry as it takes less time to play. I also like to theorycraft lists from time to time and read some lore.

Edit: At the moment i am also taking some time to sort out all my bits and label them. I used to dump them into a big box but i couldnt find anything when i needed it. Now i can hopefully make customizing my armies a little easier.

Edited by Iksdee

I mainly build and paint, but I also ticked something else, as I probably spend far too much time on forums/Instagram etc. I enjoy it for inspiration but it can be a real time thief. Time that could (should?) be spent actually painting or doing something more productive.

• Like 2

You've missed off "procrastinating and wasting time on social media" 😂

In all seriousness the vast majority of my hobby is on the non-gaming side of things.  I've generally one main "painting" and one main "assembly" project on at a time so that I can move between the two.  Most of my assembly gets done downstairs in front of the telly whereas the painting is up on my hobby desk, so it gives a decent amount of variety should I need it.  I generally aim to get in at least an hours worth of hobby most evenings, it varies with Wednesday often having none and Thursdays most of the evening is spent hobbying.  My biggest sin is that I generally paint things a lot more detailed than I actually need to, so all my projects take significantly longer to do than the number of new projects coming in...  One day I hope to retire and redress that balance 😁

• Haha 2

I would say painting, reading rules and then gaming. I have plenty of built models now so have not done a lot on that front.

I have loads to paint due to buying various board games recently. So that is taking up most of my time.

I am running a few board game campaigns. Gloomhaven, Core Space and Core Space First Born with different groups so often have a couple of games a week on the go.

then reading rules to make sure I can run the campaigns

socia media and browsing sites, games and forums also takes up a lot of time too

warhammer itself is quite low down, but there are two slow grows coming up in the near future where I live so I plan to try to play a game in each once or twice a month to help grow interest in that system

Tricky one. It depends on the definitions of what games I guess. I spend more time playing RPGs than I do painting, but far more time painting and building than I do playing wargames. I gave up playing AoS last year with the dawn of 3e, and since then have only played warcry once, and 40K maybe twice when it comes to GW games. We're starting a necromunda campaign, so that will get me gaming a little more, but really its mostly been frostgrave and stargrave about monthly.

It took a while to come to terms with it but I've realised that while I love building and painting massive armies, I have zero interest in playing mass battle games anymore. I'm still reading the forums because this is a great community, and I'm liking the new models that come out, but if I do play again it will probably just be 2e, since I have everything I need for that.

So for all intents and purposes its hobby all the way for me. Just jumping into skaven with the Echoes of Doom release so I'm not going to be short on stuff to paint... I thought about getting some of them for years, but didn't want another horde army. Now I know I don't need to worry about it being a functional army I can just paint the models for fun. So much happier.

I chose mathhammer/modelling but it is not so much getting the absolute most of the army and instead theorycrafting anti-meta, non-cookie-cutter builds, or stuff that fits my narrative stuff. I tend to take my time on the modelling side and much like my 'mathhammering' I am not happy until my models are special little snowflakes.

I also enjoy talking with others about various aspects of hobbying + start vast epic projects in my head I neither can afford or have the time for.

• Like 1

Painting, no doubt. I find it ridiculously time consuming and it's probably my least enjoyable aspect of the hobby. Recently discovered slapchop though and it's a revelation. Doubt I'll ever go back to any other method. 

1 hour ago, lare2 said:

Painting, no doubt. I find it ridiculously time consuming and it's probably my least enjoyable aspect of the hobby. Recently discovered slapchop though and it's a revelation. Doubt I'll ever go back to any other method. 

Slapchop?

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

Painting, but lately using my models in RPGs has become a larger part. Not wargames per sé, but a good excuse to get more models nonetheless.

May i ask what kind of rpgs?