PSA Dominion Allegiance Abilities are not matched play legal

Surely I’m not the first one to realise this but I can’t see anything in the matched play rules that enable the allegiance abilities written on the cards in Dominion.

1) GHB21 lays out the publications which are legal: neither Dominion nor the cards contained in it are listed (unlike the Stormcast allegiance abilities which are legal as BR Morathi is included).

2) There is no FAQ (so far) to say that the battletome allegiance abilities have been replaced/amended with the versions in the box.

3) Allegiance Abilities are not pitched battle profiles as defined in Core Rules section 25. There is not an entry for allegiance abilities in this section.

4) Core Rules Section 27 states allegiance abilities are included in battletomes. The cards are not in the battletomes and have not been FAQed otherwise. This applies to Kruleboyz specifically, as they have no battletome, and Venom Encrusted Weapons is not in the Warclans Battletome, and so cannot be used. In addition, there is no Kruleboyz faction to pick.

5) You can use Dominion units, as these are listed in the GHB21 specifically.

Consequences for matched play:

* Stormcast cannot use Blaze of Glory

* Stormcast must use the Battletome version of Scions of the Storm (meaning they get -1 to hit when set up with this ability)

* Kruleboyz cannot get Venom Encrusted Weapons (no MWs for 6s for anyone using these units).

* The Swampcalla Shaman Poisons and Elixirs ability does not work fully in matched play. The poison options applies when Venom Encrusted Weapons is triggered, which does not apply as it is not legal, so nothing to trigger off. No mortals on 5s (because no mortals at all).

This is probably more relevant to anyone taking Stormcast to an event in the next few weeks but applies to both.

Don’t shoot the messenger, usual caveats about ask the TO/opponent, wait for the Dominion FAQ etc etc. 

Edited by PrimeElectrid

6 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Actually I think they are on the right side of ambiguity as they have Pitched Battle Profiles in GHB21, which approves itself, and every unit has to have a warscroll. 

They have pitched battle profiles but they don't have warscrolls printed in any legal publication (as outlined in GHB21)

The GHB says "all the publications whose rules you are allowed to use". We have to assume that warscrolls count as "rules". 

Edited by PJetski
  • Haha 1

Yeah, technically Pjetski is right here. As absurd as it is, they seem to have forgot to make their new box matched play legal, because they forgot to include the caveat of "and any other publications published after X date unless they specifically state otherwise" that they've included in the past in these sorts of publications. Although I'd really hope that TOs would be sensible here.

The errata for the Skaven tome also tells you to use the plague monks datasheet from the app and delete the one from the Skaven book, but the app isn't listed as an acceptable source of rules for pitched battles, so I guess you arguably can't use plague monks either in pitched battles. 😀

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

Yeah, technically Pjetski is right here. As absurd as it is, they seem to have forgot to make their new box matched play legal, because they forgot to include the caveat of "and any other publications published after X date unless they specifically state otherwise" that they've included in the past in these sorts of publications. Although I'd really hope that TOs would be sensible here.

The errata for the Skaven tome also tells you to use the plague monks datasheet from the app and delete the one from the Skaven book, but the app isn't listed as an acceptable source of rules for pitched battles, so I guess you arguably can't use plague monks either in pitched battles. 😀

Don’t worry mate, they aren’t currently what I’d call useful anyways😜

Edited by Skreech Verminking

24 minutes ago, stratigo said:

Yes but if you play with these models in matched play, you are obviously making up an entirely new game and are bad for not playing purely to the text as written and should be spanked. Obviously. At least according to a number of posters here.

Can we choose the person doing the spanking? Sigvald or Kria would make the experience more memorable.