AoS 3.0 Seraphon Discussion

Christopher Rowe

We're running a escalation league play of AOS 3.0 at our local gaming store and were starting out at 500 points. You can only have two battle line units with no reinforcement rules, 1 Leader (General) and 1 Hero. What do you guys think of this load out or do you have another idea.

Battle line unit number One: 5 Saurus Knight's with War Spears (110 points) (Coalesced, Koatl's Claw)

Battle line unit number Two: 5 Saurus Knight's with War Spears (110 points) (Coalesced, Koatl's Claw)

General: 1 Saurus Scar-Vet on Cold One (Coalesced, Koatl's Claw) (110 Points)

Hero: 1 Skink StarPriest (Hand of Glory spell) (Coalesced, Koatl's Claw) (130 points)

Total points: 460 (Triumph: Inspired (+1 to wound)

*I could go with the Skink Star Seer instead and still be under 500 points, but I took the Star Priest instead for his staff ability he can put on a unit of Knight's and he has a better speed (8) than the Seer at (5).

Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys a question with the aos3 for seraphon. I played against a seraphon player yeatorday , he did unlesh hell + fang of soteck CA in the same turn... he retreat and after he used Unlash hell. Is this possible? 

If it's not the same unit doing parting shot and unleash hell.

13 hours ago, KingCheops said:

How many prayers do our Priests know?

Do we get Bless + Smite as well as 1 choice from the universal prayers?  Or do we only get Bless + Smite and we need to take an enhancement to get another one?

We only get Bless and Smite for now, and for the Prayer Enhancement you can pick one of the universal Prayer Enhancements for one of your Priests if you took more than one Priest in your army. You could take a Core Battalion and get another Enhancement to take another prayer from the universal prayers but most people use the enhancement bonus from the core battalion for a Artifact of Power.

Edited by Margawt
  • Like 1

The Battle Report of my skirmish with the Iron Jawz Orcs was a Major Victory. We played the Battle Plan "First Blood" in our Escalation league, first battle was at 500 points (See post above on start of page 2). The red counters were the Objectives, there are three to start with, one is hiding behind a piece of Terrain in the center of the map. This picture is the start up positions of both armies. He had two units of Ard Boyz , a Shaman and a Mega Boss. I had what I described in the post above. The Blot Toad that is just sitting next to the Skink priest on the Realmshaper engine is there just watching the battle and reporting to the Slann nearby...lol. We both had "Hold the Line" for our Grand Strategy's, I got mine but he lost his when both of his Ard Boyz units were destroyed. By the 4th turn all he had left was his Mega Boss and he only had two wounds left. I had 13 to 3 in Victory points at that point and my Grand Strategy to add yet. He called it at this point.

IMG_0423.JPG.fca4c9ee4def5d614562febc0b68644c.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 7:38 PM, KingCheops said:

How many prayers do our Priests know?

Do we get Bless + Smite as well as 1 choice from the universal prayers?  Or do we only get Bless + Smite and we need to take an enhancement to get another one?

Each priest gets bless+smite and each priest can take one prayer from universal enhancements. For each "Prayer Scripture" enhancement you can take one additional prayer on each priest. Keep in mind that Starstone Staff is not a prayer, but an ability.

• Like 1

A new Battle Report using the same point total as mentioned before in above post (500 pts). In brief, Seraphon-Coalesced-Koatl's Claw (LIST: 2 units of Saurus Knights w/War spears, 1 Saurus Scar-Vet on Cold one,(General), 1 Skink Starpriest w/Hand of Glory spell) (460 points),  Vs Stormcast Eternals (LIST: 2 units of 5 Vindicators each, 1 Lord Exorcist (General), and 1 Knight Vexillor with Banner of Apotheosis) (500 points). I got to use my Triumph which was: Inspiring (+1 to Wound), Playing the same battle plan as before (First Blood). I won the toss to choose who will be the Attacker/Defender. I choose to Attack and had the Battle Regiment battalion (Grand Strategy: Hold the Line) and deployed my army first, Stormcast choose the Vanguard battalion (Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery). Since I finished deploying first I choose to go first and moved out to take the center and northern objectives with a cavalry thrust (using the Aggressive expansion battle tactic with success, scoring 5 victory points.) He used the Ferocious Advance and moved both his Heroes and a unit of Vindicators towards the Center Objective but failed to get more than me and did not claim the objective and scored 2 Victory points for Turn 1. The pic below is the starting positions before the battle begins. I kept winning the Priority roll each round until the end of the game (Turn 4 ).

IMG_0426.JPG.5947933a1403670d1987af04686f260e.JPG

If anyone noticed it there is a Blot Toad on the Realmshaper Engine, he's just there watching and reporting to the Slann nearby...lol. Anyway, I kept my units close to each other for support and buffed them with the Serpent Staff that worked really well for me today. My spells just could not get off at all because of low rolling or unbinding by the Stormcast wizards. I used Ferocious Advance in Round Two and it was successful when I moved (On the Double command on the Skink StarSeer to catch up with the General and a unit of 5 Knights that started on the North end of the Realm Shaper Engine and took the Objective to the North), while the other unit of knights did a regular move action to position themselves for a charge to seal off a Vindicator unit that was facing my General and second unit of knights as they would soon be vulnerable to be charged by him as he went next in this turn (2). I made my charge and rolled well, I charged around and got into position to pile in sealing the fate of that unit of Vindicators. He used the Conquer battle tactic and took the center objective from the Seraphon with his General and then moved his last unit of Vindicators and the Knight Vexillor into position to charge my unit of knights that took out his other unit of Vindicators. His charge went well with both his Vindicators and his Knight Vexillor and he killed 4 out of 5 of the knights, leaving only the champion left behind with a wound, he made his battleshock test. I scored 5 more Victory points and he scored 3 for Round Two for a total of 10-5 Seraphon.

IMG_0427.JPG.6aa69faf724f679504ecb5ed34affad5.JPG

My General and other unit of Knights were now in position to charge both his Knight Vexillor and his last unit of Vindicators. They both made their charges as they were close to begin with. The resulting damage took out both of his units. I used Broken Ranks on his last unit of Vindicators and completed that with the help of the use of my Triumph here . He then moved in his general to slay the warlord on my general and failed. I subsequently did the same on him and succeeded. Seraphon Win 19-7 in Victory points (Major Victory). I got a lot of use out of the Koatl's Claw ability to get the +1 to hit for charging and could save my command points for other things.

Next month (August) the league I'm in goes up to 1000 point battles (2 opponents per month) and I'll be back to posting the results.

Edited by Margawt
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

From Frogg Hurst in the Seraphon Facebook group

"Took third place at the Orlando Grand Tournament with this list.
4 wins and 1 draw.
Allegiance: Seraphon - Constellation: Thunder Lizard - Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
LEADERS
Stegadon with Skink Chief (305)* - General - Command Trait: Prime Warbeast - Artefact: Amulet of Destiny - Weapon: Skystreak Bow
Slann Starmaster (265)* - Spell: Stellar Tempest
Skink Starseer (145) - Artefact: Fusil of Conflaguration - Spell: Hand of Glory
Skink Priest (80) - Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (150)
UNITS
5 x Saurus Guard (115)*
20 x Skinks (150)* - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (75)* - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
2 x Salamander Hunting Pack (240)*
BEHEMOTHS
Bastiladon with Solar Engine (235)*
Bastiladon with Solar Engine (235)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
Command Entourage - Magnificent ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS Artefact"

After that he had some Q&A with the folks in the group and was a pretty informative discussion. Big take aways would be as follows. He would probably drop the starseer for something else and feels like non-general stegadons in Thunder Lizards are over costed. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2021 at 2:40 PM, AaronWilson said:

I think the most comp way would be to play Slann/Engine/Stegs/bast/sallies in Thunder Lizard. 

I was playing around with a Thunder Lizard army at 1500 points. Do you think a regular steg is worth it as a battleline? The idea of a Chief and 2 Stegs in an army seems appealing to me, with Skinks and Bastiladons for objectives and battle tactics, and skink starpriests for magic (plus a Scar vat on Carno because rule of cool).

What's the appeal of the engine of the gods without a Slaan? For healing? 

Edit: And oh my it never occurred to me that terradons, ripperdactyls and salamanders had Jaw attacks and gain +1 attack from Coalesced.

Edited by Starfyre

8 hours ago, Starfyre said:

I was playing around with a Thunder Lizard army at 1500 points. Do you think a regular steg is worth it as a battleline? The idea of a Chief and 2 Stegs in an army seems appealing to me, with Skinks and Bastiladons for objectives and battle tactics, and skink starpriests for magic (plus a Scar vat on Carno because rule of cool).

What's the appeal of the engine of the gods without a Slaan? For healing? 

Edit: And oh my it never occurred to me that terradons, ripperdactyls and salamanders had Jaw attacks and gain +1 attack from Coalesced.

Stegadons are pretty great battle line 100%. 

Engine is just quite cheap for a hero + monster & provides good chip damage / healing. It's not worth it without a slann though & probably not worth it unless firing off twice with a slann. 

Yeah Salamanders + Razordons pack extra melee punch in coalesced. 

On 8/27/2021 at 7:28 AM, AaronWilson said:

Stegadons are pretty great battle line 100%. 

Engine is just quite cheap for a hero + monster & provides good chip damage / healing. It's not worth it without a slann though & probably not worth it unless firing off twice with a slann. 

Yeah Salamanders + Razordons pack extra melee punch in coalesced. 

See it's interesting because I've seen the EOTG being used in some tournament lists without a slaan, and that's what I couldn't quite get my head around. It feels like the damage it can do to itself is a bit of a liability.

Now it's a Priest as well now, it looks really good value actually, with the ability to give ward saves, do additional damage and maybe Heal or Curse as well.

7 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys I played a tts game this week end , can I split my o attacks of my bastiladont? Or im forced to focus the same unit? Thx!

You can spit the attacks mate.

"13.2 NUMBER OF ATTACKS The number of attacks you make with a weapon is equal to its Attacks characteristic. Make the attacks one at a time, unless you are making combined attacks (see 13.2.1). If a weapon has an Attacks characteristic of more than 1, you can split the attacks between target units."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning,

Novice here. I'm looking at this list and I'm wondering how can everything in this list be included within a single Battle regiment (one drop).

https://tabletop.to/justice-series-gt-august-20212/list/400-club

As far as I understand, a battle regiment is : 1 general, 2 leaders (10 wounds or less), 3 battlelines and a behemot or artillery

I see the general (Slann), and a priest and Eotg. The Eotg is above 10 wounds so he cannot be included as a leader, right?

Then the 3 steg as battleline, that's good.

Then I see salamanders and Bastilladon. That's 2 units for a single behemot/artillery slot.

I'm a bit lost, I feel I'm missing something. 😅

I would be grateful if someone could explain the above to me.

Thanks. :)

Edit: I figured it out.
Leader = Eotg eventhough he is not the general
5 units : 3 steg + 2 Salamanders
Behemot : Basti

Edited by Nqshou

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

-Guys about scar-vet on carno. Is better play him with spear or blade? As warscroll seems usless play him with blade bacuse you lose 1 damage more in charge, blade give no buffs, is there any faq?

- Another question : 4-8 engine ability can heal engine too? 

Thx a lot guys!

Edited by Tizianolol