Mdels coming 'Back to life' - Re-enforcment

Paul Buckler

Question

• Answers 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FAQ:  Q: Does the Ring of Immortality require reinforcement points to return the slain bearer to the table? A: Yes. 

All such abilities now cost reinforcement points

No. Ring of immortality is an upgrade and is not pointed. That's why you have to pay for the model again.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

And what about Bonesplitterz - Bonegrinz Warclan ability "Loadsa Boyz"? It lets you set up a "replacement unit" on 6 when one of the units from the clan was killed. Do We count it as summon-so I need to plan in advance if I will have the replacement(doesn't make much sense to include it in summoning points)? Can it be used in matched play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need to know which units you will summon, before the game starts, and set aside points for them.

You only need to decide how many points you will set aside. Then when one of these abilities trigger you decide if you want to pay the points for it, out of the "pool" you set aside. If you choose not to , or don't have enough points , you don't get the unit. You can choose to field a smaller version of the same unit, for the appropriately reduced points cost.

If you still have unused reinforcement points left at the end of the game , that's just bad luck.

You don't need to know which units you will summon, before the game starts, and set aside points for them.
You only need to decide how many points you will set aside. Then when one of these abilities trigger you decide if you want to pay the points for it, out of the "pool" you set aside. If you choose not to , or don't have enough points , you don't get the unit. You can choose to field a smaller version of the same unit, for the appropriately reduced points cost.
If you still have unused reinforcement points left at the end of the game , that's just bad luck.

It has to be identical unit so I cannot field smaller. Since it is really random (16,6% chance) it doesn't make sense to use this Warclan in Matched play.
If summoning is ~5+ on 2D6 it doesn't look too matched to me ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't have the Bonesplitterz book, but the General's Handbook says if you don't have enough points in the pool, you must either decrease the size of the unit unit you have enough points for it, or decide not to use it at all.

To me, that seems to be explicit permission, overriding the Bonesplitterz book, to instead field a smaller unit.

I agree it probably isn't worth it. The matched play rules mean it's really not worth doing any summoning unless either it's 100% reliable, or you have a whole army dedicated to summoning, so that you won't really notice if one attempt fails.

That said, if you find that you are frequently losing around 6 units or so, you'll be passing an average of about one reinforcements roll per game. It might be worth setting aside points for one unit, just in case. It depends on whether you can see any advantage to summoning a replacement unit, instead of just having an extra unit on the board from the beginning.

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:08 AM, meet.the.doctor said:

If it is a summon I have to declare the points before the battle, right? How can I do that not knowing which unit will die and if I roll 6, as I have only one chance.

It's just not a battalion that is viable for matched play.

There are many abilities that GW want to leave it as ambiguous as it is, to allow more interaction and open play style.

commensense would say I take this ring as an artefact instead of others, it is already taken into consideration.

other than that, talk to your TO or your game grp/club. What is the consensus at your area. 

My area take the ring, skarr ability to come back, neferata raise death ability without the need of reinforment pts, I would say the same thing for green knight, Phoenix, ring of rebirth.

these are essentially not new unit, ok except neferata's that leave some room for debate...

For Bonesplitterz it is not a summon. It just says in a six you can return an identical unit to the board. Summoning is a very specific item in the game. It is literally a spell some casters know. You don't have to have a pool for Bonesplitterz or Ironjawz.

the rule applies to armies like seraphon who can "summon" more models if they choose. 

The whole do you pay to replace lost units or bring back old units is crystal clear.

You pay for any unit that has been destroyed and you want to replace and you pay for any new units.

You dont pay for new models.

However there are some example of reviving abilities that would go against this and do have wording on the abilities to back up. Tyrion for instance says that if tyrion is slain roll a dice if you get the results the he is "Not Slain" etc etc. That to me would be fairly conclusive that he is not slain therefore hes not being revived hes just getting an emergency wounds infusion and weathering the assault.

However despite everyones best efforts i would put this down to errors in wording on GW part and nothing more. Even the example that i just gave is worded strangley if you have a look. It actually says "If tyrion is SLAIN roll a D6 etc etc on a roll of X he is NOT SLAIN"

Was he slain or wasent he?

I personally go that its incorporated for personal abilities and point costs but thats just me. Its an FAQ job. nothing else will do it.

Archived