Starting Vampirates

JackThorne

Played WHFB, but AoS is new to me. Curse of the Vampire Coast has reignited my interest in playing Warhammer and I'd like to field my own pirate inspired Death army. From what I've read, Legion of Blood or Legion of Night is the way to go, with an aim toward the Deathmarch Battalion.

---

500 points

Wight King w/ Tomb Blade 

Skeletons (20) 

Dire Wolves (5) 

---

1000 points

Vampire Lord 

Wight King w/ Tomb Blade

Skeleton Warriors (40)

Dire Wolves (5)

Morghast Harbingers (2) w/ Halberds

---

What do you think, is that a good place to start? Would you change anything?

• Like 1

I worry that you won't be getting any cannons or gunners for some proper pirating in the death armies. Have you considered using another army's rules with death-ified miniatures instead? Cities of Sigmar has lots of gun powder and Kharadron Overlords would  let you have actual ships like the flying dutchman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMS said:

I worry that you won't be getting any cannons or gunners for some proper pirating in the death armies. Have you considered using another army's rules with death-ified miniatures instead? Cities of Sigmar has lots of gun powder and Kharadron Overlords would  let you have actual ships like the flying dutchman.

I get what you're saying, but I'd be happy using magical ordinance for counts as. For example, Chainghasts as gun wielding ghost allies, or the Vampire Captain's pistol fires Arcane Bolt. One big project I have in mind is doing the coven throne as a floating raider's sloop. I love my gunpowder ordinance as much as the next pirate fan, but Sigmar and Kharadron don't have Vampires or easily replaceable minions. Maybe someday we'll get proper undead pirates, but in the meantime I'll make due and enjoy my blood-infused rum.

• LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, JackThorne said:

Got a source for that?

No source but there have been some rather recent rumor engines hinting to vampirey things - especially sea vampires. Also - Halloween is on a Saturday this year, so call me crazy but they may actually do something release- related for that. (I’m a huge vampire fan). Since you’re new I wouldn’t want you to go spend a bunch of money on stuff you may regret unless you already have things to convert up and play. I’m doing Legions myself. 

17 minutes ago, Lich King said:

No source but there have been some rather recent rumor engines hinting to vampirey things - especially sea vampires. Also - Halloween is on a Saturday this year, so call me crazy but they may actually do something release- related for that. (I’m a huge vampire fan). Since you’re new I wouldn’t want you to go spend a bunch of money on stuff you may regret unless you already have things to convert up and play. I’m doing Legions myself. 

I'm not in a huge hurry, so I can wait and see. 

• Like 1

I've been looking at doing something like this as well. Although you're struggling for actual black powder here's some ideas that I had:

Cannons - use the Blacksmoke Battery mercenary company. Granted they're perhaps a little too accurate for zombies but who cares! For the Coven Throne (see below for ships) there's magical powers like Amarinthine Orb, Spirit Gale and Blades of Shyish that could represent black powder stuff as well. 

Ships - Mortis Engines and Bloodseeker Palanquins have area of effect mortal wound abilities. In my head it's not hard to see them as being broadside battery's. Also consider Corpse Carts as smaller boats in the fleet, then perhaps some of the more nautical themed endless spells (there's a boat one I think)

Coven Throne - I'm currently thinking of including one of these as my army general, but with the Terrorgheist Mantle relic from legions of nagash to count as an especially large cannon on the prow (think Queen Bess). 

Undead Seagulls - counts as bat swarms using Drukhari razorwing flocks, the Lord of the rings crows, even the zombicide crowz. 

Fingers crossed we actually see an army release for them but in the meantime there's some ideas for you!

• Thanks 2

While not a Death faction, the Idoneth Deepkin are essentially vampire pirates in narrative and appearance.  Unfortunately the internal balance of that book is awful, so their more piratey looking basic infantry are garbage, so you kinda need to want to run eel spam if you want to play them effectively.  But even so, they're probably the closest to a vampire pirate faction that the game currently has.

If You do want to stick to death, then yeah, legion of blood or night is probably the closest, but I'd skip the skeletons and go for chainrasps as your base infantry instead.  Easier to make piratey models of them - just find pirate models you like and paint them ghostly.  If you're not playing at a GW store, then the above linked vampire pirates are great.  You also would probably do well looking at privateer press's cryx line for additional undead pirate options:

Spoiler

skarre3.png.2012184c3ea13915e68fcbf79bb9fb64.png

Bloodseeker Palanquin / Coven Throne / Mortis Engine?  Would need replacement crew, but still, how could you not?

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/34048_CaptainRengrave_WEB.jpg

Wight King / Knight of Shrouds?

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/34136_Hellslinger%20Phantom.jpg

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/34024_PistolWraith_WEB.jpg

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/34053_PistolWraith-Variant_WEB.jpg

Banshees?

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/34118_BlackbanesGhostRaiders_WEB.jpg

chainrasps / skeletons?

34119_RevenantCrewOfTheAtramentousAnd3Ri

Zombies / skeletons?

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/34063_RevenantCannonCrew_WEB.jpg

mercenary cannon crew?  is that even an option for legion armies?  I can't remember

check out cryx under the warmachine section of the store at privateerpress.com.  Most of the line is generic steampunk undead, but pirates - both regular undead and horned lady blood mages - are a notable subtheme.

• Thanks 1

The idea of running a Deathrattle army is growing on me. My main problem, circumvented with Vampirates, is how GW undead are armed and armored. I just read in LoN where they make of point of Wight Kings having dedicated smiths. Fire those smiths, 'cause those rusty blades aren't going to cut it. Fire the Necromancer too.

If I was a Wight King my troops wouldn't be let out the door without the proper equipment, let alone myself. I love Gothic Horror, but someone needs to send 'round the cleaners.

I've put a lot of thought into it and I think Freeguild is the best faction for me to borrow from. It's a shame that we don't have Empire knights anymore, or the General and Standard Bearer kit, but I think I can make due with some skulls and bony hands for the following:

---

Wight King - Outrider w/ vampire sword, Freeguild shield (unless I can find that Empire General kit)

Skeleton Warriors - Freeguild Company

Grave Guard - Freeguild Greatswords

Black Knights - Outriders w/ Freeguild spears and shields

Necromancer - Collegiate Arcanum Death Wizard  

---

I'm an old hand at conversion work, so there'll be a lot of work drilling the heads out of their helmets. I'm looking forward to it.

P.S. You might ask why I'm not using skeleton horses (outside of convenience), my excuse is husbandry is a hobby of the gentry and just because you're dead doesn't mean you can't breed a mean pale horse for your spare time. What else are you going to do as an unsleeping skeleton, go to fancy dinner parties?

• Haha 1

I've decided to start my army with a Vampire, Necromancer, 20 Skellies and 5 (Fenrisian) dire wolves, then lean into Outrider based Blood Knights when I start moving toward 1k. I'm happy with the conversion ideas I detailed above, and I'll be adding morion helms to the arsenal, to give my army that conquistador/age of sail feel.  Looking forward to the Chainghast conversions in the near future (Outrider box has plenty of pistols).