Need help choosing a new army based on my playstyle

Hello guys,

I would like to get some recommendations/advices  on armies that would match my playstyle.

I might be the "boring" guy but I really like a good defensive strategy like turtle with melee defensive units in the front and then shooting units in the back with light units like archers or heavy units like siege machines. I think it would be good if I can add spices to my strategy with a few very fast units (fast or that can teleport) that can catch either objectives or kill a specific target like a support hero.

I'm quite open with the army esthetic but I would privilege an army with recent models (but no SCE).

Any ideas?

Thank you. :)

Edited by Nqshou

Skaven!

they can literally do the things you want.

120clanrats are a perfect meatshield and distraction, use them as some sort of a turtled up shield that can protect a gun line of 4 or less Warplightning cannons.

And if you fear of not having enough fire power, a few weapon teams like warfpire throwers and ratting guns will easily whippe the remaining enemy units of the table.

Although going down the weapon teams route might want you to convert them rather then buying since almost all weapon teams are pretty old, unless you somehow managed to find some unwanted ones from the Blood island kit.

as for conversion worl, the easiest way is to basically use stormvermins as a base models and use Irondrakes arms that were cut from their original gun, and given a different weapon like for example a heavy bolter or some rau rotator gun.

Or use whatever looks cool.

As for spice Night runner, Gutter runner and even just the warpgrinder weapon team will easily help you to get to those objective or even (if your lucky) manage a charge in the first turn.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

Ossiarch Bonereapers tick all those boxes. They are very durable and allow for a defensive setup with their giant catapults forcing the opponent forward. They are also one of the latest releases and their models are very nice and detailed.

There are other factions who can play a good defensive game, but most rely on some older (pre-aos even) models. 

Cities of Sigmar also can be build that way

Tanky melee units in form of Phoenix Guards and Longbeards or Ehernal Guards
 many shooty options from basic crowbow man or explosive Irondrakes and warmachines like Hellblaster or Steamtanks to name the few
and you will find some fast and teleporting units in here as well  .

CoS have the biggest roster in the game and u even can take ANY unit form SCE , Sylvaneth and KO so if like Order esthetic this may be a good choice for you

The new Lumineth Realm Lords aka "High Elves" in AoS are designed like that:

-Spearmen/women with Pikes and Shields forming a Phalanx --> their Soldiers even get a bonus  as they receive charges
-Archers for support are also versatile as they can shoot far ranging volleys or aimed shots
-you have super fast Cavalry (they might not fly like Idoneth Deepkin Eels however the Dawnriders have a potential spell to buff their movement)
-all these Units receive a -1 to hit buff and are therefore harder to hit for your enemy, as long as they stay in a certain formation

last but not least all these Units I just mentioned are classified as wizards which gives insane versatility.

Cons:
-the whole Army roster is comparatively small
-the Army is so new that it is not even fully released yet and nobody knows exactly how long the wait until their actual release might be due to Covid-19

Ossiarch Bonereapers are definitely the most extreme version of what you are talking about with Mortek Guard as one of the best defensive units in the game backed up by solid artillery.

Cities of Sigmar are a bit less extreme but more versatile. There are several good defensive infantry options and loads of good shooting.

Seraphon can be built like this with Engine of the Gods and Bastiladons as shooters but they aren't naturally defensive.

Lumineth Realm Lords can definitely play this way with a line of Stoneguard backed up with Sentinels. 

If you are crazy rich Legion of Azgorh has this playstyle as well, but they have less support as they are a forgeworld product line.

Personally if you want newer models I'd go with OBR or Lumineth (if you can wait for the full army release).