How are you tracking progress on your backlog?

Since a lot of people already commented in a thread regarding the "pile of shame", I was wontering do you guys have have some way of organizing your unpainted/unassembled models and tracking the progress? Since I play several armies for both Wh40K and Age of Sigmar, I usually organize my "work items" by army. For tracking the actual items, I am using Asana (but there are many similar services) and the work items are mostly "Build X" or "Paint Y". Seeing everything on the board helps me a lot and motivates me to keep working. I also sometimes assign deadlines for specific items. Here's how one of my boards look at the moment: 

image.png.531988e12ba1dc89c59f2a7c073bd0b6.png

I created this board when my Sylvaneth collectinon was nearly finished, so there's only a handful of tasks. However, my other projects look different :D 

So, what do you use to track your progress (if you use any such tool)? 

Edited by Painbringer

It's almost all in one big moving box. And on the lid I've written down the contents. Super satisfying to cross off and good fun to see the lid with all the crossed things. 

And more general I have list of the 'complete' collection in Notes. Which I update when I buy, and try to update when I paint something. But it's due a recount. 

14 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

I find there is nothing that motivates me to paint more than putting the finished models on the shelf across from my desk. I very quickly want to get the remainder of the figures done so that they can join their friends on parade.

Love the description. 😂

• LOVE IT! 1

17 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

I find there is nothing that motivates me to paint more than putting the finished models on the shelf across from my desk. I very quickly want to get the remainder of the figures done so that they can join their friends on parade.

Also just realised I do the opposite. I really hate doing those last details. Don’t have the fine skills for that, so create more mistakes than I fix in the last clean ups round :/ 

so I usually have the next thing to paint on the table as a finish line. 

27 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Also just realised I do the opposite. I really hate doing those last details. Don’t have the fine skills for that, so create more mistakes than I fix in the last clean ups round :/ 

so I usually have the next thing to paint on the table as a finish line. 

Interesting. I'd agree that the last few details are definitely the hardest. I think there are very few models where I don't spend half the time painting them trying to fix mistakes, while making more as I do. Its the stage where I tend to get frustrated and would give up if I didn't have a clear goal of getting everything set up into its final display! The same problem produces two different results clearly!

I don't quite track my backlog, but I have kept a note on my phone listing every model I finish this year. For me, models go on that list when the unit is complete on its base and ready for a game, but the base may not necessarily be done. 

I'm currently at 51 models for the year across a handful of games, and I'm feeling pretty good about it.

• Like 2

I have a cupboard with glass doors in the living room, so I see my whole (still comparably small) collection and progress (or lack thereof 😅) at one glance. I tend to cut out and build everything immediately, so there’s only that cupboard and a growing bit box. 😎

Edited by Beastmaster