Dracolines

Lucur

On 9/24/2021 at 8:51 AM, jeanfluflu said:

I have to try the double evocats someday, it seems like a great way to secure flanks and spread the menaces in the lists.
Like to one want to endure 3 ballistas shots per turn for 5 rounds so they need to come to you in that setup, having 2 evocats means you could be wherever you need to with a great counterpunch unit :).

I don't have those unfortunately, that's why i kept the second unit of evocators on foot (and probably TP them with the relictor).

i'd be curious to see how it goes with this build, let us know here when you can.

Tried this list today and was very happy with it. Got some good mobility, some cheap unit to get onto an objective with the prosecutors and quit some punch on the flanks with double cats and the prime. All I a four drop army. What you guys think about it? 

Army Name: Arcanum Cats
Army Faction: Stormcast Eternals
Army Type: Scions of the Storm
Subfaction: Celestial Vindicators
Battlepack: Pitched Battles
Points Limit: 2000 pts
General: Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline
Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
Triumph: Inspired
Holy Commands: Steadfast March, Thunderbolt Volley
Core Battalions
    Redemption Brotherhood
        Judicators with Skybolt Bows
            Battalion Slot Filled: Troops
            Battlefield Role: Battleline
            Reinforced: Once
            Points Cost: 400 pts
        Evocators on Celestial Dracolines
            Battlefield Role: Other
            Points Cost: 280 pts
        Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers
            Points Cost: 110 pts
        Vindictors
            Points Cost: 130 pts
        Vindictors
    Command Entourage
    Magnificent Bonus: Holy Commands
        Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (General)
            Battalion Slot Filled: Commander
            Battlefield Role: Leader
            Artefacts of Power: Amulet of Destiny
            Mount Traits: Aetheric Swiftness
            Spells: Thundershock
            Points Cost: 200 pts
        Lord-Relictor
            Battalion Slot Filled: Sub-commander
            Prayers: Translocation
            Points Cost: 145 pts
        Celestant-Prime
            Points Cost: 325 pts
Total Points: 2000 pts
Valid: Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 4:55 PM, Karazor said:

Tried this list today and was very happy with it. Got some good mobility, some cheap unit to get onto an objective with the prosecutors and quit some punch on the flanks with double cats and the prime. All I a four drop army. What you guys think about it? 

Army Name: Arcanum Cats
Army Type: Scions of the Storm
Subfaction: Celestial Vindicators
Battlepack: Pitched Battles
Points Limit: 2000 pts
General: Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline
Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
Triumph: Inspired
Holy Commands: Steadfast March, Thunderbolt Volley
Core Battalions
    Redemption Brotherhood
        Judicators with Skybolt Bows
            Reinforced: Once
            Points Cost: 400 pts
        Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers
            Points Cost: 110 pts
        Vindictors
        Vindictors
    Command Entourage
    Magnificent Bonus: Holy Commands
        Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (General)
            Battalion Slot Filled: Commander
            Artefacts of Power: Amulet of Destiny
            Mount Traits: Aetheric Swiftness
            Spells: Thundershock
            Points Cost: 200 pts
        Lord-Relictor
            Prayers: Translocation
            Points Cost: 145 pts
        Celestant-Prime
            Points Cost: 325 pts
Total Points: 2000 pts
Valid: Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

I like that approach, though i'm not that into the prime, i'd rather reinforce the Judis once more as well as the vindictors for staying power. Also i'd recommend stormkeep over scions here, the cats are fast enough, the prosecutors can dance around objectives and the prime can DS anyways. Only Vindictors left behind and those can be translocated once the cats took off. Also consider the Lord Relictor as general with high priest.

Finally battalions, why not take hunters of the heartland and warlord?

Those are my 2cts, but certainly an interesting proposition!

Edited by Lucur
spellink

2 hours ago, Lucur said:

I like that approach, though i'm not that into the prime, i'd rather reinforce the Judis once more as well as the vindictors for staying power. Also i'd recommend stormkeep over scions here, the cats are fast enough, the prosecutors can danve around objectives and the prime can DS anyways. Only Vindoctors öeft behind and those can ne translocated once the cats took off. Also consider the Lord Relictor as general with high priest.

Finally battalions, why not take hunters of the heartland and warlord?

Those are my 2cts, but certainly an interesting proposition!

was my first time playing Prime, now with the Ward safge i like it a lot better, but surly a flex spot, 15 judis would be fine buit the list ist packed full with expensive units. I put the amulet of destiny on the LA so he can fight a bit with the 6 inch pile in. The high priest thing is a consideration, for sure better than my approch. goine test this list and trty to tweak it, would love to get mnore comments on it. WE should bring more Cats to the table :)

no dragons needed :)

• Like 1

also really like to stay in scions cause of dropping Judis to the right position, and also my vindictors on points to have a deepstrike threat on the Objectivews

On the field there is normally 2 cats the relictor and the LA

Rest in reserve  and then i can adapt to my enemy

But gonna look up the stormkeep thing - never considered it on any list.

1 hour ago, lare2 said:

Just wondering, is there ever a reason to take staves? I know they're more damage but with less attacks and no rend... what am I missing?

On average staves still do more damage to anything with a sv 4+ or worse, moreso if we get extra attacks (celestial vindicators for example or the unit's prime). Swords get better vs 2+ which will be more prevalent with AoD and have less variance, so staves will be more awesome if they hit but will also whiff more completely if they whiff (for staves it's either 2 damage or 0 with less swings total, swords get more attacks and 1 rend to smooth that curve closer to the average). I hope the latter part is understandable, i find it kinda hard to get that point across and keep it brief :D

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Whats a good Host for Stormkitties? 

I would probably run either hammers for the 6+ ward, or astral templars to give them immunity to monstrous rampages.

That being said, I'm not really looking to build a list around kitties anymore, just considering them as a potential fast hammer for 300ish points if I think that is what my list needs.

If they had made them conditional battleline somehow though, I would totally be running an 18 kitty list.

I have been painting Vindictors and refining my list. This is where I have arrived at. The idea  is to have a shooting threat (Raptors) that forces the enemy to engage, a solid battleline that receives charges, and a powerful counter-attacking force (Evocators on Dracolines).

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators (Stormkeep)

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

LEADERS

Knight-Incantor (125)*

- Spell: Celestial Blades

Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (200)*

- Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts

- Spell: Azyrite Halo

Lord-Relictor (145)*

- General

- Command Trait: High Priest

- Artefact: Mirrorshield

- Prayer: Translocation

UNITS

6 x Evocators on Dracolines (560)*

- 4 x Grandstaves

5 x Liberators (115)*

- Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield

- 1 x Grandblades

5 x Liberators (115)*

- 1 x Grandhammers

6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)*

10 x Vindictors (260)*

CORE BATTALIONS

*Battle Regiment

ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS

Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

TOTAL: 2000/2000

The list is a 1-drop, so should get the first turn to double-tap with the Longstrikes, if needed. Because of this, I have opted for a Stormkeep - there is less reason to deploy the Longstrikes  in Reserves to keep them safe from an Alpha strike by the opponent. The Mirrorshield on the Relictor should perhaps be an Amulet of Destiny on the Lord-Arcanum. The full six evokitties is awkward because of coherency, but it does allow effective buffing, translocation and Celestial Vindicators bonus. And if you lose one, the problem goes away.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the FAQ is here and some reinforcements such as Grandhammer Annihilators are imminent, real brewing can commence. This is what I am planning to paint up:

SCE 2K: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Knights Excelsior - Scions
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Triumphs: Inspired

LEADERS
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (200)*
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny
- Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts
- Spell: Azyrite Halo

Lord-Imperatant (175)*

Lord-Relictor (145)*
- General
- Command Trait: High Priest
- Prayer: Translocation

UNITS
6 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (480)*

3 x Evocators on Dracolines (280)*
- 2 x Grandstaves

5 x Liberators (115)*
- 1 x Grandweapons

5 x Liberators (115)*
- 1 x Grandweapons

6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)*

CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment

ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

TOTAL: 1990/2000

The idea is simple. The army is one-drop, so it can often choose whether to go first. It has a combo of Relictor, Raptors, Imperatant and Grandhammer Annihilators. This involves the Relictor Translocating the Raptors to a good spot, after which they shoot at an enemy screen in the hero Phase using Thunderbolt Volley. In the movement phase, Imperatant and Annihilators drop, the latter just outside 7” of the enemy, hopefully exploiting the gap that Raptors punched. Raptors then shoot at any units that could Unleash Hell, which is followed by a rerollable 7” charge by the Annihilators.

The army has an additional mobile melee hammer in Evocators and Lord-Arcanum on Dracolines. This can provide follow-up to the Annihilators if needed, take out isolated units holding objectives, and so on. They are very fast and pretty killy but will not fare well if stuck in a prolonged combat. An alternative could be 4 Fulminators, but I think I prefer the Arcanum and Evocats – they are wizards for unbinds, they can hit a second unit with Mortal Wounds, they are faster, and the Arcanum ensures that the list is not cold to the Apex Predators mission. I could be wrong.

I am unsure about the artifact. I have given Amulet of Destiny to the Arcanum who will be getting into the thick of things. By contrast, Lord-Relictor will be hanging out behind a screen of Liberators and is not strictly critical for the list after the initial volley, so I do not think Mirrorshield is necessary. On the minus side, the list now gives away the Slay the Warlord battle tactic more easily.

Comments?

Edited by feadair
  • Like 1

I'd argue that it is a good trade if your opponent goes for the Relictor instead of the Raptors or the melee hammers. If he doesn't and you don't need the translocation, the warscroll prayers are pretty good to, to allow your cats or grand slammers to survive that bit longer.

8 hours ago, Lucur said:

I'd argue that it is a good trade if your opponent goes for the Relictor instead of the Raptors or the melee hammers. If he doesn't and you don't need the translocation, the warscroll prayers are pretty good to, to allow your cats or grand slammers to survive that bit longer.

That is a really good point. Lord-Relictor is a very solid unit even with the nerfed Translocation, but ultimately I would prefer the opponent going after it rather than after the Raptors, Evocats or Annihilators. With Look Out Sir!, 3+ save and 6 wounds killing it is going to require a fair amount of effort that the enemy should probably be directing elsewhere.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, readercolin said:

If you are ever not sure - check the stormhost.

In this case, the annihilators are battleline because Knights-Excelsior

Ah sweet, thank you. I didn't have a look at the book yet, it will arrive tomorrow as I took a small break from AoS. I knew that the new Dragons could be battleline and also Dracoths, but didn't know about the Annahilators.

• 7 months later...

Hi there, 

I thought about reviving my Dracolines from the shelf and use them for a play next week. The meta has moved another way, still I was wondering if I could tune their possibilities in a game somewhat..here is the list I came up with. The idea was to Lauchon-Taxi or to teleport the dracos around and be a constant long range threat to heroes and battleline (bounty hunters). What do you think?

- Army Type: Scions of the Storm
    - Army Subfaction: Hammers of Sigmar
    - Triumphs: Inspired

- Holy Command: Call for Aid

LEADER

1 x Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (200)*
    - General
    - Command Traits: Master of Magic
    - Artefacts: Arcane Tome
    - Mount Traits: Celestial Instincts
    - Spells: Azyrite Halo

1 x Lord-Castellant (155)*

1 x Lord-Relictor (145)*
    - Artefacts: Mirrorshield
    - Prayers: Translocation

BATTLELINE

5 x Liberators (115)**

5 x Liberators (115)**
5 x Liberators (115)**
ENDLESS SPELL

1 x Lauchon the Soulseeker (30)

OTHER

3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (240)*

3 x Evocators on Celestial Dracolines (280)***

3 x Aetherwings (65)***

3 x Evocators on Celestial Dracolines (280)***

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Warlord**Expert Conquerors***Bounty Hunters

TOTAL POINTS: (1980/2000)

That looks like a fun and pretty useable version of a dracoline list. I'd probably swap the Lord Arcanum's mount trait out for Scintillating Trail (-1 to unbind aura) because getting your Empowers and Lauchon off will be really important, and anything that helps is useful. The castellant + mystic shield will really help with survivability for the dracolines.

You might struggle a bit with having enough bodies on the table but that's not really unique to that list.

Having played a handful of games with the new GHB and two units of three bounty hunter dracolines, I can say they will obliterate any galletian veterans they come across. Just make sure you hit them first.

• Thanks 1

I recently tested the following army out:

Astral Templars
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (general, arcane tome, master of the celestial menagerie, celestial instincts, celestial blades)
4 Stormdrake Guard (warblades, bounty hunters)
3 Evokitties (tempest blade, bounty hunters)
3 Evokitties (tempest blade, bounty hunters)
5 Vindictors (expert conquerors)
5 Vindictors (expert conquerors)

Overall, if I were to run something similar again, I would swap the stardrake out for a Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline + Knight-Draconis, with the knight-draconis as general with the arcane tome.  However, I don't currently have a knight-draconis, so I'll hold off on that until I get one.

The way my game played out, with the run+charge ability on the stormdrakes, I was able to get the stormdrakes + 1 squad of kitties in on a turn 1 charge, and stormdrakes remained the anvil that they are and managed to pin my opponent in their deployment even after my opponent doubled me turn 1 into 2.  Evokitties weren't quite enough to take out a block of 30 ghouls on their own, even in bounty hunters (there were 2 left alive...), but anything smaller they cleaned up pretty good.  Vindictors in expert conquerors also allowed me to just plop them on objectives and force my opponent to have to commit something good to shift them... but if they commit to shifting them then they would be ignoring the big threats, which had the mobility to get around the board.

There are 2 big questions here.  First, were the evokitties worth it?  Second, did it make more sense to take bounty hunters, or would I have been better off taking a battle regiment?

The answer there is that the army would have been better if I dropped the kitties for 2 squads of longstrikes (or a squad of 6 and some aetherwings).  Clearing GV units didn't win me the game - killing my opponents hero's and hammer units did.  This is something that I think that many people are going to find as they go wild with bounty hunters and such.  Yes, extra damage is always nice.  But clearing chaff has never really been a problem for any army, and being able to dictate turn order remains as strong as it has always been - especially for an army that has force projection like stormcast.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi, im so excited about the recent point drops for Dracolines 🥳 So I added even more (sharp)shooting power to my precious lists! What else 😅 The mobility with lauchon remains. Only downfall is (or is it?) that im lacking 10pts to add a LA on Dracoline, so I added good old Astreia instead. Hope you like it! Any comments appreciated.

Scions of the Storm, Hammers of Sigmar

1 x Lord-Relictor (150)**, General, Master of Magic, Arcane Tome, Thundershock, Translocation, Aspects of the Champion: Leadership of the Alpha

1 x Astreia Solbright (170)***, Celestial Blades

5 x Sequitors (120)**

5 x Sequitors (120)***

5 x Sequitors (120)***

3 x Aetherwings (70)***

3 x Evocators on Celestial Dracolines (240)***

3 x Evocators on Celestial Dracolines (240)***

1 x Lauchon the Soulseeker (50)

*Galletian Sharpshooters

**Galletian Command

***Battle Regiment

6 drops, 2000pts

Edited by Milano

On 1/25/2023 at 12:20 PM, Milano said:

Hi, im so excited about the recent point drops for Dracolines 🥳 So I added even more (sharp)shooting power to my precious lists! What else 😅 The mobility with lauchon remains. Only downfall is (or is it?) that im lacking 10pts to add a LA on Dracoline, so I added good old Astreia instead. Hope you like it! Any comments appreciated.

Ive dug out my Stormcast for a game tomorrow and will be running double Dracoline, sequitors and longstrikes. My struggle with Dracoline always trying to keep them from being mortal wounded to death so used to run them as 6 rather than 2*3. Not sure if thats any benefit in the current game. Easier to get each unit 'wholly within' the LA on Dracoline buff at least i guess.

Dracolines are some of my favourite models and they make a lot of my lists. Personally I think Astreia is a better babysitter than the generic LA - they already hit very hard and while 1 extra claw attack each is nice, +1 save guaranteed helps shore up their core weakness which is that they are pretty fragile. It's especially nice against armies with better magic than you, because it means you're not quite so reliant on getting mystic shields off and it's more of a nice extra if you do. The downside of Astreia over generic LA is that you're missing out on Scintillating Trail which you're probably not getting anywhere else.

I also think running as a 6 is a good idea and will run a 6 most of the time rather than two lots of 3. You're not getting the full melee potential if they're at full strength, but 18 dice on the mortal wound bomb is devestating, and the extra durability is key imo. One of the big troubles with dracolines in threes is that losing a single model really hurts their damage output, they stop being able to reliable clear targets. With a 6, obviously you have a much harder hitting unit to start with, but losing one or two models doesn't hurt nearly as much, and the big upside is that rallying becomes easier, and getting even a single dracoline back is huge. If you're missing 4 models, you have a roughly 50/50 chance of getting one back on a rally. Combined with Astreia, you can turn them from a squishy glass cannon into a pretty difficult to shift blob that does a ton of damage.