Cities of Sigmar with Gotrek

dmorley21

Hi everyone.

My story: I'm just about wrapping up finishing my first AoS army, Nighthaunt, and am starting to think about what I would like to collect next. I've decided I'd really like to try to run Gotrek in a cosmopolitan Cities of Sigmar list. I'm really intrigued by The Living City and to a lesser extent, Tempest Eye, as I love armies that excel at movement and those strengths would seem to balance Gotrek's weaknesses well. I'd consider running just about any city though. My absolute dream would be to run a Living City list with Gotrek holding down one side of the board and a deepstriking Spirit of Durthu... though I'm not sure if that list could really be built to be semi-competitive (I play Nighthaunt, so I'm not a power game, but I also like always having a chance).

My questions:

Has anyone had luck running Gotrek in a 2000 pt Cities of Sigmar list? If so, what city and with what units?

What combos have you used, or what combos do you notice that might work well with Gotrek?

Ones I've picked up on are including Chronomantic Cogs and a Ghur Battlemage. Also, camping Gotrek with some shooters or power casters would seem to make sense so the opponent feels a need to come to you.

Thanks!

I'm super new to the game but I've been trying variations of this list.

Hallowheart

Hurricanum: Blazing Crusade/Ignax

Battlemage

Battlemage

Runelord

10 Dreadspears

10 Dreadspears

30 Ironbreakers

Gotrek

10 Irondrakes Torpedo

10 Irondrakes Torpedo

Palisade

Soulscream Bridge

Mages to have a mix of damage and support. Sear Wounds for the Hurricanum and Gotrek seems great.

Bridge to make the most of the shooting/be able to be more aggressive in missions that require it and make auto giving me first turn an actual consideration.

Dreadspears for Battleline/screen the little orange deathball.

Had a version that had 2x Sisters of the thorn instead of Battlemages (Those new catapults terrify my little heroes. Craziness)

Happy to hear thoughts from more experienced players.

Edited by Eldarain
  • Like 1

@zilberfrid You're probably right about that. I like Cogs a lot - but I'm used to slowing it down to make my ethereal wizards in NH tankier and speeding it up one turn. I was thinking I would use it with the Ghur spell to run Gotrek up to an important objective. I figure the way to play Gotrek in most games would be to just run him at an important objective.

@Eldarain That list looks fun, but I'm not sure if you've got enough wounds there. I'd love to hear how it does.

@dmorley21

My first try out with it didn't go great but I made a ton of mistakes and my Battlemages had to hide from the two sniper murder Catapults the Bonereapers brought. Drastically reducing what they could do.

I didn't have the Bridge in that list which really hurt me early as he could give me first turn and my list couldn't do much with it.

Here's my newest alteration to give the Bone Bros another go.

Hurricanum Blazing/Ignax. Sear Wounds/Warding Brand

Lord Arcanum: Roaming Wildfire/ Sear Wounds

Runelord

30 Ironbreakers

10 Bleakswords

5 Liberators Grand Hammer

10 Irondrakes: Torpedo

10 Irondrakes: Torpedo

Gotrek

Palisade

Soulscream Bridge

Gravetide

Arcanum looks like a fantastic option in this list as:

He saves on 3s and can easily make it 2s by popping him onto a terrain piece near the bridge (Damn Sniper Catapults)

His super Arcane Bolt is far better with the kinds of + to cast the army can provide

Unless I'm mistaken it seems I can keep his Murder Morteks tied up by resurrecting the final liberator after he one shots them.

His Flasks are a welcome 3D3 Mortals I will definitely need against said Murder Morteks.

So the plan is bridge in for an alpha, put up Palisade to block loS from catapults to Hurricanum/inhibit movement of units

Turn two place Gravetide to further obstruct movement and dispel Bridge, cast it again to escape/ambush from a new angle (Can you dispel an existing Endless Spell and recast it?)

Definitely open to suggestions though. As I said super new to the game.

Edited by Eldarain
Expanded thoughts

Yeah hallowheart is prob the best

Take 3 Mages to support inc healing spell and emerald life swarm

I wouldnt do cogs, but the battlemage that gives +2 run and charge

Bubble him in a block of Phoenix guard

Give him shooting support to clear chaff

So id do:

annointed (General)
Battlemage
battlemage
Knight incantor (ignax scales)
Sorceress 

30 Phoenix Guard
20 Darkshards (retinue) 
10 Darkshards 

Gotrek

Emerald Life swarm

Gives you a solid core (unbreakable 30 PG)
Good magic support
60 shots a turn from Darkshards
Dispel scroll from the incantor (with scaled to make him petty tough and can use the hallowheart ability on him)

Also you have 200pts spare to add in what else you fancy

• Like 1

I accentually came up with a Gotrek list while trying to come up with a mean Hallowheart list 🤣

Sorceress (General), Warden of the Flame, Thermalrider Cloak, Ignite Weapons, Elemental Cyclone.

Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage, Ingax's Scales, Sear Wounds

Battlemage (Azyr, Adjutant) Roaming Firestorm, Sear Wounds.

Battlemage (Ghur) Ignite Weapons, Warding Brand.

BATTLELINE

Black Guard x30

Darkshards (Honored Retinue) x20

Freeguild Guard x10

OTHER

Gotrek

BATTALION (Whitefire Retinue)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Balewind Vortex

Emerald Lifeswarm

The list can cast 8 spells per turn with fantastic pluses to cast, has access to 7 different spells that do d3 damage at 18 inches, 2 great shooting attacks, can be fast when I want to be aggressive and has defensive buffs when I need to be defensive. Also plenty of healing available if things go bad for Gotrek and the rest of the army and generateds 1-3 Command Points per turn.

If you're at range you're blasted with magic and shooting. If you come at me bro then you'll have 30 Black Guard hitting and wounding on 2s and Gotrek to contend with.

Or if I have to come to you or take a hard objective the Sorceress can command the Darkshards to run and shoot and the Black Guard to run and charge, and the Ghur Battlemage can give one of them +2 to their run and charge rolls.

Edited by Reezark_SP

22 hours ago, Reezark_SP said:

I accentually came up with a Gotrek list while trying to come up with a mean Hallowheart list 🤣

Sorceress (General), Warden of the Flame, Thermalrider Cloak, Ignite Weapons, Elemental Cyclone.

Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage, Ingax's Scales, Sear Wounds

Battlemage (Azyr, Adjutant) Roaming Firestorm, Sear Wounds.

Battlemage (Ghur) Ignite Weapons, Warding Brand.

BATTLELINE

Black Guard x30

Darkshards (Honored Retinue) x20

Freeguild Guard x10

OTHER

Gotrek

BATTALION (Whitefire Retinue)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Balewind Vortex

Emerald Lifeswarm

The list can cast 8 spells per turn with fantastic pluses to cast, has access to 7 different spells that do d3 damage at 18 inches, 2 great shooting attacks, can be fast when I want to be aggressive and has defensive buffs when I need to be defensive. Also plenty of healing available if things go bad for Gotrek and the rest of the army and generateds 1-3 Command Points per turn.

If you're at range you're blasted with magic and shooting. If you come at me bro then you'll have 30 Black Guard hitting and wounding on 2s and Gotrek to contend with.

Or if I have to come to you or take a hard objective the Sorceress can command the Darkshards to run and shoot and the Black Guard to run and charge, and the Ghur Battlemage can give one of them +2 to their run and charge rolls.

While this list looks like an excellent deathstar, I would have concerns trying to actually play the objective game with it.  The way that you have your force built you are wanting to keep your mages all together, and gotrek probably wants to be near them as well to get buffed.  Then you need to keep some of your battleline forces near your mages to protect them, which means that you can probably toss the freeguild guard down to take a local objective early and then sit around while the rest of your force tries to move forwards.  In some games this is fine (ex. knife to the heart), as there are just 2 objectives.  In other games this will lose you the game very quickly (ex. scorched earth, shifting objectives) as there are too many objectives for you to take and hold without splitting up your force, and once your force is split up it loses cohesion and becomes much easier to pick off in pieces.

This isn't to say that this is necessarily a BAD list.  However, it is going to be very battleplan dependent on whether or not you can win.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:46 AM, readercolin said:

While this list looks like an excellent deathstar, I would have concerns trying to actually play the objective game with it.  The way that you have your force built you are wanting to keep your mages all together, and gotrek probably wants to be near them as well to get buffed.  Then you need to keep some of your battleline forces near your mages to protect them, which means that you can probably toss the freeguild guard down to take a local objective early and then sit around while the rest of your force tries to move forwards.  In some games this is fine (ex. knife to the heart), as there are just 2 objectives.  In other games this will lose you the game very quickly (ex. scorched earth, shifting objectives) as there are too many objectives for you to take and hold without splitting up your force, and once your force is split up it loses cohesion and becomes much easier to pick off in pieces.

This isn't to say that this is necessarily a BAD list.  However, it is going to be very battleplan dependent on whether or not you can win.

While I can't comment on on how this list plays exactly because I just barely started collecting the models for it, it's not far off from the type of lists I enjoy playing that I've built with other armies. I'm a Nighthaunt main and so spreading out outside of range of my Hero buffs is almost always very risky.

While it's true games with many objectives on the board can be challenging, they're not impossible. On the other hand, the scenarios that do not involve a high number of objective locations tend to lean quite heavily in my favor 😁

In most games I play where there are many objectives the opponent tends to spread their army over multiple objectives to score early points and so I like to throw everything I have at just 1 or 2 objectives and completely obliterate whatever is there, then move onto the next objective. My whole army vs. pieces of their army, one battle round at a time. While it is an uphill battle, it does make for a fun and rewarding game.

And on paper this list looks to be more flexible and can adapt to changing situations better than what I'm playing right now. It has range, it has deathstar melee, it can turtle up, and it has a speed, buffs, and heals. 

I see this army typically playing like a moving castle. Only this castle has lots of range and can wouldn't have a hard time taking out all the support heroes the enemy army needs to keep being effective. The early game is spent taking a close objective or two and when they're completely locked down use Darkling's movement advantage to rush the next objectives while being supported by long range spell slinging.

That said only time and gameplay will tell how effective it really is. Once I've had a few games with this list under my belt, I'll report back.

Edited by Reezark_SP

Thanks everyone for sharing the thoughts on running Gotrek in a list. I've decided that there really isn't a combo that jumps out to me enough to change my mind from running a Living City list. My plan will be to use the ability to deepstrike to spread threats across the board. That way I can simply send Gotrek at an objective while other units worry about other objectives.