Dragons in the Cities

Ben

I've been furiously writing lists and I think i'm going to be using my Black Dragon again, and also have a good excuse to finish painting my 2nd one too.  

So assuming the list is build around getting the most from the dragon, what is the best combo? 

The stand out one so far for me is

Dreadlod on Dragon, Lance and Shield. 

Allegiance: Phoenicium

Trait: Seeker of Vengance

If combo'd right he can get +1/+1 for a friendly unit being destroyed, and +3 attacks on the lance.  With his command ability the whole model is hitting on 2+ wounding on 2+. the lance does rend 2 damage 2, the dragon is serious stuff too. 

• Like 3

I tougth use my dragonlord as black dragon with dreadlord.

The house anvilguard that let us choose one mount trait.

The mount trait i choose is the same than magmadroths,at melle when we get one unsaved wound with a +4 we do back one mortal wound(so if tye enemy kill our dragon at melle we do around 7 mortal wounds back)

Relic:the 5 special save(feel no pain)

Warlord trait:the hero know one spell of anvilguard,and i choose the put a -1 hit to tye dragon or the put save of "-" to a enemy unit.

So the dragon gonna have a save of 3 with 5save after save and with the spell a -1 to hit,also doing mortals back at melle.

I really dont like anvilguard theme and abilitys but i think is the best for the dragon

I've just kitbashed a Dreadlord with Exile Blade and Repeater crossbow.  I'm going to run him as my General in The Living City. Ironoak Artisan will put him on a 3+ save to compensate for no shield and gives +1 to wound rolls on the Blade. 

The aim is to deepstrike from the hidden paths, shoot then use "Strike then melt away" command ability to make a normal move to ensure a 3" charge in my opponent's backfield.  He will be accompanied by 5 Sisters of the Thorn (to keep in range) with the Lifesurge spell to heal him and he'll get 1 wound healed each turn from the city. 

Artifact will be Spear of the Hunt, which will let him strike first and mean that his Exile Blade will be 6 attacks at 3+,3+, and -1 rend, plus the Dragon attacks.

How successful it will be, I don't know, but I reckon it'll be fun!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

I've just kitbashed a Dreadlord with Exile Blade and Repeater crossbow.  I'm going to run him as my General in The Living City. Ironoak Artisan will put him on a 3+ save to compensate for no shield and gives +1 to wound rolls on the Blade. 

The aim is to deepstrike from the hidden paths, shoot then use "Strike then melt away" command ability to make a normal move to ensure a 3" charge in my opponent's backfield.  He will be accompanied by 5 Sisters of the Thorn (to keep in range) with the Lifesurge spell to heal him and he'll get 1 wound healed each turn from the city. 

Artifact will be Spear of the Hunt, which will let him strike first and mean that his Exile Blade will be 6 attacks at 3+,3+, and -1 rend, plus the Dragon attacks.

I'm thinking of doing the same but with Durthu. 

I had been building an order draconis list this last summer, and doing a kitbash of Dragon Blades and Drakespawn Knights to get my dragon blades.  I paused in building it after CoS was announced, and was then very disappointed when Order Draconis was not only not included, but now no longer even being printed.  However, I decided to make the best of it, and decided that this would be the most amusing way to finish the army.

Here is what I have:

1 Prince Imirik model (Easily call it a dreadlord with sword/shield)

1 Dragonlord (rider not attached yet, can either attach a sorceress or a "dreadlord")

1 Black Dragon (rider not attached, again can be either a sorceress or dreadlord)

2 squads of 5 Drakespawn Knights (kitbashed)

The "list" that I decided to build:

Dreadlord of Black Dragon (300 pts) (general)

Dreadlord of Black Dragon (300 pts)

Sorceress on Black Dragon (300 pts)

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560 pts)

5 Drakespawn Knights (170 pts)

This comes out to 1970 points, and yes, it could totally be improved by swapping the drakespawn knights for... literally anything else.  However, you can easily say that you are able to win any battle because you brought more dragons than your opponent did - and all 4 dragons look different too.  I haven't decided which city this army would follow yet.  The three cities that I am thinking of are as follows:

Anvilguard is the "fluffy" city, and gives you the drakespawn curses for your 3 dragons.

Tempest Eye gives an improved turn 1 movement (as well as giving everything but the sorceress a 2+ save on turn 1 if both dreadlords have shields), and also allows the general a command trait that allows him to fight first in combat.

Living City to heal 1 wound a turn, and take the healing spell.  It also allows for an artifact to strike first on a charge, and the option of keeping a dragon or two in reserve (which works better if the dreadlord gets a ranged weapon).

On 10/6/2019 at 2:54 AM, Aelfric said:

Thank you for this !

I was just contemplating the differences between the Dragon and Gryffon. I had a Living city Gryffon build and was wondering if there is any reason to run a Black Dragon, especially with a crossbow. This, while comparably less killy than the Gryffon build is much more point at the location and ensure it gets in there. Still removing a lot of stuff and buying precious time for the remainder of the army. Heck it might be possible to run both. The dragon is the perfect Distraction Carnifex, while the Gryff would be the anvil and hammer in one, getting there Turn 2 ..... hmmm I am really liking this idea.

Edited by Myrdin
  • Thanks 1