The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

It would be interesting to compare that list with the one from SG Warhound.

I think it's the same leaks

Btw, great article on the skavens from GW. I often prefer to consider 1986 as the foundign year for skavens, but it's true that it was on december of 1985 that the first skaven minis were teased on the third Citadel Compendium.

As Warcom(GW doesn't ****** care about crediting the mfing authors, will be interesting to note that their designs and first-hand lore was crafted by Jes Goodwin himself

image.jpeg.4112fe6555c24d3218cc80a2f47d64ca.jpeg

Not gonna put all the pages from the third Citadel journal (what I prefer to consider their origin, april 1986) but contrary to what the article says, skavens are the only warhammer race that hasn't changed much in all these 39 years.

skaven-1.webp.f809174de1ccfc7dc5d6561ac6415fc1.webp

I see there's also no mention to William King, Rick Priestley, or Andy Chambers, but know that these guys were also great colaborators on founding the skaven mythos (not even a mention about Thanquol!!!!).

It's also sad that the article talks about the ratckoning when everything moved to plastic,without a mention about Seb, you know, Seb, but oh, I guess it's a full lore article.

But one thing to note

No doubt they would have soon conquered everything had not some fellow named Archaon ushered in the End Times.

You can say that this is technically what it happens, but never forget that skavens did all the dps during End Times. Araby, the Southern Realms, half Cathay, the lizardmen, dwarfs, half the Empire... that was all skaven-doing, but oh well.

Btw, i'm also lacking some narrative direction on objectives and cities to defend. This needed a narrative book puting al lthe details.

Edited by Garrac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

This is pretty cool, but I’d instantly drop $100+ USD if GW would publish a book that consolidates all the AOS lore up to the end of Dawnbringers into a single tome.

How about we start at 60 USD and make GW haggle their way up 😭

I finally got my hands on some Dawnbringer books, and though I love how much narrative and worldbuilding text there is... I was disappointed at the lack of (new) art in the books.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Not gonna put all the pages from the third Citadel journal (what I prefer to consider their origin, april 1986) but contrary to what the article says, skavens are the only warhammer race that hasn't changed much in all these 39 years.

Whenever GW says this about a faction, I always take it as the models changing and not necessarily the core identity? Straight up adding lore is also technically changing a faction; doesn't need to mean rewrites or retcons either. But the changes in model development, from metal to plastic alone, are huge changes.

8 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

How about we start at 60 USD and make GW haggle their way up 😭

I finally got my hands on some Dawnbringer books, and though I love how much narrative and worldbuilding text there is... I was disappointed at the lack of (new) art in the books.

They for the most part did really well with Broken realm that Dawnbringer felt like a disappointment narrative wise.

though I always felt that Narrative books in general just don’t sell well.

33 minutes ago, novakai said:

They for the most part did really well with Broken realm that Dawnbringer felt like a disappointment narrative wise.

though I always felt that Narrative books in general just don’t sell well.

I prefer Dawnbringers because Broken Reams feels more like a fight between gods and big names and Dawnbringers is more the mortals in the mortal realms. And Ushoran and Zenestra IMO are the best characters from the whole BR and 3rd ed.

Just now, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Warlock Engineers were translated as Technomages in the French translations of WFB. So it's the same thing and probably this mini yes.

That makes a lot of sense, especially with some of the other wonky names. I guess the post is just a feedback loop from SG Warhound? But crucially, it forgot about the ALL WEAPON TEAMS part, which is very juicy.

3 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Warlock Engineers were translated as Technomages in the French translations of WFB. So it's the same thing and probably this mini yes.

Warlock Galvaneer with Warpvolt Obliterator, by SG Warhound.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I prefer Dawnbringers because Broken Reams feels more like a fight between gods and big names and Dawnbringers is more the mortals in the mortal realms. And Ushoran and Zenestra IMO are the best characters from the whole BR and 3rd ed.

Well it just maybe just me but I felt the narrative felt flat with Dawnbringer then with Broken realms, there not as much discourse or discussion about the storyline.

though it could be the content of the books did feel lacking like some of PTG sections 

7 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

the scale is definitely something they struggle with, I think it'd be ok if they didn't always try to do these grand narratives that include every faction. For example over a quarter they could release a few army books and a campaign book that included all of those factions. Instead of having a crazy amount of books over the last 6 months of an edition, spread them out a bit more so the narrative feels more continuous?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Luperci said:

the scale is definitely something they struggle with, I think it'd be ok if they didn't always try to do these grand narratives that include every faction. For example over a quarter they could release a few army books and a campaign book that included all of those factions. Instead of having a crazy amount of books over the last 6 months of an edition, spread them out a bit more so the narrative feels more continuous?

I would prefer a different series based on fewer factions, indeed. If they follow the same route than 40k (with narrative books more often during the edition) maybe we can see something like that.

2 minutes ago, Luperci said:

Is this related to "Is AoS a setting or a story"?

During an edition it's a setting so not a lot can change. Then in the run up to a new edition they can/need to have loads of narrative to set up the updated setting for the new edition.

Maybe? Who knows? I'm just waffling.

3 minutes ago, Luperci said:

I'd love something like this;

The current "Blight City Incursion" event in the narrative would be a great vehicle for that style of release, and they could even make most of the books self-contained stories that maybe cross over at the end: like how you got snapshots of factions that all met up for the Malign Portent in-canon fight at Nagash's Black Pyramid

A book or two a year, focusing on a handful of armies at a specific crossroads due to the overarching problem. You could even just break it up by Realm and focus on a small slice of each! Have a bunch of the protagonists meet in the last book like a crossover comic to fight the Big Bad and usher in the new edition. Looking down the barrel of $150 in books in the next couple months, I wouldn't have minded doing Broken Realms or Dawnbrinders and had a much slower pace for the books

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

I'd love something like this;

The current "Blight City Incursion" event in the narrative would be a great vehicle for that style of release, and they could even make most of the books self-contained stories that maybe cross over at the end: like how you got snapshots of factions that all met up for the Malign Portent in-canon fight at Nagash's Black Pyramid

A book or two a year, focusing on a handful of armies at a specific crossroads due to the overarching problem. You could even just break it up by Realm and focus on a small slice of each! Have a bunch of the protagonists meet in the last book like a crossover comic to fight the Big Bad and usher in the new edition. Looking down the barrel of $150 in books in the next couple months, I wouldn't have minded doing Broken Realms or Dawnbrinders and had a much slower pace for the books

I would definitely like if we jumped around the realms more throughout the edition, you'd get the feeling that everwhere really was just at war at all times.

8 minutes ago, Luperci said:

I would definitely like if we jumped around the realms more throughout the edition, you'd get the feeling that everwhere really was just at war at all times.

I agree! I feel like the Realmgates really really open up what the "scale" of these stories could be. The Malign Portents and Necroquake arcs, this big "Blight City directly invades" arc, even Alarielle's rite of Life that was sort of glossed over all could/should result in stories that could take place anywhere or in brand-new locations we've never heard of! 

I think it could also play nicely with the hype/anticipation cycle GW likes; have lots of short stories in between each book! Play with cliffhangers or foreshadow cool ideas that'll pan out in the upcoming book with the narrative hooks they did on Warhammer Community more often in the earlier editions

3.0 could have opened with the Dawnbringer Crusades, and they could have really leaned hard into those stories for years! With their initial terrain ideas, having the narrative entirely focused on crusades for the whole edition wouldve worked great! The initial half of the edition wouldve been buildings under construction while the Dawnbringer books are focused on foundation-setting and outposts, and you could have paired the "finished building" terrain kits with a "alright now we have some new cities, here's where things are going south" in the second half. 

We'll see how 4.0 shakes out narratively; it seems like stuff internally had Broken Realms get axed before it really got rolling in favor of reshuffling stuff ahead of Dawnbringers. 

Edited by Pizzaprez

Well something did happen to Season of War during 3rd because it just release and hinted more incarnate but then they said Nope this was a bad idea and nothing came out of that release.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, novakai said:

Well something did happen to Season of War during 3rd because it just release and hinted more incarnate but then they said Nope this was a bad idea and nothing came out of that release.

From where I'm sitting, that narrative had to eventually introduce Morghur to the setting and have some pretty big fallout for the Realms as a whole. The incarnates seemed to be something important, that were going to be built on, in a similar way to how Endless Spells helped to emphasize some aspects of the setting.

GW deciding to drop beasts had to have been something they planned for for awhile internally; likely around when they were nailing down TOW's ruleset. Timeline-wise, this shaking out about two years ago feels right. That narrative just sort of faded away when I was expecting/anticipating at least one sequel. 

If it was a multi-book story about how the Incarnates started showing up and the Beastmen began to corrupt them into/for Morghur, snowballing into the AoS Beastmen reboot, I could see why someone saying "yo AoS team, you're losing beastmen" would result in the entire narrative getting axed. Alarielle has also been pretty quiet since the Rite of Life, which (to me) supports the perspective her and the beasts would have finally had a narrative arc focused on the Alarielle/Morghur mud wrestling match that ive been thirsting for since 2003

• Like 4

image.png.3205b614c70ea9e5551dbcfd03a2fe65.png

Spurious perhaps, but the web shop I typically buy from has added years to certain Stormcast products, like Judicators and Knight-Heraldors. Never mind that the dates aren't accurate (I think), it might still suggest an update for those models. 

Interestingly, neither Knight-Azyros nor Retributors have received such a labeling.

Edited by Magnusaur

14 minutes ago, Magnusaur said:

Spurious perhaps, but the web shop I typically buy from has added years to certain Stormcast products, like Judicators and Knight-Heraldors. Never mind that the dates aren't accurate (I think), it might still suggest an update for those models. 

Interestingly, neither Knight-Azyros nor Retributors have received such a labeling.

I've noticed this before on the GW webstore, it's inconsistent across all the model ranges, I wouldn't take it to mean anything 

13 minutes ago, Magnusaur said:

In the most recent products (from 2017 or 2018) the dates are part of the URL of every product, so maybe it is just a kind of a follow up on that.

I also realised,  while I was doing my WHFB remaining minis excel, that this is not always acurate. Some WHFB minis could have 2017 or 2018 in the URL, but it is a minority.

17 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

From where I'm sitting, that narrative had to eventually introduce Morghur to the setting and have some pretty big fallout for the Realms as a whole. The incarnates seemed to be something important, that were going to be built on, in a similar way to how Endless Spells helped to emphasize some aspects of the setting.

GW deciding to drop beasts had to have been something they planned for for awhile internally; likely around when they were nailing down TOW's ruleset. Timeline-wise, this shaking out about two years ago feels right. That narrative just sort of faded away when I was expecting/anticipating at least one sequel. 

If it was a multi-book story about how the Incarnates started showing up and the Beastmen began to corrupt them into/for Morghur, snowballing into the AoS Beastmen reboot, I could see why someone saying "yo AoS team, you're losing beastmen" would result in the entire narrative getting axed. Alarielle has also been pretty quiet since the Rite of Life, which (to me) supports the perspective her and the beasts would have finally had a narrative arc focused on the Alarielle/Morghur mud wrestling match that ive been thirsting for since 2003

Considering that Broken realm Allarielle was scrap (allegedly) in 2nd edition which had her fight Beastmen and completing the Rite of life, it may have even been earlier when they decided the fate of BoC

• Like 3