Balewind Interaction with Rancid Visitations Spell

Dreadmund

Question

The Balewind rules say "...you can add 6" to the range of any spell the WIZARD casts."

Rancid Visitations Spell - "If successfully cast, pick an enemy unit within 3" of the caster. The unit suffers 1 mortal wound for each model from the unit that is within 3" of the caster."

My Question is: If Rancid Visitations is cast by a wizard on a balewind does it deal 1 mortal wound for every model within 9" of the caster, or does it target a unit within 9" but still only deals 1 mortal wound per model within 3" of the caster?

9 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Stroke said:

It's to both In this instance as any measurement made from the caster is increased by 6", measuring from a point on the battlefield or other than the caster does not get the bonus though.

Correct:

"Q: Sometimes a spell will have an area of effect (e.g. all models from a unit that are within 18" of the caster, or all models within 3" of a point on the battlefield that is within 24" of the caster). If an ability increases the range of the spell, is the size of this area of effect increased by the same amount as the range is increased? A: If the area of effect is measured from the caster, yes. If the area of effect is measured from a point on the battlefield, no – the ability will increase the range to the point on the battlefield instead. To carry on your example, if an ability increased the range of a spell by 6", then in the first case the spell would affect all the models from the unit that were within 24" of the caster instead of 18", while in the second case the range of the point on the battlefield would be 30" instead of 24" but the spell would still only affect models within 3" of that point. Note that if area of effect is measured from a point on the battlefield, and that point is ‘anywhere on the battlefield’, then an ability that increases the range will have no effect on that spell."

(https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_en.pdf, page 3)

Since the area of effect is measured from the caster, you are good to go @Dreadmund.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, King Taloren said:

The balewind extends only the initial casting range of the spell not the effect. You could pick a unit within 9” but it would still only deal mortal wounds to any models of that unit within 3” of the caster. 

That's what I thought. It was nice to fantasize about deleting entire horde units with a single spellcast though ^-^

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Isotop said:

Correct:

"Q: Sometimes a spell will have an area of effect (e.g. all models from a unit that are within 18" of the caster, or all models within 3" of a point on the battlefield that is within 24" of the caster). If an ability increases the range of the spell, is the size of this area of effect increased by the same amount as the range is increased? A: If the area of effect is measured from the caster, yes. If the area of effect is measured from a point on the battlefield, no – the ability will increase the range to the point on the battlefield instead. To carry on your example, if an ability increased the range of a spell by 6", then in the first case the spell would affect all the models from the unit that were within 24" of the caster instead of 18", while in the second case the range of the point on the battlefield would be 30" instead of 24" but the spell would still only affect models within 3" of that point. Note that if area of effect is measured from a point on the battlefield, and that point is ‘anywhere on the battlefield’, then an ability that increases the range will have no effect on that spell."

(https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_en.pdf, page 3)

Since the area of effect is measured from the caster, you are good to go @Dreadmund.

Incredible, thanks so much! A 9 inch bubble around the balewind is effectively a 23-24 inch area of effect. That could be devastating against horde units of single wound models like grots or plague monks.

A quick follow-up question: if you cast the spell using an umbral spellportal would it do damage based on how many models from that unit were within range of the spellportal or would it still be from the caster? I had assumed it would be from the caster still, but this has given me doubt.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:36 PM, Dreadmund said:

Incredible, thanks so much! A 9 inch bubble around the balewind is effectively a 23-24 inch area of effect. That could be devastating against horde units of single wound models like grots or plague monks.

A quick follow-up question: if you cast the spell using an umbral spellportal would it do damage based on how many models from that unit were within range of the spellportal or would it still be from the caster? I had assumed it would be from the caster still, but this has given me doubt.

Lets establish one thing. The range of the spell is 3"

Balewind increases this by 6" up to a total of 9"

You measure range and visibility from the second spell portal, as long as the other is within 1" of the caster. So you would then measure the range of the spell (which is now 9") from the second spell portal.  Absolutely insane combo. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

On 4/30/2019 at 10:00 AM, King Taloren said:

The balewind extends only the initial casting range of the spell not the effect. You could pick a unit within 9” but it would still only deal mortal wounds to any models of that unit within 3” of the caster. 

No where on the balewind warscroll does it describe the "initial casting." It says:

Arcane Invigoration

A wizard on a Balewind Vortex can attempt to cast an additional spell in each of their hero phases (including the turn in which the Summon Balewind Vortex spell was cast), and you can add 6" to the range of any spells that the wizard casts. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

27 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Lets establish one thing. The range of the spell is 3"

Balewind increases this by 6" up to a total of 9"

You measure range and visibility from the second spell portal, as long as the other is within 1" of the caster. So you would then measure the range of the spell (which is now 9") from the second spell portal.  Absolutely insane combo. 

That definitely seems to be what that FAQ implies, and that's how I'm going to play it! I haven't heard a convincing argument otherwise and I've shopped it around with a bunch of people in my local scene.