The Iron Grots - a Gloomspite blog

mikethefish

Hey folks, I thought I would try and keep a hobby blog of my Gloomspite army.  I've modeled and painted plenty of armies in my time, but as this one is an army I am trying to personalize with a bit more creativity, I thought making a record of it would be fun.

My army, the Iron Grots, hails from Chamon, and as such I thought it might be fun to add some steampunk wackiness into the standard wackiness that Gloomspite has anyhow.  My main center piece is going to be a huge steam powered Rogue Idol

You can see my current progress.  Basically I have the main body and head constructed at this point.  Right now I am in the process of adding the fun details - cogs, steam pipes, etc.  Oh yeah...and eventually I will be gluing on rivets.  So...so many rivets. 

Haven't don't too much with the arms yet - just got the basic frames done so I can get the posing down correctly.

I get that he looks a little goofy right now, but I promise that in the end, Mecha Grot should hopefully look pretty boss!

eGRTyN4.jpg

iOalQNK.jpg

Sz3dgGY.jpg

Edited by mikethefish
  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 4

17 hours ago, Zambo said:

This is one of the wackiest ideas I’ve seen it’s utterly ridiculous!! 

N therefore moonshines in  grotty excellence can’t wait to see it finished 😂

Thanks! 

My backstory was that one of my MadCap Shamans ate a weird (more than normal) mushroom, and was "blessed" with the plans for the Iron Grot in a fever dream.  

I figure that Grots hate being the weakest and that weediest of all the races, and the Iron Grot is sort of their way of bullying the other races the way they themselves get bullied.  During battle, I just imagine all the other Grots jeering and taunting their opponents as the Iron Grot smashes it's way through them,

"Who's the runt now, huh?  YEAH!!!"

So I did a little bit of work on the Iron Grot last night.  I added a collection of random looking smokestacks on his back (I figure the thing runs on steam created by boiled mushroom juice!) and I decorated his hunch with a bunch of 3d printed spikes I bought off of Thingvese.  Oh yeah, and I gave him "ears" to complete the gobbo face look.  Going good so far, though I need more steam pipes, and a few more details.

GozTecm.jpg

cRyEsqO.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I like it!

Although I will admit that the long-time 40k Ork mek in me laments that you did not start this project with a Mr Potato-Head body.  But this looks fantastic all the same!

This is obviously quite early in the project, and you will certainly add more details, but my only real suggestion at this point is that I think his feet should be the pointy armored jester shoes that you see throughout the Goblin range (or Rackham).  The same thing that you see on the new Loonboss on foot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alrighty, work is creeping along.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel though!  I did the last of the steam pipes I want on the body, and (more importantly), I am nearly done with the fingers on his hands!  The fingers were a big deal, and were kind of fiddly to do.  Several times I was kicking myself for attempting them, instead of sculpting something a bit easier, but now that they are done, I am pretty happy with the result.  Will make the whole model look a lot more robot-y.

Basically the arms and hands need some detail work.  I need to sculpt something for his shoulders, once I attach the arms to the body, and then the rest is just to cover the thing in rivets.  Hopefully I will start painting the thing by the end of this week!

v6J0AOB.jpg

sJepeDB.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/29/2019 at 2:48 PM, Skabnoze said:

I like it!

Although I will admit that the long-time 40k Ork mek in me laments that you did not start this project with a Mr Potato-Head body.  But this looks fantastic all the same!

This is obviously quite early in the project, and you will certainly add more details, but my only real suggestion at this point is that I think his feet should be the pointy armored jester shoes that you see throughout the Goblin range (or Rackham).  The same thing that you see on the new Loonboss on foot.

Pointy feet would have been a really boss idea!  Wish I would have had it early on.  At this point, I think I will just let that one go, and power through to get this thing completed.  

2 hours ago, mikethefish said:

Pointy feet would have been a really boss idea!  Wish I would have had it early on.  At this point, I think I will just let that one go, and power through to get this thing completed.  

It seems like you can still do it by just overlapping plasticard to make the armored shoes and extend them out a little ways.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting back to the Iron Grot.  Despite good intentions, I needed to take a short break from the thing - it's a big project!  I finished off painting my 2000 pts of Ironjawz as a sort of palate cleanser, but back to construction again.  The big thing is I have everything except the arms all riveted, which was a lesson in tedium

Anyhow, I apologize up front for the crappy photos - I just need some opinions here.  

Do you think he looks better with his arms swinging like he is walking/moving?

Mt9If9a.jpg

or...

Do you think he looks better as if he is reaching for something

KBjFQ3B.jpg

• Like 1

I think I like the way you have the arms posed in the first picture. It gives him more of a lumbering look. And ya, haha, all those rivets look like a huge pain to put on, but I bet it'll help with the look of it once it's all painted.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...