Can you self-ally?

Mykah

Question

Here’s what I mean.

Let’s use the golden boys as an example. I want to run a Stormcast Eternal army, I run them as Hammer Hands, but I would like some Hallowed Knights as well. So the question is can I self-ally using different sub-factions (sky-ports, lodges, enclaves). If so, do you give them your main allegiance rules?

11 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Allies never gain Allegiance abilities so no, even if it is a thing you can't give the allied in Stormcast a different Stormhost. 

Right,  but can you run two Stormhost in an army, using both their ruleset?

4 minutes ago, Mykah said:

Right, but can you run two Stormhost in an army, using both their ruleset?

Still No. The ruling for the stormhost specifies you choose one for your army. The rules for the allegiance ability states you need your army to all have the right keyword. 

21 minutes ago, Mykah said:

Right,  but can you run two Stormhost in an army, using both their ruleset?

No because you've only got one army as the core so only one set of allegiance abilities. You can take Stormcast or any model from your allies pool as an ally; but they only come with what's on their warscroll. Even mages cannot use a non-faction lore of magic and so allied mages only come with their warscroll spells (though they can use Realm Spells and Endless spells and faction specific endless spells if they have the right keyword).

The technical answer to "Can I run a Stormcast army and have more Stormcast as allies?" is YES, but I've tried and tried to find a single benefit and can't.  The answer to the more specific question of mixing Stormhosts is almost but not quite NO.

Your main army can have a Stormhost, and all the units in the main army have that keyword.

Your allied force won't have that keyword.  It also won't have any other Stormhost keyword, with the exception of certain named characters (Gavriel is always Hammers, hence "almost but not quite NO" above).  Exactly as if they were allied into any other GA: Order army.

And I can't for the life of me find any benefits you could cook up by doing this - only penalties.  Even at the most obvious case, allying Gavriel into a non-Hammers list, you don't get any benefit.  Gavriel can only use his ability on himself. 

So you've got a sub-faction of your army that doesn't benefit from some of your abilities, with no upside (other than a lore-based one, if you want to be telling the story of a joint strikeforce, but even then the handcuff of Matched Play is probably not right for your story).

Thank you for all your answer guys!

The question isn't just with the SE, just in general. The only other way I can think that you can do to have two sub-faction working together (crunch-wise) would be if you run them as battalions. Although there are only a few armies that can do that have them as sub-factions (ironjawz and fyreslayers from the general handbook come to mind)

2 hours ago, Mykah said:

Thank you for all your answer guys!

The question isn't just with the SE, just in general. The only other way I can think that you can do to have two sub-faction working together (crunch-wise) would be if you run them as battalions. Although there are only a few armies that can do that have them as sub-factions (ironjawz and fyreslayers from the general handbook come to mind)

Stormcasts are, as far as I can see, the only army being able to ally with "themselves". The can ally with any Order unit, which includes Stormcasts. Ironjaws, on the other hand,  can not ally in Ironjaws. Ironjaws do not have Ironjaws (or "any Destruction unit") in their list of allies.

40 minutes ago, Isotop said:

Stormcasts are, as far as I can see, the only army being able to ally with "themselves". The can ally with any Order unit, which includes Stormcasts. Ironjaws, on the other hand,  can not ally in Ironjaws. Ironjaws do not have Ironjaws (or "any Destruction unit") in their list of allies.

I think the main reason is so that if you are trying to run any named heroes in stormcast but running a different faction from Hammers. You can ally in the Heroes without losing the tag for the main force because once you choose a named Stormcast Hero you are automatically forced into being Hammers otherwise.

7 hours ago, King Taloren said:

I think the main reason is so that if you are trying to run any named heroes in stormcast but running a different faction from Hammers. You can ally in the Heroes without losing the tag for the main force because once you choose a named Stormcast Hero you are automatically forced into being Hammers otherwise.

That is not how it works:

"If your army is a Stormcast Eternals army, you can give it a Stormhost keyword. All STORMCAST ETERNAL units in your army gain that keyword. If a model already has a Stormhost keyword, it cannot gain another one, but this does not prevent other units in your army from having a different Stormhost keyword. [...]"

(Stormcast Eternals Battletome, page 117 under STORMHOSTS)

You are not "automatically forced into being Hammers" by taking named units. You can select a Stormhost Keyword for all units in your army that do not allready have one. You do not have to ally in Hammers of Sigmar characters to use them along a different Stormhost.

This is not meant as an offense, but I think you should start to actually read/check the rules you are talking about in this forum.

Archived