A tasty realm based side-dish to the GHB19 main course...

JPjr

All the talk of the GHB19 got me thinking, will there be some kind of new campaign/expansion released alongside it?  It felt like having Soul Wars,  Malign Sorcery & GHB18 all come out together gave the game lots of momentum, likewise in 40K with the latest Chapter Approved dropping with the first Vigilus Campaign book and now the Urban Conquest box.  With no core book launch this year I wondered what we could get along with the next GHB to ramp up the EVENT-ness of it. 

Seeing as there, very understandably, seems to be a drive by GW to make the game more visually impressive whether that's via these big faction specific terrain pieces, Endless Spells or just scenery bundles I thought we might be looking at something that's faction agnostic and gets a lots of dramatic new scenery out there.

Either a Malign Sorcery style Mortal Realms box set with a book that gives a lot more info and special rules for each of the realms (and their armies), painting guides for each realm (as in the new WD)  and a load of crazy scenery pieces. Or possibly more likely a more focussed set like Urban Conquest that just hones in on a specific realm (Chamon* I'd guess, as that's the Loon King's base, where the Carrion War is taking place, and seems to be tied to the WD Skirmish rules) with a dedicated campaign and terrain to match.

I always figure that scenery will always be one of the last things a lot of people buy but it makes the game look so much better especially for newcomers, so bundling it up in a way that people feel like they're either getting more out of it might shift a few more units. Anyway all pure pie in the sky speculation, of course, but I figured someone might have heard something.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

*As an aside does anyone else hear a bad Michael Jackson impression in their head when they see/hear the word 'Chamon'?

22 minutes ago, JPjr said:

As an aside does anyone else hear a bad Michael Jackson impression in their head when they see/hear the word 'Chamon'?

... Now I will, thanks tons.

Now someone needs to make a grot loonboss with the Chamon artifact that's a jeweled gauntlet. He will be called Maniacal Jackson, aka The Thing That Goes Ehehee In The Night

On topic though, I hope they do do this, because I want realm specific monsters! Or at least realm traits for mounts. Do Chamonic horses have metallic hooves, giving it stronger attacks? Can a Hyshian Mawcrusha make itself translucent to magic, allowing it to redirect spells? I must know!

I think another campaign is due, though I don't know how it would go. I can see some kind of relm specific box for shyish or chamon, certainly, maybe show that this is a small portion of a relm, but have it still be massive in scale? 

at the very least another firestorm could be fun. I don't know about the rules for independent cities and the like, but having a campaign system where you fight over the areas with your friends on a customizable map would be excellent. really forge that narrative.

I hope that there will be at least a book for battles in each realms beyond the core book, maybe released alongside another seeds of hope style global campaign.

4 hours ago, chord said:

I hope we get a campaign. But more in the style of the realmgate wars books where the story actually happens. Was not really happy with  Malign Portents.  

Malign Portents was weird. I loved the short stories every couple of days and the one that snuck into white dwarf.

I couldn't have cared less about the actual release of the four heroes, sadly!

A single Realmgate War type book would be ace.

16 hours ago, Lousy Beatnik said:

Malign Portents was weird. I loved the short stories every couple of days and the one that snuck into white dwarf.

I couldn't have cared less about the actual release of the four heroes, sadly!

A single Realmgate War type book would be ace.

I liked the short stories but not the actual campaign book itself.  It was so...bland when compared to the realmgate war books

16 hours ago, Lousy Beatnik said:

The weirdest thing is actually that there is still the Errata with the Harbingers, being usable outside of Malign Portent games as general even if they are allies.

I mean there is no reference about that in the Battletomes for Stormcast Eternals, Nighthaunt or Gloomspite Gits or that they are even Harbingers because they only get this keyword when used in a Malign Portents game.

Archived