The Great Hobby Purge

TheWilddog

One of my hobby goals for the year was to clear out all my old unfinished projects. So for the last two days I have been going through all my old discarded stuff getting it together. I have to say I might have a plastic problem.  I got all my unfinished, unloved stuff together and took it down to my LGS and they gave me a really fair deal on it.  My hobby space is sooooo much clearer and man it feels good. I also thought it would be good to start a thread like this so anybody else looking to clear out their hobby detritus could share their victories. Here is the rundown of what I sacrificed to the hobby gods:

Warhammer 40K

1 box Eldar Windriders (plastic)

Complete in box, opened shrink rap off

1 box Eldar Windriders (plastic)

Complete in box, unopened shrink rap on

1 Blood Angels Baal Predator (plastic)

1 Space Marine Drop Pod (plastic)

1 Fenrisian Wolf Pack (plastic)

1 Ultramarines Upgrade Pack (plastic)

Complete in box, unopened

1 Blood Angels Upgrade Pack (plastic)

Complete in box, unopened

1 Space Marine Bike (plastic)

Complete in box, opened shrink rap off - Just one model, direct purchase from GW

1 Eldar Wave Serpent (plastic)

Partially built (not primed or painted) all extra spurs and box included

1 Eldar War Walker (plastic)

Partially built (not primed or painted) extra spurs included. Pinned to resin Dragonforge base.

1 Space Marine Battle Force (plastic)

Opened Dreadnought  and 1 Tactical Marine built (not primed or painted), other models still on sprue. Dreadnought weapon arms not glued and pinned to resin Dragonforge base. Built Tactical Marine pinned to resin Dragonforged base. 

6 Group of Blood Angel Tactical Marines (plastic)

5 BA Tactical Marines built (not primed or painted) and 1 more TM on sprue. 5 Built Marines pinned to resin Dragonforge bases, all have resin Flesh Tearer shoulder pads on one side.

5 Blood Angel Death Company Assault Marines With Jump Packs (plastic)

All built (not primed or painted) and pinned to resin Dragonforge bases.

10 Space Marine Assault Marines With Jump Packs (plastic)

9 completely built (not primed or painted), 1 on sprue. 9 Built Marines pinned to resin Dragonforge bases, all have resin Flesh Tearer shoulder pads on one side. Sprue has bits to built an additional 2 more Marines without jump packs.

1 Partial Ultramarines Upgrade Pack (plastic)

1 Blood Angel Librarian In Terminator Armor  (plastic)

Built (not primed or painted) and pinned to resin Dragonforge base.

1 Blood Angels Gabriel Seth (resin)

1 Eldar Spirit Seer (resin)

Warhammer Fantasy - Age Of Sigmar

1 Aleguzzler Gargant (plastic)

1 Dwarf Gyrobomer (plastic)

1 Lothern Skycutter  (plastic)

1 Ogre Ironblaster (plastic)

4 Orge Leadbelchers (plastic)

4 built and based (not painted or primed)

10 Stormcast Judicators (plastic)

Built and based (not painted or primed) 

15 Stormcast Liberators (plastic)

14 built and based (not painted or primed), 1 painted to tabletop

3 Stormcast Prosecutors (plastic)

15 Stormcast Retributors (plastic)

14 built and based (not painted or primed), 1 primed and partially painted - Includes 6 Starsoul Maces

1 Stormcast Lord Celestant On Dracoth (plastic)

1 Stormcast Lord Celestant (converted)  (plastic)

1 Stormcast Lord Relictor

Built (not painted or primed)

1 Stormcast Knight Venator (plastic)

3 Stormcast Endless Spells  (plastic)

66 Skaven Clan Rats/Slaves (plastic)

62 built and based, 4 built but not based (all painted to tabletop standard)

39 Grots (pastic)

35 built and based (not primed or painted) 4 not based. (18 spears, 16 bows, 5 hand weapon)

1 Goblin Fanatic (plastic)

Built based and primed black

1 Sorceress On Black Dragon (plastic) 

Dragon built and based (not painted or primed) rider on sprue

20 High Elf Sword Master (plastic)

30 High Elf Sea Guard (plastic)

Built and based (not painted or primed) some arms not attached, some minor damage on a few spears

15 High Elf Reavers (plastic)

10 built and based (not painted or primed), 5 cut off sprue but not built

2 High Elf Bolt Throwers (plastic)

Both built (not painted or primed), one crew built one on sprue

2 High Elf Lord On Griffon (plastic)

1 Partially built and based, one on sprue (both not painted or primed)

2 High Elf Mages (plastic)

Both partially built (not painted or primed)

2 High Elf Eagles (Lord of the Rings Models) (plastic)

Both built (one not painted or primed) one painted to tabletop but broken off flight stand

24 Freeguild Guard (plastic)

20 partially built, arms and weapons on sprue (a few primed), 4 painted to tabletop standard

10 Freeguild Gunners (plastic)

All built and based on resin bases (7 not primed or painted, 3 painted to tabletop)

1 Freeguild Canon And Crew (plastic)

Built and based on resin bases, painted to tabletop

1 Freeguild Engineer (plastic)

Built and based on resin base (not painted or primed)

1 Freeguild Steamtank And Crew

Partially built and based (not painted or primed) (rest of bits on sprues) 

1 Freeguild Engineer On Mechanical Stead (resin)

Built and based on resin base (not painted or primed)

1 Empire Mage (plastic)

Built and based, painted to tabletop

10 Disposesed (Dwarves) Irondrakes (plastic) 

Built and based on resin bases (not painted or primed)

4 Freeguild Pistoliers (plastic)

Horses built and based, riders on sprue (not primed or painted)

1 Freeguild Helblaster Volley Gun

Partially assembled, rest on sprue (not primed or painted)

20 Skeleton Archers (plastic)

Built and based painted to tabletop

10 Mantic Ghouls (plastic)

Built, based and partially painted 

Great job man, that must feel a million times better. I am strict with my purchasing so I don’t get into that situation because it’s so easy to do.

I also helped myself get stuff painted by refusing to play with unpainted miniatures and giving up video games.

Man that was one huge hobby clean up.  I have a similar, if smaller, forgotten backlog.  Your post got me motivated so I did a little new year fling of my own.  Here is what I got rid of:

2 Stormcast halves of the Soul Wars starter

1 Celestant Prime 

2 Morghasts 

30 or zombies 

23 minutes ago, Mosquito onthe TenthFloor said:

I throw a lot of my stuff in the bin.........or if its still in the boxes, give it to the charity shop. 

I wouldn't throw usable models in the bin! 
I'd rather say its better to sell them or give them away than destroy and waste them entirely. Even old stuff can be used for parts or cleaned up for repainting. Heck there's loads of bits-box sales on ebay now and then and sometimes you can get some key bits that you need for a conversion from them. PEople are more than willing to buy them up for a curious glance through at the contents. Sure you don't get much, but at least you get something and you get to know others are making use of stuff rather than just letting it go to waste. 

@TheWilddog that's a mega clearout indeed and you must indeed feel so much better for doing it. Hobby stress is a real thing and because it can take hours to get models ready its ever so easy to buy more than one can finish or to get a huge backlog that can sap enthusiasm for continuing and getting meaningful progress. 
I've heard of some people who have whole rooms full of unbuilt boxes and I think that, yeah you're taking a loss to sell it, but darn it sell some and clear that backlog and get control back over the hobby. 

And yeah even built stuff of armies you're never going to get around to finish or play with can be good to get rid of too. I know I've started to slowly try and clear out my backlog of stuff that's just gathering dust. 

46 minutes ago, Overread said:

@TheWilddog that's a mega clearout indeed and you must indeed feel so much better for doing it. Hobby stress is a real thing and because it can take hours to get models ready its ever so easy to buy more than one can finish or to get a huge backlog that can sap enthusiasm for continuing and getting meaningful progress. 
I've heard of some people who have whole rooms full of unbuilt boxes and I think that, yeah you're taking a loss to sell it, but darn it sell some and clear that backlog and get control back over the hobby. 

And yeah even built stuff of armies you're never going to get around to finish or play with can be good to get rid of too. I know I've started to slowly try and clear out my backlog of stuff that's just gathering dust. 

Yea I can not stress enough how much this has reenergized my hobby.  My hobby juices are flowing again.  Before I was just having so much trouble focusing on all the bare plastic and the unfinished projects.  Now I have only two projects to focus on and can see making real progress on them.  Looking forward to this hobby year! 

38 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

Yea I can not stress enough how much this has reenergized my hobby.  My hobby juices are flowing again.  Before I was just having so much trouble focusing on all the bare plastic and the unfinished projects.  Now I have only two projects to focus on and can see making real progress on them.  Looking forward to this hobby year! 

Can’t agree more with this post and the one it quotes. I know someone who did indeed have a literal room of nothing but gaming stuff......which sat in boxes for years before he had to start selling it off.

once I broke the need to hang onto things “just in case” I get a lot more productive and my general hobby went up as a result

I just look at it as a lifetime goal.  I build everything immediately so I can play with it (most of my matches these days are vs family or friends who don't have their own armies so we keep it simple) and then I paint whatever I want whenever I feel like it.  This has resulted in many well-painted models!  Just...spread out over 8 factions so it's not always the best looking on the table,  YET!  Whenever I play and I see a little more color on the field it motivates me to add some more so that the next game will be that much better looking. And I have more emotional attachment to my painted guys, so they become defacto heroes of their company, being removed last whenever possible!

I have so many unpainted models that I truly believe it will take over 10 years to accomplish, even with my painting a bit nearly every day, therefore I don't stress or worry about it.  There's calm in knowing and accepting it can never be done ;) 

On 1/3/2019 at 10:47 PM, Charles said:

Great job man, that must feel a million times better. I am strict with my purchasing so I don’t get into that situation because it’s so easy to do.

I also helped myself get stuff painted by refusing to play with unpainted miniatures and giving up video games.

Are you me? 

Always purging the collection at least 3 or 4 times a year. 

It is cathartic in a way but also frightening as to how much stuff I actually have!

Due to do a purge in the next week or so and will be trimming systems, models for systems etc and having a set plan going forward.

I have given up on 40k essentially and scaled back to Kill Team level.  Games are shorter and IMO more intense.

I have scaled back AoS to just one army now - Dispossessed.

I am deep into Blood Bowl and collect every team.  When I paint them I paint the full team in one go, keeps the paint cohesive and they are then ready to hit the table.

I have Necromunda and every gang released so far (the main 6) built but not painted.  I also haven't played the game yet but it is on my bucket list for 2019!

Add dashings of Dreadball and Zombicide into the mix and that will be my hobby year(s) going forward.  Everything else will be cut (which at present includes Stormcasts, Orks, Malifaux and a hefty Menoth force for Warmachine).

Archived