Mitzy's Destruction Army The Meatmen of Mitzmanheim

Mitzy

Hey @@Mitzy, just wanted to thank you again for the armor scheme it's great. I figured out I went a little heavy with the black on the first batch, and I should be doing just a thin coat (why else use airbrush paint, duh Dez!) and let the washes do the work. I'll put some pics up later for WIP Wednesday.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Great suggestion @Dez - I completely overlooked that. Would fit in with the whole issue of having to paint extra stuff a bit better too.

It's so tough though, Ironfist is so worth it!

On 26 July 2016 at 11:35 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

Hey @Mitzy,

I agree with @Dotification and @ChippyRick - this army is look great and has some real character.

Now unfortunately, I don't have my books to hand or anything, but I think you might have a bit of an illegal list there brother :( 

If I remember correctly you need 3-5 units to form an Ironfist and you only have two there with the Brutes and Ardboyz (the 3 Gore-gruntas are required to complete the Gorefist).

If I am right (it may just be that I've always used 3+ myself), a simple fix is to downgrade Gordrakk to a regular Cabbage freeing up 180 points for another Battleline unit of your choosing to fill out the Ironfist.

For your sakes, I hope I'm wrong!!

Chris

Yup you are indeed correct mate, I'm completely illegal with the above! So looks like I'll be running just 5 brutes and the Ardboyz and adding the second weirdnob to round out at 2k.

I guess the second will give me the option to cast both ms and ab which will probably be helpful in any case!

Thanks @Chris Tomlin

On 26 July 2016 at 10:17 AM, ChippyRick said:

Army is looking awesome Mitsy. Look forward to seeing Ironjawz progress.

Love the Idol conversion, the additions add lots of character to the model.

Cheers @ChippyRick I really appreciate the positive feedback!

3 hours ago, Dez said:

Hey @@Mitzy, just wanted to thank you again for the armor scheme it's great. I figured out I went a little heavy with the black on the first batch, and I should be doing just a thin coat (why else use airbrush paint, duh Dez!) and let the washes do the work. I'll put some pics up later for WIP Wednesday.

@Dezyou are most welcome, I'm glad you figured it out, it's so simple but works so well in a destruction unit. And thanks for the weirdnob suggestion, that's a definite!

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Ha...yeh... @Mitzy is going to have to weigh the balance of army power with painting time haha!!

No such weighing to do mate, I will be keeping Gordrakk and setting about getting the 1 unit of brutes done to my best standard for #alliance but mark my words, the brutes and the Ironfist will make their mark soon!!!

On 26 July 2016 at 8:15 AM, Dotification said:

Hi Mitzy, big fan of your work here.

Anymore tips you'd like to dole out, especially for painting colors like turquoise (armor or fur), dat yellow armor, and orc-flesh?  

I envy folks that get to play that striking army--I assume you're over in merry ol' England??  I figure it would be harder to steal your thunder from way over in Minneapolis, MN, & I'm a beginning painter desperately looking for inspiration, & advice as painting still intimidates me.  

(Edited for clarity)

Hey @Dotification thanks for the message, I'm thrilled that my army is inspiring hobbyists out there... I'm a painter who tries to mix up my techniques on each army I tackle. With the Orruks I have tried to apply a speedier technique to the army concentrating on how they look from 2-3' away. They aren't the prettiest up close but on a battlefield they really stand out in my opinion.

The technique for the yellow armour is simple. I'll do you a step by step guide this evening. I'm just off for dinner so bear with me... Back soon!

Ok, so @Dotification has asked how I paint up the strong colours for this army, the truth is I'm really quite rough and ready when it comes to these Boyz.

I always start with a base coat, in this case let's talk about the yellow armour plates on the shoulders of one of the Orruk Brutes. The first thing I do is apply a heavily watered down coat of GW Yriel Yellow over the top of a white undercoat (you will see the airbrushed green skin tone showing through the yellow, so I apply as many watered down coats of the yellow as necessary to get a good solid colour).

image.jpeg

Once the Agrax Earthshade has dried I very roughly paint in the areas of the plate armour with Yriel Yellow ensuring I leave some of the Agrax showing through on the edges almost like the armour is old and rusty and the Orruks beat it in to shape and then slapped some paint over it.

image.jpeg

I then add Citadel Colour Elf Grey (from the 1990's but any pale grey will do) to the Yriel Yellow and begin to highlight up the yellow areas making sure to leave the rusty plate edges showing through.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Once the highlighting is complete I add chipping/scratches using GW Leadbelcher, this is literally brushed on using the finest tip of my brush to look like swords have whacked in to the plates.

And that's it, I use the same technique to achieve the Turquoise colour but for this I take the highlights up to almost pure Elf Grey, which really makes the colour pop and look great when in game on the tabletop.

I hope that you have found this helpful, if you want to know how I produce any other finishes please post a comment below, I'm happy to help.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks a bunch, Mitzy! Your painting style here reflects their blacksmithing & painting processes well.

When you have time, would you mind walking me thru the steps (& paints) for the turquoise???  If the technique is the same then I wouldn't need pics (especially if they slow you down), just what paint for each layer & the overall sequence.

6 hours ago, Dotification said:

Thanks a bunch, Mitzy! Your painting style here reflects their blacksmithing & painting processes well.

When you have time, would you mind walking me thru the steps (& paints) for the turquoise???  If the technique is the same then I wouldn't need pics (especially if they slow you down), just what paint for each layer & the overall sequence.

Ok so here goes for the pig fur. I use Vallejo Game Colour 72.024 Turquoise, Citadel Colour Elf Grey and Agrax Earthshade.

image.jpg

Then once the wash is dry (usually I leave the wash overnight as I really do bath all my minis in it). I go in with pure Turquoise literally painting each strand of hair. This leaves the Agrax in the recesses and lifts the hairs from the body.

image.jpeg

Now once this initial (very tedious process) is finished I start to add Elf Grey to the turquoise, this isn't scientific. If I have a couple of brush fulls of turquoise on my pallet I'll add half a brush full of Elf Grey. Basically I'm looking for several stages of different shades of turquoise.

image.jpeg

I continue to add Elf Grey to lighten the turquoise and on each pass I pick out individual strands of fur. I try to randomly pick out the strands so as to not form any uniform patterns. I want the fur to look like it is many different shades. This will all add to how striking they are on the battlefield and it really pops from a distance away which is what I'm aiming for. I really want people to stop and notice the units from a distance as they pass the table. This hopefully will intise the in for a closer look!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I end up with a final pass of pure Elf Grey and again pick out select strands of fur. And that as they say is that. It is quite time consuming but the rest of the paint job is very fast so you can afford to spend a bit more time making the pigs the stand out guys here.

I hope that helps @Dotification any more questions just shout.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mitzy, you're the best!  I figured I'm not the only painter interested in turquoise-furred boars/gore-gruntas, & hopefully your posts will be super helpful for them as well.

Question, have you considered purple, instead of red, as an accent color, like for the flag stripes??  Or would that be too many cooler colors??

13 hours ago, Dotification said:

Mitzy, you're the best!  I figured I'm not the only painter interested in turquoise-furred boars/gore-gruntas, & hopefully your posts will be super helpful for them as well.

Question, have you considered purple, instead of red, as an accent color, like for the flag stripes??  Or would that be too many cooler colors??

No problem, I hope to see a few work in progress shots soon! Regarding the red accent colour, it features across my Ogre army so it's here to stay :)

The long hard slog is over... I'm the very proud father of 9 Blue Big Boars (aka the Gore Gruntas). I think that it has definitely been worth the late nights, and early starts. Fortunately I've had a week off work and managed to take my pigs and paints away with me otherwise I'm not sure that I'd have finished these Boyz in time for alliance on Sunday.

Anyone planning on painting these great minis up take my advise, DON'T plumb for my technique above... They very nearly broke me, all that turquoise fur, all those individual highlights. Man they took forever, if I had my time again I'd be reaching for the drybrush!

Still, I'm super pleased with how they came out and with five days to go until I drive to Derby for Alliance I have but a mere 5 Brutes to do. "Easy" I hear you cry :)

Time will tell...

Anyway, without further ado, here are the 9 Gore Gruntas in all their glory!

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Archived