Help with Free Guild

Crossbowman

Hey, 

i´m new at AOS and i´m gonna start a Free Guild army.  i know they´re not very competitve and maybe i cant win tournaments with them, but i´ll try - haha. 

i wanna start with 1000 points to lern the rules and get a feeling about the output etc.  and in january  go to a small local 1000 point tournament :D  

so i need your help guys, my current list is :

General on Horse

30 Guards with Sword and Shield

30 Crossbowmen

10 Handgunners

-> 740 Points, so 260 left for something.  any advices? what do i need?  i hope someone can give me some general tips and shenanigans for the freeguild.   is it possible to win against maximized other lists?

As @kenshin620 says, an Allied Wizard could be helpful to keep up with magic from other armies, but I personally would go with a Freeguild General on Griffon. With a Hammer and Shield, along with Indomitable Command Trait, Armor of Metioric Iron, and the Hold the Line Command Ability from your General on Horse this guy can be an invincible killing machine. He's also highly mobile, super cool looking, and will be awesome for when you get some Demigryphs in a 2k list. And it's always cool to have a centerpiece model for your army!

Remember to keep your Great Company together and choose wisely when to use Hold the Line. Free People can have a hard time snagging objectives because they work best when they stand still, so taking opportunities to move when you can are important.  If your General on Horse takes Indomitable command trait and is your General, he really does made the Freeguild Guard very hard to kill and it punishes enemies harshly for trying to charge them while your Great Company is protecting them. The biggest weakness is Mortal Wounds and a lack of mobility. At 2k you can add a Luminark of Hysh for mortal wound protection, magic, and good shooting, and then some Demigryphs to keep up with your Griffon while still expanding a Great Company or making a second one with Greatswords.

Free People are really cool and can definitely throw opponents off balance with the Great Company abilities, Hold the Line, and shooting so exploit them to the max!

Sounds good :D 

i can add a Knight Incantor (140)  and a endless spell. maybe the everblaze comet?  is it worth to pay 100 points for the comet?

so i have not much mobility, but a sweet little kind of phalanx supported by a comet throwing space marine wizard :D 

You need a wizard for sure. Worst case casting mystic shield on handgunners to protect them into range.

I've had no luck with demigryphs, particularly with a stand and shoot army as they tend to get isolated from the rest of the army on a big board. 

Handgunners in units of 10 are pointless as they're your rend dealers and you want to buff them as much as possible. A base 5+ to hit is terrible. Definitely go for minimum 20.

45 minutes ago, Saxon said:

You need a wizard for sure. Worst case casting mystic shield on handgunners to protect them into range.

I've had no luck with demigryphs, particularly with a stand and shoot army as they tend to get isolated from the rest of the army on a big board. 

Handgunners in units of 10 are pointless as they're your rend dealers and you want to buff them as much as possible. A base 5+ to hit is terrible. Definitely go for minimum 20.

I only have 40 models, cause they were out of stock. I have 2 friends which are playing Nighthaunt, so rend is not that much needed :D but ill get 10 asap. 

Is the Incantor with comet worth to take? Or should i go a cheaper version without endless spell and more bodys?

19 minutes ago, Crossbowman said:

I only have 40 models, cause they were out of stock. I have 2 friends which are playing Nighthaunt, so rend is not that much needed :D but ill get 10 asap. 

Is the Incantor with comet worth to take? Or should i go a cheaper version without endless spell and more bodys?

If you havent yet built them and you're likely to go up against night haunt, maybe build the crossbowmen instead of handgunners. They have a better to hit at 4+ base and in 20 model units makes 2 shots instead of 1. They also slightly out range the handgunners.

So 2x 20 Crossbow instead of 30 + 10 Handgunners? Mhm okay. On paper i like the Handgunner Champion. A little sniper for characters etc 

what i saw was an angel like stormcast which gives +1 to hit for enemys when he flys over them or something like that. Do you know what i mean? :D 

Crossbows are probably the better choice in 30s at the moment. 

Personally i dislike 20s as all it takes is one casualty to remove your bonus. 

In 10s, i think both handgunners and archers have a place although i think you need to have pretty good idea what you're going to be doing with units that small. 

On 11/18/2018 at 3:14 PM, Crossbowman said:

So 2x 20 Crossbow instead of 30 + 10 Handgunners? Mhm okay. On paper i like the Handgunner Champion. A little sniper for characters etc 

what i saw was an angel like stormcast which gives +1 to hit for enemys when he flys over them or something like that. Do you know what i mean? :D 

Angel guy is called Knight Azyros and he allowes to reroll 1s to hit against enemy units within 10".
The one who needs to fly over is Lord Arcanum on Tauralon and he buffs only SCE, if you want +1 to hit - you want to look at celestial hurricanum.

16 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Crossbows are probably the better choice in 30s at the moment. 

Personally i dislike 20s as all it takes is one casualty to remove your bonus. 

In 10s, i think both handgunners and archers have a place although i think you need to have pretty good idea what you're going to be doing with units that small. 

True but better range and natural to hit.

handgunners would only be a good option in a small unit if you really want to use those long rifles.

On 11/18/2018 at 12:28 AM, Crossbowman said:

-> 740 Points, so 260 left for something.  any advices? what do i need?  i hope someone can give me some general tips and shenanigans for the freeguild.   is it possible to win against maximized other lists? 

The problem in this list is that you have to keep all your units together to unfold their full potential. But in the missions out there you often need to hold several objectives. I would add 10 archers to have a move once before the battle and another 20 guards with shields to sit on objectives. You could even take 10 guards from the 30s block and form a second great company. By this you can be offensive and still have something in your backline to prevent drops or hold objectives.

In a 1000 point list i wouldn`t care too much about magical defence. The opponent wouldn`t have much and you have enough bodys to just take some mortal wounds without loosing much of your punch. 105 wounds with 1000 points in fact. But it`s also much bodys to paint :D

EDIT:
After some thoughts i`d switch the 10 archers for a Knight Azyros. The rerolling ones plus the mobility is way better if used well. :)

11 hours ago, Stulle said:

The problem in this list is that you have to keep all your units together to unfold their full potential. But in the missions out there you often need to hold several objectives. I would add 10 archers to have a move once before the battle and another 20 guards with shields to sit on objectives. You could even take 10 guards from the 30s block and form a second great company. By this you can be offensive and still have something in your backline to prevent drops or hold objectives.

In a 1000 point list i wouldn`t care too much about magical defence. The opponent wouldn`t have much and you have enough bodys to just take some mortal wounds without loosing much of your punch. 105 wounds with 1000 points in fact. But it`s also much bodys to paint :D

EDIT:
After some thoughts i`d switch the 10 archers for a Knight Azyros. The rerolling ones plus the mobility is way better if used well. :)

Unless you're up against nurgle with rotigus and bload casting plague squall and deluge of nurgle. Had that on the weekend and got smashed even with a single caster.

Archived