Handling SCE Paladins

Akempist

So I keep getting my can kicked by paladins (Retributors, Decimators, etc.) esp. with 2 of them holding starsoul maces.  I'm sure this question has been asked before, but for a generic Chaos army of any sort - what have you all found to be the most effective counters to Paladins?

Right now my options are:
1.  Run away.
2.  Throw a hoard of cheap something at them to tie them down for a couple rounds.  But even chunking a block of 20 Marauders at them are 120 points for 2-3 combat rounds of delay.  Hardly seems worth it.

2 hours ago, Akempist said:

So I keep getting my can kicked by paladins (Retributors, Decimators, etc.) esp. with 2 of them holding starsoul maces.  I'm sure this question has been asked before, but for a generic Chaos army of any sort - what have you all found to be the most effective counters to Paladins?

Right now my options are:
1.  Run away.
2.  Throw a hoard of cheap something at them to tie them down for a couple rounds.  But even chunking a block of 20 Marauders at them are 120 points for 2-3 combat rounds of delay.  Hardly seems worth it.

Kill-burn stormthings, yes-Yes.

as a skaven player I find throwing some cheap horde units (like clanrats)to keep them in combat and next burn those paladins with at least 2warpfire throwers, to work perfectly.

usually it’s very hard for those paladins to kill 40Clanrats outright, more so if those guys even are immune to battleshock.

the problem with your horde unit than again is, that you wont crack that heavy Armour open, and so you’ll need some kind of a support heavy mortal wound spamming unit.

i find that warpfire thrower weapon team work perfectly with my clanrats.

As long as the enemy has no high range shooting your warpfire throwers will be save, and this tactic can and will work.

Wow.

You rat-things got some pop.  I hadn't taken seriously much of the vermin units but now that I look...

Skryre Acolytes are 5 for 60pts and can lob -2 rend, D3 damage bombs at 9" - hitting 25%.

Warpfire thrower at 70pts.  8" D3 mortal auto wounds.

Jezzails are hitting 33% of their shots at 30" -2 rend, 2 damage.  Expensive though (in both ways).

...and here is Island of Blood just sitting on my shelf gathering dust....  

Thanks for the tip!

9 hours ago, Akempist said:

Wow.

You rat-things got some pop.  I hadn't taken seriously much of the vermin units but now that I look...

Skryre Acolytes are 5 for 60pts and can lob -2 rend, D3 damage bombs at 9" - hitting 25%.

Warpfire thrower at 70pts.  8" D3 mortal auto wounds.

Jezzails are hitting 33% of their shots at 30" -2 rend, 2 damage.  Expensive though (in both ways).

...and here is Island of Blood just sitting on my shelf gathering dust....  

Thanks for the tip!

Well   warpfire throwers do d6 mortal if you overheat them. 

Electroshock gauntlet stormfiends with packmaster or two
Turned my paladins into red mist many, many times when I played against my buddy's mixed skaven.
Also it depends on how heavily buffed their armor saves, because when they are running around in 4+ anything with decent amount non-rending atacks will inflict heavy casualties on them. 
And when you deal with buffed up paladins, take a skaven warlock engeneer and spam his big lightning d6 mortal wound spell on castellant/staunch defender general. Gemenids of Uhl-Gysh might be worth taking a look on, as they have damage+debuffs.
Anyway it really depends on the list, if paladins are the main hard-hitters - just try to charge them with yours, obliterate, go for heroes - win.

I will also echo the effectiveness of Clan Skryre units. Stormfiends with most loadouts, warpfire teams, acolytes, and lightning cannons are all powerful.  Very useful to kill-kill man things.  Don't forget the Arch Warlock and the Warlock Engineers as well, their exclusive powers are quite good.

paladins have 15 wounds and a 4+ save without reroll for 200 pts

as soon as you bring rend and mortal wounds, they drop quite fast.

they are very slow (4 move lol) so you can avoid them if necessary

and praise the dark gods that your opponents play paladins and not evocators

Archived