Can I keep my entire Brayherd army off the board to ambush?

The_Yellow_Sign

Question

The Brayherd allegiance ability allows me to keep my models off the board in ambush until my first movement phase.  I thought that I could use this to keep my entire army in reserve, but a friend of mine said that I would automatically lose the game if I did this, because I would have no models on the board. Alternatively, if I deploy say just my general and keep the rest in reserve for ambush, and then my opponent gets first turn and kills my general, my friend said that I would lose.

Is he correct?  I couldn't find any rules about this.

11 answers to this question

59 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

The Brayherd allegiance ability allows me to keep my models off the board in ambush until my first movement phase.  I thought that I could use this to keep my entire army in reserve, but a friend of mine said that I would automatically lose the game if I did this, because I would have no models on the board. Alternatively, if I deploy say just my general and keep the rest in reserve for ambush, and then my opponent gets first turn and kills my general, my friend said that I would lose.

If it isn’t somewhere otherwise stated you can literally keep your whole army In reserve.

and you wouldn’t lose automatically, since there is no known rule in aos that’s says something like this. In other words your idea is totally legal

ps: if somebody managed to destroy the enemy army fully, still doesn’t mean that he won. If the enemy had more points than you, at the end of the game (after 5-6 rounds) you still will loose in aos 

3 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

If it isn’t somewhere otherwise stated you can literally keep your whole army In reserve.

and you wouldn’t lose automatically, since there is no known rule in aos that’s says something like this. In other words your idea is totally legal

OK sweet. Maybe he's thinking of a Warhammer 40K rule or something? He's more experienced with 40K than AoS.

I can't find it but some of the rules in the book are not laid out in a very logical fashion and some bits are in odd places (eg Endless Spell page has no mention of any limits on how many you can take - that is in the army building section of matched play; whilst Terrain has almost nothing but does have a longer segment in open play).  

I have a strong recollection that there is a rule which says if you have nothing on the table you lose - it might be that its mentioned on most of the battleplans instead of the rules themselves (With GW's expectation that you will be using the battleplans).

13 minutes ago, Overread said:

I can't find it but some of the rules in the book are not laid out in a very logical fashion and some bits are in odd places (eg Endless Spell page has no mention of any limits on how many you can take - that is in the army building section of matched play; whilst Terrain has almost nothing but does have a longer segment in open play).  

I have a strong recollection that there is a rule which says if you have nothing on the table you lose - it might be that its mentioned on most of the battleplans instead of the rules themselves (With GW's expectation that you will be using the battleplans).

Well I just when through the whole matched battle plan and rules.

but the only thing I was this.

in other words it should be legal.

at least right now  

75683BE4-D688-47BE-9189-8983D1D82626.png

1 hour ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

I am sure you can possibly not wise. as for losing all match play games are won or lost on points not kills unless its a draw on points

TLDR - yes, you can put your whole army in reserve.

Nothingin core rules says you lose automatically.

Whether you win or lose is determined by victory conditions of the battleplan.

None of the matched play battleplans in GHB18 have any victory conditions related to "tabling".

(As an aside, there is a distinction between "unit set up elsewhere" as is the case with Ambush and "units that don't exist yet" such as summoning etc.)

15 minutes ago, TheWolfLord said:

The basic battleplan First Blood is the only one I can think of that ends the game is one player has no units on the table. As the first battleplan he’s likely to have read in the rules he may be thinking of that and assuming most are the same.

Could be but also since fantasy and 40K have nearly always in the past required you to have models on the table to start the game and keep them on the table to avoid an auto-lose; its very easy that the thinking just got brought over. There are lots of cases of this due to edition changes and how similar the rules and wording of the rules between the games are (esp now)

Thinking back to AoS1, there was a situation where if your entire army was one Ghoul Patrol battalion, you didn't even have a choice, you were required to start the entire battalion off the table (they've replaced "must" with "may" in recent errata so it's not a requirement now, but it's still a possibility).

Archived