Tournament Win, Nagash v Nagash thoughts

ianob

13 hours ago, LordDrakonus said:

what do you think of this list

I‘d switch pinions and transference between Nagash and the vamp, to ensure he can heal himself.

then I would turn one skelli block into 2x10 wolves ( the 40 points, not sure vortex?!) to get more speed into your list

not sure about the quicksilver swords

and as usual, try it out, had a blast with a Nagash list, but you have to be aggressive with him and with the number of drops, a doubleturn might really hurt...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, LordDrakonus said:

I really want to do a nagash list after I finish my nighthaunts, I've been following this thread, @ianob /anybody else what do you think of this list

2000 Grand Host of Nagash

1 Command points
6 drops

Battalions/Endless Spells
Umbral Spellportal 60

Aethervoid Pendulum 40

Quicksilver Swords 20

Heros
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead 800
(AMETHYSTINE PINIONS/OVERWHELMING DREAD/AMARANTHINE ORB)

Necromancer 110
(FADING VIGOUR)

Vampire Lord 140
(FLYING HORROR/VILE TRANSFERENCE/Terrorgheist Mantle)

Battleline
40 Skeleton Warriors 280
(Ancient Spear)

40 Skeleton Warriors 280
(Ancient Spear)

2 Morghast Archai 220

Army total 1950

This is fine. Two big units makes it better than most Nagash lists people randomly throw together imho. It's a fine list and you'd do well with it.

That said, the game has moved on from 80 spear skeletons. Chainrasps and Grimghasts are potentially better options than a second unit of Skeletons. Dire Wolves are so efficient that they really help points-starved Nagash get some group back. Morghasts aren't really great for their points. So I think it can be better (unless you're really into buying and painting 80 skellies or already have them!)

Yup. I think it’s still useful

also serves to give your opponent something to think about during deployment. Also if someone sets up some big models in a line ready to charge you (line a line of gore gruntas). A hand of dust in the middle of the line instantly kills half the unit thanks to new rules. 

So am I correct in saying, in terms of healing units:

nagash can heal 5

necromancer heals 2

vsmpire lord heals 3

gravesites can heal 1 and legions innumerable 1 on a 5+

and you can pick the same unit multiple times?

and edited my list

nagash, necro, vamp lord

40 skellies

30 grimghast reapers

5 dire wolves x2

spell portal and cogs and quicksilver

1 CP extra

9 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

nagash can heal 5

necromancer heals 2

vsmpire lord heals 3

and edited my list

nagash, necro, vamp lord

40 skellies

30 grimghast reapers

5 dire wolves x2

spell portal and cogs and quicksilver

1 CP extra

nagash - 800

necromancer - 110

vampire lord - 140

40 skellies - 280

20 chainrasp 160

5 direwolves 60

30 grimghast 360

=1910

7 drops

Pendulum /shackles + cp = 90/70

Because the more I think about it, grims are finally a good summonable hammer. I've had bad luck with black knights 

13 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

nagash can heal 5

necromancer heals 2

vsmpire lord heals 3

Yes you are! but remember, each healer can only select to heal a unit once.

So Nagash can heal 5 different units. 

Necromancer can heal 2 different ones(those could be the same ones that have been healed by Nagash)

so you could have one unit get hit by all 3 of your heroes and all 4 of your gravesites. 7 D3 back into a unit is nothing to sneeze at. 

10 minutes ago, TristanGray said:

Yes you are! but remember, each healer can only select to heal a unit once.

So Nagash can heal 5 different units. 

Necromancer can heal 2 different ones(those could be the same ones that have been healed by Nagash)

so you could have one unit get hit by all 3 of your heroes and all 4 of your gravesites. 7 D3 back into a unit is nothing to sneeze at. 

One of the overlooked powers of GHN and Nagash (often by my opponents) is how much healing they bring to the table.

19 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

One of the overlooked powers of GHN and Nagash (often by my opponents) is how much healing they bring to the table.

The look on their face when you put back 13+ models is A++. I think it’s almost perfectly balanced on the edge of Feels Bad™️

1 hour ago, TristanGray said:

The look on their face when you put back 13+ models is A++. I think it’s almost perfectly balanced on the edge of Feels Bad™️

I played a game recently and had Ossific Diadem on my necromancer and my skeletons stretched out to also get the new mystical terrain buff while they held an objective.

My opponent went all in to kill them and after a double turn had them nearly dead and my line broken to charge into my squishy, spell casting backline. 

When my regen kicked in the following turn, I watched the lights literally go out in his eyes. It's the most evil I've ever felt playing this game.

PS: this is often why I refer to my army as Mr. Bones' Wild Ride. It never ends.......

5 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

I’d be careful about stretching too far these days. Anything that breaks your line >1” means one side of the line will disappear!

Eh, it was just a little pigtail of about 6 skeletons. I wasn't too worried about it. It was a standard risk/reward assessment against an opponent that lacked an abundance of targeted model damage.

Hmmm... thinking a bit on Nagash lists in a league I'm at.

Most concerned with dealing with new Stormcast, Daughters of Khaine, and a really durable Tallyband of Nurgle.

I know the Daughters have Morathi + Cauldron... but no Witch Aelves.

The new auto-unbind for Stormcast seems to be good for shutting down Nagash.

And I'm not sure how to usually respond to Nurgle.

My list so far is the First Cohort with 4 Morghast Archai. Should I make room for Endless Spells? The threat of a single Portal Hand of Dust is nice but that would usually mean them staying away to shoot better.

What's our answer to such armies? Allied Nighthaunt? Remove the First Cohort entirely?

Well, haven’t played against Newcast or fetish people yet. 

But against Nurgle it‘s tough to block objectives and enter the grind to your conditions. So I think the palisades are interesting to block off a flank. And with the new summoning rules, suddenly we are not oppressing in the late game anymore. Before we could keep our units at strength, while everybody else dwindled, now, a friend of mine ends up with 3 trees on the table, racking up points and running and charging a lot. Then summoning in 20 plaquebearers or something else. 

So Area Denial and fast aggressive playstyle I guess. Bind the 30 beares early not scoring and hit the heros fast and hard 

Ok lads this it I think I pinned the list down

2000 Grand Host of Nagash

1 Command points
8 drops

Battalions/Endless Spells
Umbral Spellportal 60

Aethervoid Pendulum 40

Heros
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead 800
(VILE TRANSFERENCE/OVERWHELMING DREAD/AMARANTHINE ORB)

Necromancer 110
(FADING VIGOUR)

Vampire Lord 140
(FLYING HORROR/AMETHYSTINE PINIONS/Terrorgheist Mantle)

Battleline
40 Skeleton Warriors 280
(Ancient Spear)

10 Dire Wolves 120

10 Dire Wolves 120

Other
10 Grimghast Reapers 140

10 Grimghast Reapers 140

Army total 1950

Archived