Pirates of The Coast of Tusks (Update July 16)

brettfp

"Sailing the seas of Ghur for the glory of Khorne!!"

Hi everyone, this is my first post here!

I've been playing 40k for a few years now and with the new edition of AoS I figured now's a good time to get involved with the other side of warhammer.

My idea is one I've had for ages. PIRATES! specifically Khorne pirates! It's basically gonna be a bunch of blood reavers and fish-ified bloodletters :) As with all my armies, this will be conversion heavy, with no 2 identical models.

Still need to come up with a name for the crew and the captain, unfortunately the only thing I can think of is 'Captain Bloodbeard' which is a bit cheesy.

A few months ago my friend was selling a bunch of models for the early 2000's cheap so I snapped them up, ended up with a whole bunch of chaos maraurders and empire, So i made a start on some of the lower ranked crew members

YBW2F8w.jpg

These guys will just be Khorne alligned chaos marauders.  These were test models, the rest have been stripped (as best I can) and should be making more tomorrow!

Thoughts?

Looking good so far, will be interesting to see what you come up with. There are some great nautical themed threads further down aswell for you to pull inspiration from (I think both are death but still it works :P ) Any plans on using the broken ship from the Idoneth in conversions?

Looking good!

6 hours ago, brettfp said:

Still need to come up with a name for the crew and the captain, unfortunately the only thing I can think of is 'Captain Bloodbeard' which is a bit cheesy.

Well your units are called blood reavers and bloodletters so.... a little cheesyness is to be expected ;) 

Ok, So I had a productive day and now have a unit of ten built :)

FnPydIF.jpg

ni1cOfj.jpg

Chieftain

8BwNkkX.jpg

I know the stripping isn't the best but it'll do, really happy with these guys.

I wanna go for a more 'realistic' barbarian pirate look, rather than a costume-y style. I've seen people do that with orks, which works perfectly, but not so much for chaos, so there wont really be any peg legs, stripey pants or captain hook hats.

Figured I'd put up a list of the conversions I have planned.

• Gareks Reavers. They will be higher ranked pirates, most likely the captain retinue.
  • The Captain will be a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut, but his mount will be the mount from Akhelian King
  • Quartermaster Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (his name needs work)
  • Mer-monster Bloodletters. Think bloodletters mixed with the crew of The Flying Dutchman in Pirates of the Carribean, All barnacle face etc.
  • Some kind of Large Fish Skull Cannon.

Unfortunately I'm not working at the moment so once I've finished the marauders I probably wont be able to afford new models for a while, unless I get a job soon. (fingers crossed)

Thoughts?

22 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

Looking good so far, will be interesting to see what you come up with. There are some great nautical themed threads further down aswell for you to pull inspiration from (I think both are death but still it works :P ) Any plans on using the broken ship from the Idoneth in conversions?

Thanks. Yeah I mean i can't not use it. The only thing I can think ofusing it as  is maybe a chaos warshrine.

15 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Captain Gorebeard, Captain Goretusk, Captain Keelgore, O Captain My Captain... just a couple I could come up with.

Yeah, they are all pretty Khorney. Maybe I should just go with Captain Bloodskull Deathgore  :)

Is there a way of using the Idoneth shark as a conversion for your skullcannon, it'd certainly work in converting up a Bloodthrone (you could do awesome things with a bloodletter on it for the champion).

All in all with the most recent releases you have a lot of scope to play with in terms of conversions so its interesting to see what you come up with.

So, I've been thinking about names. I'm thinking that the captain will be  'Captain Gorewulf'

I've also been trying to think of a name for the army as a whole as opposed to just referring to them as 'the crew', for when i get around to writing some background, so far I've narrowed it down to

• The Blood-drinker Brethren
  • The Corsairs of Blood
  • The Brazen Corsairs

I'd love some feedback on the names or even some better suggestions :)

Anyway onto the models, I finished painting some more marauders

U3oNinB.jpg

Really happy with how they came out, I think the banner is the most detail work I've ever done on a model

I also made some more that still need a fair bit of GS work

L17H3ua.jpg

Thoughts?

These are excellent.

I've been listening to the audiobook for Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island recently (free on Librivox which does free audio books of old public domain books) while painting, so I really enjoyed this thread.

Archived