Return of the Tomb Kings

HiveFleetCerberus

Along with, tragically but not unexpectedly, warhammer legends rules.  Maybe now's a good time to ask mengel minis if they'll be updatong their homebrew battletome for 2e, and if so whether they want or need any help with that.

I wish they would also make to order the rest of the units. I would make a huge purchase.

If you think about it, if Tomb Kings were re released with only their resin and plastic kits, it would fare better than a lot of the current lines. Sepucral guard, NecroSphinx and such are really cool models!

Huh... I always did think Khalida was a cool mini. Mid-Nighthaunt and mid-Sacrosanct release waves is the absolute worst time to tempt me with minis I don't actually need and won't use, however, so I'm going to have to pass in favour of Sequitors and Dreadblades I reckon. It is nice to see some of these models again though.

I don't know why you'd think that.  The announcement mentioned that these factions would be seeing forthcoming legends rulesets.  If anything, not getting a legends ruleset would be better for Tomb Kings, because then their current rules would remain in effect.  Rules that, unlike a legends ruleset, work alongside the Death allegiance, and have points values and unit categories to make them legal in pitched battle games.

I very much do expect TK to get the legends treatment in the next couple weeks, and when they do it will be up to community efforts to keep them playable and, more importantly, played for the foreseeable future.  Chaos Dwarfs weathered an apocalypse of this nature and clawed their ways back, Tomb Kings could as well, but it won't be easy.

I thought there would be an "emotional hedge" to this...:

Option 1: No Made to Order, but at least avoid a Legends squatting.

or...

Option 2: Receive a Legends squatting, but at least you get a chance to pick up Necropolis Knights, Ushabti, Necrosphinx, etc.

but no, it seems to be...

Option 3: Receive a Legends squatting, and get offered a couple of character models that are not particularly in demand.

Most people are not starting TK from scratch now, so it is mostly people rounding out their collections. However, everyone with an existing (incomplete) army is likely to have Settra/Khalida already, and is trying to get hold of units. It's not as though anyone is going to need multiple characters.

Sadly, it doesn't seem they can do plastic kits* as made to order, so chariots, sphinxes, and tomb guard were never on the table, but yeah, made to order ushabti would have been nice.  For me especially, as they're near about the only TK models I really want that I was never really able to get my hands on a usable unit of.  It still might happen - we're not seeing the legends ruleset immediately it seems, so if that comes next week, we might see a different set of made to order stuff to go with it.

In the mean time, I might get a settra.  Was going to rig up a conversion from spare mortarch and mortis engine pieces, but some quick conversions to the rider and swapping out the old skittle steeds for hexwraith steeds might do enough for me, and then I could build the engine as a throne or palanquin instead?  I guess it depends on how much they end up charging for settra.

*this seems to have been something of a hard and fast rule to date, yet settra's model has those old plastic skittle horses?  Do they just still have a bunch lying around, or are they making new ones?  And if so, does that open up the possibility of made to order plastics in the future?  I'd personally love to pick up an extra box or two of those plastic tomb guard.

Its nice that they are doing a Tomb King made to order run, but i'd kind of hoped they'd do Ushabti while they were at it. I could do with a few more of them to round out my force. I could also have used an extra catapult, but rereleasing the heroes isn't that helpful for rounding out an existing army.

I might get them anyway, since I suspect the others are more likely to reappear if these are popular, and it might be nice to have have another four horse chariot for my other Tomb King, but it will depend on the price. For that matter, it might be kind of cool to make a Khalida in chariot conversion, so there are possibilities...

They are a little bit smaller, but that's mainly due to the lack of barding. I have some TK horses for my Black Knights, and they work, although they are a little loose. I reckon that hexwraith horses should look ok on the chariot, and if they are a little on the tall side then some creative basing could probably keep everything level.

Archived