Grots as Allies

froo

Hi there,

I'm building a Spiderfang army and am looking at putting some Grots of some form in as allies (basically to utilise the Grot Scuttlings out of Silver Tower)

Right now, my list looks like this.

2 x Grot Big Boss on Gigantic Spider

3 x Arachnarok with Shaman

20 Grot Spider Riders

2 x 5 Grot Spider Riders

and I've budgeted 360 points for bodies for holding objectives (where I think one of the weaknesses of this list is)

My 2 thoughts currently are either 60 Gitmob Grots armed with Bows backed by a Gitmob Grot Shaman OR 60 Moonclan Grots with 9 netters.

I'm just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with pro's and con's for what I'm thinking.

Another thought would be dropping the 2nd Big Boss and going for a 40 unit of Moonclan and bumping each of the 5 man Spider Riders up to 10.

Again, mostly just looking for pro's and con's of the grot mobs for anyone thats used big mobs.

So it depends what you want out of your unit. Defensively the Moonclan are better, the netters make them harder to kill in melee while Moonclan shields+Badmoon Icon make them resistant to shooting. They will be very passive when defending objectives however because of the lack of a ranged attack.

Gitmob Grots on the other hand are significantly more vulnerable to both range and melee but with the sneaky stabbing buff are vicious with their shooting attack. 3+/3+/-1/1 is the same stat line as a Stormcast Judicator. They pay 150 for ~8 shots vs your 270 for 61 shots.

I would definitely not drop your second Grot Big Boss, the CA is so good that you want some redundancy in case one of them dies.

You could also look at adding some endless spells to your army, you have so many casts each turn from just the Arachnaroks that as it stands they are only going to be using half of them. Something like a Prismatic Palisade would go a long way towards improving your survivability on the approach, while an Emerald Lifeswarm would let you heal your Arachnaroks back up.

With that in mind potentially a few smaller units of Moonclan Grots would be the answer for you. With shields and the Badmoon Icon they would do the job of holding objectives as you want and let you hold 2 instead of 1, since a unit can only hold single objective even if they are in range of multiple. This would give you 100 points of float. Sadly you would be a unit short of getting to 12 units total, thus having a 3rd allied unit.

As a complete curve-ball, maybe 2 Rock Lobbers would work instead of the grot units, specifically for defending your own objectives. They won't hold up against stuff being thrown at them but again they will have a much large ability to impact the battle rather than just the scenario. If you were going to do that you would probably have the two smaller units of spiders playing skirmish around the middle of the board so they can drop back and protect against an opponents deepstrike and the like.

Bit more than you asked for but I started rambling, oh well. Hopefully I at least answered your question.

Rock Lobbers work out really well with Spiderfang because you can do some cool conversions with the Flinger into spider themed Rock Lobbers. You always want to take Rock Lobbers in pairs, so if you have at least two Arachnaroks then you also have a cool thematic artillery batallion to bring with you! 

11 minutes ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

Rock Lobbers work out really well with Spiderfang because you can do some cool conversions with the Flinger into spider themed Rock Lobbers. You always want to take Rock Lobbers in pairs, so if you have at least two Arachnaroks then you also have a cool thematic artillery batallion to bring with you! 

****** that's how I should have got the rock lobber kits for conversion. I've been looking around for a while and not got a good answer.

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

****** that's how I should have got the rock lobber kits for conversion. I've been looking around for a while and not got a good answer.

You don't pay attention to all the gibberish that I type then, because I have only mentioned that like a hundred or so times across these forums.  LOL.

You should be able to get the bits for the flinger for pretty cheap on ebay ($5-$8).  Not only is this cheap and effective, but it also visually fits in with a Spiderfang force.

Do you really want to do a Spiderfang list that qualifies for the Allegiance?  Because if you're not totally dedicated to the idea, you could do a Spiderfang-themed Destruction list.  What I mean by that is that all you get from Spiderfang Allegiance is that you can run the Spider Riders as Battleline, but you are talking about allying in a unit or 2 that would qualify as GA Battleline anyway.  It wouldn't be that much of a jump to drop a few more units of spiders and have an all-Grot army with a heavy Spiderfang core (2x Bosses, 3x A-Roks, a block or two of Spider Riders).

That way you would need 3x units of Goblins (probably a big un and 2 little uns), and could fit in the artillery too.  Maybe something like this?

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)

Battleline
60 x Gitmob Grots (270)
- Bows & Slashas
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Spears & Shields
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Spears & Shields

Units
10 x Grot Spider Riders (200)

War Machines
Grot Rock Lobber (100)