Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By itself, no. But with everything, for Sylvaneth, I think it is. Gaining Acorn, alongside Oaken Armour and/or Glamourweave. Plus not being able to retreat from the Ancient. Plus the additional spell for BW and Ancient. 

Think when you 1st consider it Gnarlroot now seems massively over pointed. When you consider it all together, think it's still worth it. 

6 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

have always run my TLA in a dryad bunker. I can count one 1 hand the number of times he's actually had to see combat

Sorry to say but then I think you play the TLA incorrectly. I think I mentioned it early in this topic: I found that in my 1500 points games when the ghb was just released I started with keeping him out of combat. But that meant not using a ton of points (even though it was in a gnarlroot list) completely. Ofcourse he never died then but now I just shove him into combat with something not too dangerous and try to trust in my 2+ rr. He still hardly dies but now has a much greater effect, also keeping him in the front line means his shooting can more often hit support characters which where out of range before.

Not completely using 300 points weakens the army.

I can see your arguments for the TL and Wych list btw, and i m not saying you should chance it...I just think that comparing a TL which does fight with a TLA who doesn't isn't a fair comparison since the latter is not optimally used.

@Lhw

I played against pretty good players (by my consideration some of them were playing with me since 5th WFB edition) and yes they usually use chaff to shield their key models but what makes Dreadwood stronger is more flexibility. 

Right know I have mixed feelings about Dryads and as I am considering dropping them. 

If they bunker their troops somewhere then they are very vulnerable in scenarios with objectives like Starstruck. Also you don't have to alpha strike and can use first turn to bunker on objectives fast and easy Alarielle, Dryads and 6 hunters are pretty tough units to move especially when your opponent was preparing for aloha strike. 

Extra hero in Branchwych gives you more flexibility in hero centric scenarios as well ( and I will consider dropping wych for Wright with briarseath for that scenarios  only but I get to test how important acron) 

I will test other versions ( extra wych or Wright + more spites instead of Dryads and Drycha instead of Dryads and Branchwych) but I guess it will depend on the meta which one of three works best for me. 

I just found many times that just a  threat of alpha striking your opponent gives you great advantages without even choosing to do so. With GH2 Dreadwood got much stronger overall with extra flexibility and ability to be really tricky with it to mess with how your opponent will approach certain games. 

As an example -  played against SCE my opponent was testing this list so for sure it wasn't optimal ( StarDrake, 9 vanguard Raptors, 6 Aether Wings some Battlines chaff, 3 allied mages, one another SCE priest) he bunkered StarDrake and Raptors in the corner shielded them with chaff. Scenario Staratrike. I charged Hunters and Alarielle into his chaff(I rolled for two abilities) and then secured place in the middle with one objectives. Even tough I lost both Alarielle and Hunters in took him 3 turn, both objectives landed away from his bunker I secured them and it was game over. 

6 hours ago, Nico said:

I meant dropping the Kurnoths entirely and using the Druads as the deploy 5" away unit. While not amazing in combat they will be hopefully 60 attacks at 3+, 4+ rerollable (which is decent). Alarielle goes after the more armoured stuff. Probably put the Mystic Shield on the Dryads.

30 dryads, rerolling hits and wounds is about 40 wounds give or take. Which isn't a terrible at all.

My main concern here would be that if your stacking the dryads 2 deep (just fine, since they get a 2" range) that reads your frontage out 15" or so. 15" means you'll likely be fighting 3-4 units across a frontage like that. 40 wounds sounds like a lot, but you can't really concentrate it in one place. Spread out between 3 units means each unit will take 13 wounds or so before saves. If those units are even packing an average save of 5+ that drops the total wound output to 8 wounds per unit (vs. 4 units. 8 vs 3 units) . 

And, again, that's not terrible. 6-8 wounds per unit spread out over 3-4 units is enough to force a couple battleshock causalities, but those units would probably still be at 2/3 strength. I'm not sure the Dryads would fare to terribly well with all the return damage, since they will likely be eating attacks from the 3 units they charged and the 2 units on the edges. Even with 30 bodies, being in combat with 4-5 units likely means the dryads will die in droves, and won't benefit from Alarielle's healing because dryads are single wound models (the original alpha strike had better resilience since Alarielle's healing greatly benefited the hunters). Plus, now the enemy gets a shot at a double turn, and Alarielle will have to eat 2 rounds of magic, shooting and combat. If she wiffs or the enemy has bubble wrapped the important stuff she could be quite vulnerable. 

6 hours ago, Nico said:

I think you will be controlling first turn far more than half the time. Almost no-one is using single drop armies now (except Sylvaneth).

You're probably right. But I'm still wary about putting my eggs all in a single basket.

To be fair, I opted to change the original list because of the changes to the Handbook, not because the original list didn't work. For pure damage, Alarielle + 9 scythe hunters list is far superior to anything else we could field. Alerielle with rerolls puts out about 20 wounds, the 9 hunters with rerolls put out 30 wounds. Plus with Alarielle healing/shielding the hunters they should be fairly survivable. But it doesn't have an easy solution for hordes, and it's not super capable of defending or prying defenders off objectives. It's also hero-lite, which means it would struggle with scenarios that require heroes to cover objectives. 

The modified list is still capable of dropping ~24 wounds (half with rend -2, half with rend -1) in a very concentrated space, while still easily covering objectives. That's more wounds per unit after saves than Dryads are capable of producing, and the dryads are free to sit on objectives in this version. In the Alarielle version of the list above, you essentially are using your defensive bunker offensively, which means it can't control mid-field objectives. Lists that can deepstrike or move units (like lightning striking stormcast, or Sayal +30 Chaos warriors) won't be bothered by dryads on the front lines since they can just weather the attacks and move over them. I'm afraid the list hits alright, but it's shallow. The modified version means the enemy will have to clear the hunters/drycha before he can even attempt to shift the dryads off the objective. Plus in this version I still have the Treelord/ spites combo capable of moving up and capturing secondary/tertiary objectives while my opponent tries to figure out what to do with drycha/hunters.

Furthermore, if the opponent null deploys/bubblewraps in such a way that I don't have access to anything juicy, I can force him to take the first turn, still swipe the objective and dare him to try and take one of the others and risk a hard counter-charge from the hunters/drycha/treelord. Drycha is perfectly capable of clearing out hordes, and supported by hunters, high-armor targets won't be a problem. Treelord is there for monster-killing and spites as chaff. The Alarielle list has more up-front killing power but's isn't anywhere near that flexible.  

On 9/5/2017 at 8:14 PM, Mirage8112 said:

Thoughts comments and criticisms always welcome :D 

Hey Frank, intriguing list. Love the ingenuity and in-depth thinking, as always. 

So, I'm seeing how this could be competitive vs many factions/lists, but struggling to see how it could compete vs some of the top Tzeentch and Stormcast variations, or potentially against Fyreslayers, who look like they're going to be extremely strong (a number of others look like they're going to be really tough as well).

This is probably a longer conversation, though, requiring looking at some specific builds and scenarios. Maybe it's time for another podcast together?

In general, I'm having a tough time seeing how we're going to compete vs Tzeentch and other likely top-table builds, especially ones that can combine enough of the following: high mortal wound output / excellent projection of power, reliability / durability (e.g. excellent saves and/or battleshock immunity), mobility, and high model count.

Hopefully we'll figure some things out and see our faction compete respectably on the top tables. 

12 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

Hey Frank, intriguing list. Love the ingenuity and in-depth thinking, as always. 

So, I'm seeing how this could be competitive vs many factions/lists, but struggling to see how it could compete vs some of the top Tzeentch and Stormcast variations, or potentially against Fyreslayers, who look like they're going to be extremely strong (a number of others look like they're going to be really tough as well).

This is probably a longer conversation, though, requiring looking at some specific builds and scenarios. Maybe it's time for another podcast together?

In general, I'm having a tough time seeing how we're going to compete vs Tzeentch and other likely top-table builds, especially ones that can combine enough of the following: high mortal wound output / excellent projection of power, reliability / durability (e.g. excellent saves and/or battleshock immunity), mobility, and high model count.

Hopefully we'll figure some things out and see our faction compete respectably on the top tables. 

FWIW I've played Tzeentch over four tournaments in the last three months, and it's not pretty, especially if they have a Balewind, and most competitive Tzeentch players certainly have one. They combine, e.g., mobility, high model count for chaffing/screening/tarpitting (enough to zone out any alpha strike), mortal wound output via magic (+ Skyfires and with a Balewind their mortal wound output is coming at you from 36" and it's even worse with Changehost swapping), combat punch via Skyfires (Tzaangors and Enlightened are notable too but they haven't been as prevalent), reliability via Destiny Dice (and other tricks like Kairos guaranteeing Fold Reality to bring back Skyfires), and more. It's important for every faction to have counters, at the moment it just seems like that faction is an especially hard counter for us.

1 hour ago, scrubyandwells said:

Disciples of Tzeentch is actually my second AoS army, so I have a good working understanding of the mechanics involved. It was actually the release of the Tzeentch book that prompted me to rethink my initial dreadwood plan since it gave the army access to tons of chaff and crazy high burst damage. 

I will say, the new points changes really put a bit of damper on what a Tzeentch player can bring to the table. My original Slaves to Darkness/ Arcanite list clocked in at around 1980 pts before the GHB came out. Now it's nearly 2500 points and I've had to really make some tough decisions in order to bring it down to the proper points level. My conclusion is that it can still do all the things it did before, ("high mortal wound output / excellent projection of power, reliability / durability") But it can no longer do them all at the same time.  

FWIW I've played Tzeentch over four tournaments in the last three months, and it's not pretty, especially if they have a Balewind, and most competitive Tzeentch players certainly have one. They combine, e.g., mobility, high model count for chaffing/screening/tarpitting (enough to zone out any alpha strike), mortal wound output via magic (+ Skyfires and with a Balewind their mortal wound output is coming at you from 36" and it's even worse with Changehost swapping), combat punch via Skyfires (Tzaangors and Enlightened are notable too but they haven't been as prevalent), reliability via Destiny Dice (and other tricks like Kairos guaranteeing Fold Reality to bring back Skyfires), and 

I'd love to run through some scenarios and talk about various ways to handle some of these things, but I'll just bring up a couple of point quickly. 

The original Alarielle version of this list was particular vulnerable to some of the things your talking about. It had big, shiny, attractive targets that were fairly durable, but still vulnerable to ranged mortal wounds. Plus, with the low model count every single loss was felt. I attempted to get around those handicaps by throwing down an insane amount of burst damage before the game got underway; hopefully enough that the enemy would have tough time recovering. But if you failed to knock a leg out from under your enemy in that first strike, you didn't really have any other options. So my idea was to spread the power around a little more. I would say that now, the list is Alpha-strike capable rather than alpha-strike focused. It also has a few safeguard specifically designed to counter some of challenges posed by a DioT list. 

If the enemy is bubble wrapped, then you opt to go second. You still can easily control approach to the objective, because the free-redeploy means the dryads are there regardless. The wraith won't be on the table yet, so she's not an available target for skyfyre sniping (and not really an attractive target even if she were in range). If you roll 2-3 objectives you also have the option of reducing the range of all attacks, abilities and spells to 12" for the first battle round. That means the skyfires will need to get relatively close to shoot at the bunker, opening them up for easy charge (and likely a wipe-out if you happen to get the double turn). Same with pretty much everything else that decides it want to focus the bunker. I can almost guarantee the psychological impact of the dryads guarding a key objective will function like a blackhole, pulling everything toward it. With 30 wounds, a -1 to hit with a natural armor save of 4+ (that will increase to a 3+ as the unit shrinks to fit in the woods), they'll be hard pressed to wipe it out in a single round, and it will put them in an insanely vulnerable position at the end of their turn should they try. 

Spites actually make it tough for a demon list to use destiny dice to replenish their numbers through battleshock rolls. Since spite require any enemy unit within 3" of spite-haunted terrain roll 2D6 for battleshock and use the highest, they'll have to burn two destiny 1's to make it work, or burn one and hope they roll a natural 1 (which will probably never happen).

As to Kairos folding reality on Skyfires, there's not to much that can be done about that. But as I said above, the price increase for Skyfires means it's unlikely you'll be facing 2 big units in a list with Karios. Since 2x units of 9 skyfires + Kairos clocks in at a whopping 1540 points (and without a Tzaangor shaman, they only do mortal wounds on a 6+). Talk about all your eggs in a single basket. Even taking 1 big unit with Kairos and a shaman is 1100 points. And still, vs a list like this, what would that big unit shoot at/charge? Spites can pretty much chaff up anything that wants to charge which means they'll forced to stay at distance trying to pick off certain models via shooting. Without burning destiny dice, 9 Skyfires will need 2 turns on average to take out a single treelord (2 wounds after saves +5 damage from mortal wounds bringing the total to 7), 3 turns if they miss shooting the first turn thanks to hidden attackers. 4 if one of the supporting spell casters gets regrowth off. It's also important to remember that while they're staying at a distance trying to pick off targets that could be a threat in CC, they aren't capturing objectives or clearing models off objectives already captured.

2 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

It's important for every faction to have counters, at the moment it just seems like that faction is an especially hard counter for us.

They are if we build our lists the way we always have. When the Disciples book dropped it became pretty clear we were no longer the undisputed kings of Magical Superiority (via Gnarlroot). 27" unbinds and destiny dice for unbinding/casting meant that a Tzeentch player could guarantee a shut down of our magic phase at a critical moment and just burst something off the board and we couldn't do anything about it. High-value, low model count elite builds like that were especially vulnerable. 

But as I said above, I think DioT won't be the same on the tables as they were pre-GHB2017. They're aren't pushovers mind you, so don't think I'm suggesting they're an easy win. But I think they're the faction most dramatically affected by points adjustments. Also, the ruling that the Balewind vortex costs a 100 pts each time it's summoned, and can no longer be utilized by casters who are monsters further levels the playing field vs a DioT army. 

@DantePQ, sorry realised that sounded like I was suggesting you were playing with poor players. Wasn't meant to!

So I played this last night:

Allegiance: Wanderers 
Nomad Prince (80)
Spellweaver (80)
- Heartwood Staff
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (440)
10 x Eternal Guard (80)
20 x Eternal Guard (160)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)
5 x Wild Riders (140)
Waystone Pathfinders (240)

Total: 1980/2000

It's ability is that as long as general alive (Prince) and within 6" of him, it can teleport anywhere on the board, 6" from board edge and 9" from you (think I've got that right). So this would bunker up, two lines of EG around the core of the army - or, even worse, not deploy at all. Guess that would depend on who wins roll off. Either way, I grab one objective. But then he's got the whole of the board to play with, I've used my trick and he can just shoot my hunters to pieces. At that point Alarielle is my only damage output and she does die relatively easily. 

I realise I'm sounding really negative about the Dreadwood here. You're just making such a convincing argument at taking it, I'm having to persuade myself not to (I don't want to have to paint the Spites!) I do, however, think there are quite a lot of armies that have the ability to redeploy relatively quickly from a 'bunkered' up position. There are also a lot of scenarios with more than a couple of objectives, and the DW list can't claim all of them. 

I really want to use the dreadwood too but the list I want is 2050 not 2000 :(

I want to wizards in there but can only fit one 

1 x Durthu

lord of spites

+1 armour

1 x Branchwych

Acorn 

regrowth or raise woods

5 x spite Revs 

5 x spite Revs 

5 x spite Revs 

5 x spite revs

3 x hunters bows

3 x hunters bows

3 x hunters sythes 

3 x hunters sythes 

1 x outcasts 

1 x dreadwood

I want second branchwych to raise more forests or regrowth

or Il possible use

1 x Durthu 

1 x branchwych 

1 x branchwych 

5 x spite Revs 

5 x Tree Revs 

5 x Tree Revs 

3 x hunter bows

3 x hunter bows

3 x hunter sythes 

3 x hunter Sythes

1 x free spirit 

1 x heartwood 

1 hour ago, Xin said:

Hi! Friend of mine has decided she wants to play with "trees"  what woud be cheapest  start for 1000 points? 

Start collecting should probably the first buy... After that it kinda depends on how you want to play them. A second start collecting is probably the best option if we are talking cheapest. You'd have battle line, general and mage covered at least, actually you'd  be on 1k points too. Using a TLA and 2 wyches might be a bit much in 1K points so you could switch one of the wyches ones you buy some revenants later..

25 minutes ago, Dragon10 said:

I really want to use the dreadwood too but the list I want is 2050 not 2000 :(

I want to wizards in there but can only fit one 

1 x Durthu

lord of spites

+1 armour

1 x Branchwych

Acorn 

regrowth or raise woods

5 x spite Revs 

5 x spite Revs 

5 x spite Revs 

5 x spite revs

3 x hunters bows

3 x hunters bows

3 x hunters sythes 

3 x hunters sythes 

1 x outcasts 

1 x dreadwood

I want second branchwych to raise more forests or regrowrh

Well then you'll have to drop something :D

Either that wych... or make Durthu a TLA, the command ability still is good on that one. Or Drycha to combo with spites. Or make a unit of hunters 6 so you have a larger unit teleporting, then you could put 2 more mages in.

Or delete all Durthu's, and just get ONE MASSIVE UNIT of SWORD hunters to teleport in his face and kil kill kill (what is their max unit size btw?)

Against DoT with Dreadwood I'd probably pick the 12" Limited reach ability and neither of the others, then give them turn one. Wall off Alarielle vs the melee chicken and keep any large block of Dryads off the table. Then if you get the double you probably win.

@Lhw

I didn't take it that way so it's all good ;) 

I guess Dreadwood is super fun to play right know as there are many options to build an list around it. I am still thinking hard about Dryads and will playtest other option. In my humble opinion right Dreadwood list can have answer to almost anu other list (of course it will depend on the meta). Dreadwood abilities give extra flexibility and that's what I love about it - I'm think about more strightforward Sylvnaeth army with Dreadwood (TLA, Drycha etc) but especially with Alarielle I don't miss Gnarlroot as I have 4 spells a turn with my army ( or 5 in other variation). 

@Nico

I like that possibility, I guess Dreadwood should fare quite well against DoT, rolling for 3 abilities could be awesome againt them but going second is always good way to go especiaqlly when they can't do anything in turn 1. 

I have a 2k tournament this Sunday., This will be a 3 game tournament. 

I'm really debating if i should keep this a one drop to ensure success.  

Here are a few list I have come up with

Please let me know what you think.

List 1 2-drop List 

General Alarielle 

Drycha 

Branchwych 

Branchwraith 

Waywacther

Spite Rev x 5 

Spite Rev x5 

Spite Rev x5

Spite Rev x5 

Dryads x 20 

Dreadwood

Outcast. 

List 2 

One drop 

Treelord Ancient 

Drycha 

Branchwych 

Duruthu 

Spite Rev x 5 

Spite Rev x5 

Spite Rev x5

Spite Rev x5 

Dryad x10 

Kurnoth Hunter Scythes x3 

Outcast 

Dreadwood 

1 hour ago, Deathawaits101 said:

I have a 2k tournament this Sunday., This will be a 3 game tournament. 

I'm really debating if i should keep this a one drop to ensure success.  

Here are a few list I have come up with

Please let me know what you think.

List 1 2-drop List 

General Alarielle 

Drycha 

Branchwych 

Branchwraith 

Waywacther

Spite Rev x 5 

Spite Rev x5 

Spite Rev x5

Spite Rev x5 

Dryads x 20 

Dreadwood

Outcast. 

List 2 

One drop 

Treelord Ancient 

Drycha 

Branchwych 

Duruthu 

Spite Rev x 5 

Spite Rev x5 

Spite Rev x5

Spite Rev x5 

Dryad x10 

Kurnoth Hunter Scythes x3 

Outcast 

Dreadwood 

I like the first list..

I like the waywatcher.. but not sure I'd sacrifice being 1 drop to get it. Also that list has tons of spells to cast, not sure you'll effectively succeed in that with all of them.I'd say drop wraith and waywatcher and get something which synergizes better... not sure about what.. maybe just 10 dryads and 5 tree revenants? Or delete another 10 dryads and get 3 bowhunters for real character sniping. TBH not sure if these changes would improve the list except making it a one dropper.

12 hours ago, Nico said:

Against DoT with Dreadwood I'd probably pick the 12" Limited reach ability and neither of the others, then give them turn one. Wall off Alarielle vs the melee chicken and keep any large block of Dryads off the table. Then if you get the double you probably win.

The 12" ability will really cripple gunlines. I'd still plop the dryads down on that objective if you have two stratagems available. 30 dryads in a forest are stupidly resilient. For example, check out this fancy chart I made:

Dryad horde resiliency                   
Attacking Unit Hit/Wound # of attacks

Hits

Wounds

Damage Total Rend -2 Rend -1 Rend 0  
4's / 4's 250 92.5 46.25 1 46.25 38.3875 30.9875 23.125  
3's / 4's 190 95 47.5 1 47.5 39.425 31.825 23.75  
3's / 3's 75 37.5 50.25 1 50.25 41.7075 33.6675 25.125  

If the attacking unit hits/wounds on 4's and has at least -1 rend, it will take approximately 250 attacks to clear the dryad horde off an objective (this chart assumes the -1 to hit from a wyldwood).  Granted, mortal wounds from spells/abilities will drop the amount of regular attacks needed to do the job, but it will still require and insane amount of damage to clear that unit. Even if the enemy throws an elite unit that's hitting on 3's by 3's with -2 rend at it, it will still take an average of 55 attacks to get the job done in a single sitting. That's basically 18.3 hunters with scythes. 

Now, this chart just calculates the amount of raw damage necessary to equal the wound total of the unit. In reality, battleshock would be a factor. Since theres no cap on the amount of models that a unit can lose to battleshock, the attacking unit would only need to cause enough damage to get the remaining models to flee. So, unless the dryads had inspiring presence on them, the damage necessary to clear the horde would probably look something like this; assuming you roll a 3 on your battleshock test:

Unit # of attacks Hits Wounds Damage Total Rend -1 Battleshock (3)
4's / 4's 135 49.95 24.975 1 24.975 16.73325 12.73325

However, after you removed the first 6-8 causalities, the rest of the dryads will get the +1 cover save since you'll be removing models outside cover first. So we'll just adjust the chart for that:

Unit # of attacks Hits Wounds Damage Total Rend -1 Rend -1, +cover      
4's / 4's 75 24.75 12.375 1 12.375 8.29125 -      
- 100 33 16.5 1 16.5 - 8.25      

Total Attacks Dead by combat Fled from battleshock Models left
175 16.54125 12.54125 0.9175

So.

It's will take approximately 175 attacks at 4's/4's with -1 rend to fully clear the horde in a single turn. I might point out that the only build I'm aware of that can put out that volume of shots in Kunnin' Rukk and only just barely with 180 shots. But, if you're using the hidden attacks stratagem, Kunnin' Rukk won't be in range during their hero phase, and might have a tough time trying to get there for their first shooting phase. So really, they're only capable of putting out half their viable shots in the first turn with this combo (90 shots) and even then they have to get pretty close. Certainly close enough for Alarielle to punish them in that first charge phase. 

I'd invite @swarmofseals to double check my math, but I'm pretty certain you can still put that horde down without too much fear of it getting focused down. In fact, your enemy would be pretty daft to try and put that much firepower into a unit like that instead of trying to capture what other objectives are available. It's my bet they might try to peel off a few wounds and realize how futile it is, before moving onto something else. 

4 minutes ago, Ove said:

Does the Loremasters Hand of glory work on Drycha`s Flitterfuries/Squirmlings?

Do the spell also work on both TLA ranged and mele abilities?

It doesn't work on Drycha's Flitterfuries or Squirmlings because she's not making normal "to hit rolls" with them (as required with Hand of Glory). She's making "ability rolls," for lack of an official phrase. TLA, though, would get RRs to hit and wound for it's missile and melee weapons.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, new to AoS and new to Sylvaneth. I'm a long time 40k player and I've been looking to put together a semi reasonable Sylvaneth force together for quite some time! When I start collecting an army I like to have a goal in mind so that I don't end up wasting money on models whilst my collection grows! I've been reading through this thread for hints and tips and you guys are great and hopefully I can eventually add some useful comments in the future! With that in mind I was wondering if you guys could help me with my list building and point out things I've done wrong/miss-understood/could improve and what spells I really want to be looking at for my units. This is what I'm looking to put together at the moment and it comes in at 1950 points as my friends who already play do so at the 2k level. It's currently based around x2 start collecting boxes.

Spirit of Durthu (400) - General: Gnarled Warrior - Artefact : The Oaken Armour

Treelord Ancient (300) - Artefact : Briarsheath - Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing

Drycha Hamadreth (280) - Deepwood Spell : The Dwellers Below

Branchwych (80) - Artefact : Acorn of the Ages - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Branchwych (80) - Artefact : The Silverwood Circlet - Deepwood Spell : The Reaping Units

20 x Dryads (200)

20 x Dryads (200)

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Gnarlroot Wargrove (180) Household (70)

1 hour ago, Fatbudda said:

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, new to AoS and new to Sylvaneth. I'm a long time 40k player and I've been looking to put together a semi reasonable Sylvaneth force together for quite some time! When I start collecting an army I like to have a goal in mind so that I don't end up wasting money on models whilst my collection grows! I've been reading through this thread for hints and tips and you guys are great and hopefully I can eventually add some useful comments in the future! With that in mind I was wondering if you guys could help me with my list building and point out things I've done wrong/miss-understood/could improve and what spells I really want to be looking at for my units. This is what I'm looking to put together at the moment and it comes in at 1950 points as my friends who already play do so at the 2k level. It's currently based around x2 start collecting boxes.

Spirit of Durthu (400) - General: Gnarled Warrior - Artefact : The Oaken Armour

Treelord Ancient (300) - Artefact : Briarsheath - Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing

Drycha Hamadreth (280) - Deepwood Spell : The Dwellers Below

Branchwych (80) - Artefact : Acorn of the Ages - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Branchwych (80) - Artefact : The Silverwood Circlet - Deepwood Spell : The Reaping Units

20 x Dryads (200)

20 x Dryads (200)

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Gnarlroot Wargrove (180) Household (70)

I think it's a decent gnarlroot list, the main point will be wether gnarlroot is worth it, more so than the other stuff you brought since I think sylvaneth units are now fairly well balanced for their points so which units you take depend on your playstyle. The only thing is that by going Durthu (instead of 2 units of hunters) you won't be taking optimal effect from the gnarlroot spell making it less likely the batallion will be worth it. But you'll just have to try it. It certainly isn't a bad list.. but as I said internal balance in sylvaneth is good now so I doubt there are much real bad lists: some just have other weaknesses than others.

I was thinking something along these lines. Not much of a change from my old list, just refined down.

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: Treesong
30 x Dryads (270)