Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

15 hours ago, Forestreveries said:

Ha! Really? I'm surprised that you would think that.

I hardly think "major threat" is appropriate.

He's no better than most wizards at dealing with Gnarlroot IMO....

...The Stormcast players in my local area aren't blown away by him. Think there are plenty of ways to dish out d3 mortal wounds without it being restricted to wizards only.
All he's really offering is a single unbind ability in SCE. Which is fair enough.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Aaron

Fair enough, here's my reasoning. Bear in mind this is sylvaneth specific (this is a sylvaneth thread after all) but it really applies to any magic heavy formation:

As far as formations go, Gnarlroot isn't one I would call extremely punchyMost of the lists I've seen posted here have one unit of hunters, maybe two. With the rest of the unit choices are dictated by the formation rules (revenants and the branchwytch), included by virtue of how they augment the formations magic capabilities (sisters of the thorn, battelmage), how they buff our units (Hurricanium), or to fill out the battleline requirements (dryads in groups of 10 or 20, or additional revenants) So really, it's not the units per say that makes the formation strong (say, compared to the Freespirits battalion) but how the formations special rules augment the casters allowing them to heal multi-wound models and return lost models to the field (invaluable considering the Hunters will likely be doing the heavy lifting, and as such taking wounds in return).

So. Really, It's not that gnarlroot puts out a ton of damage, it's that it allows our our few-in-number heavy hitting units to remain on the field hitting longer, while spell casters chip away at enemy units through attrition. Meanwhile, our bunker/anvil units protect the valuable casters from CC threats while racking up point by sitting on objectives. True no?

Now, enter the Lord Veritant.  

for 120pts this guy bring three things to the table:

1. Unlimited attempts at Unbinding. 
2. A +3 to unbinding attempts (While the intent seems clear, the wording is kind of strange, so it will probably need a FAQ just to be sure.).
3. A Gryphhound (there might be some question if this is included in the points cost. Even if it isn't, it's only a 40pt addition.)  

So, there are plenty of ways in which this guy can truly ruin what makes a gnarlroot effective. As I stated above, Gnarlroot is a strong formation because it makes our units incredibly durable, with multiple chances to increase a unit's survivability in case one spell cast fails. Between Regrowth, Verdurous Harmony, Mystic Shield, Lifebloom (if you're taking a battlemage), Shield of Thorns (sisters) it's pretty hard for your opponent to stop all of them in a single phase since most wizards can only attempt 1-2 unbinds. 

The Lord Veritant however can attempt as many unbinds as he likes, provided he's within range. For 120 pts. With an 18" range on unbind, that's effectively a 37" unbind bubble. For 240 points, you can take two and increase that to 74", effectively covering the entire table. That means for every spell you attempt to cast, the enemy will get an unbind attempt. And while it takes a bit of positioning, a savy stormcast player should have them in position by turn 2; turn 3 at the latest. Since he's also a hero, He would count as a hero for the Warrior Brotherhood and could feasibly lightning strike into position in the first turn.

So, that in itself is more annoying than deadly. When faced with even rolls, (i.e. 2d6 to cast a spell, with neither player getting a bonus to cast/unbind) The chance of a spell going off is about 60% with an equal chance to unbind. Which means you have about a 30% chance of a casting value 7 spell (Like Verdurous Harmony for example) going off without being unbound.  Most of the lists I've seen has at least 1 hero with Ranuu's Lamentiri (@Forestreveries has it on one of his Branchwytches one each of his lists. I tend to put it on my TLA in mine.) Which give you a +1 to cast the formation spell, and +2 to cast a deep wood spell; basically increasing your odds to get the spell off without it being unbound to about 40% and 50% respectively. (casting value of 7).

However, based on the wording of the warscroll if the gryphhound if within 6" of an enemy wizard, the Veritant gets +3 to his unbind rolls. That means the chance a spell will go off drops to about 20% (without Ranuu's). And since he gets that bonus for whatever wizard is within 6" and has no limit on the times he can attempt to unbind, it's very possible to shut down an entire magic phase if his positioning is good. I might note, that only the gryph hound needs to be in range to get that bonus. The Vertiant can sit back at the the full 18" if he likes, but, more likely he'll be up front guarded by liberators or something more scary so he can use Sanction to peel a few free wounds off whatever casters are unlucky enough to get within range. 

Oh you'll just keep your casters out of range? You need your Treelord Ancients close to vital combats so their ground shaking stomps go off, as a lot of the strategies we've talked about are built around stacking the -1's to hits. My own Gnarlroot unit set-up of choice is a TLA bunkered in a unit of 20 Dryads in a wood which makes him an easy target for the Veritant. Both in terms of getting the hound in proximity to shut down spellcasting and using the D3 wounds ability. 

Lastly, is the gryphhound. One thing that immediately jumped out at me here, was that the gryphhound is set up when the Veritant hits the table. That means if he's striking into position with a Warrior brotherhood, the hound comes with him even though it's not in the formation. While I'm relatively unfamiliar with the larger Stormcast formations and their points costs, if there's the possibility of a single drop, that means a 50/50 chance you'll get the first turn even with a full Gnarlroot formation. What is that important? Losing that roll for first turn means the possibility of a Vertiant with accompanying Gryphhounds sitting in your free forest with a unit of judicators or, (God forbid) a unit of Concussors means even if there were space to strike in (which their probably won't be) everything will likely get a free round of shooting. (concussors would be truly terrifying). Alternately, he could always serve as a barrier between you and the woods you want to get to, as the "Roused by Magic" ability only works if spells are cast within 6". It would be pretty damn  easy to neuter those woods as teleport beacons when you can't deep strike into them without getting shot and can't get close enough to punish his units  with magic for standing in them. 

The Vertiant isn't foolproof. He's basically a 3 wound (the hound is 3 wounds and necessary for him to be the most effective), slow (5") anti-caster. He's got a decent save and has decent hitting power, but nothing to write home about. But he's got seriously magic denial potential if he protected and used well. And if you're running a formation or army list that doesn't make extensive use of magic, he'll not be nearly as useful. But again, it's not as if he's 320pts (Hurricanum) or even 200pts (Teclis) so the investment is pretty minimal. 

Sometimes a unit strength is not in what it can do, but in the choices he forces your opponent to make. For example, if you decide to take Ranuu's Lamentiri on your characters to make his unbind less certain. Awesome for the Stormcast player; No acorn for the wood means camping the the free one is easier. No briarsheath makes shooting more effective, and no silverwood circlet means you'll have to get that much closer making the D3 wounds easier to get off. If you decide to keep your spell casters back behind your front lines to keep them out of range; great. No -1 from TLA stomps and it's possible you won't be within the 6" necessary to activate the forests. 

Let's put it this way, for 120 pts, he'd be auto-include for me. Especially if the Gryphhound is included in his cost. 

-F

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of good points in the post above. He's bad news for Sylvaneth who rely on quantity over quality of spellcasting.

The Puppy is extra points looking at the rules on reinforcement points - it's an ability that brings on a unit after all.

The Lord Veritant - love how you call him Ventilator - isn't one of the named heroes in the Warrior Brotherhood - so he cannot deepstrike atm. 

3 minutes ago, Nico said:

A lot of good points in the post above. He's bad news for Sylvaneth who rely on quantity over quality of spellcasting.

The Puppy is extra points looking at the rules on reinforcement points - it's an ability that brings on a unit after all.

The Lord Veritant - love how you call him Ventilator - isn't one of the named heroes in the Warrior Brotherhood - so he cannot deepstrike atm. 

LoL ty. Fixed. AoS is hell on my Spellchecker. I'm always having to add new words and my computer is like WTF?

I'm not entirely certain how the gryphhound works. It's very likely re-enforcement points, but truthfully the whole wording of the warscroll makes me scratch my head. 

1 hour ago, Nico said:

The Lord Veritant... isn't one of the named heroes in the Warrior Brotherhood - so he cannot deepstrike atm. 

I've looked all over for the warscroll since I don't have a copy of it in print. Who are the heroes for the Warrior brotherhood? 

Good points above, but I had considered those so I guess I will need to see him in action rather than paper to see him as being particularly bad rather than just an annoyance.

Even my Gnarlroot lists tend to aim at 3 Kurnoth Hunters, and don't forget the hurricanum spits out mortal wounds at the same range that this guy would need to dispell it. I don't like having to focus something I wouldn't have otherwise so I could see those shots onto him as being more annoying than I realise, but I look forward to seeing it on paper.

Regardless, he definitely can't be dismissed and I wasn't glad to see his anti caster rules that's for sure.

By taking this at 160 points what are Stormcast lists going to be taking out? I'm not super familiar with them, is that roughly 5 judicators?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm 2/3 through this topic and really need to ask my questions now before I forget them so excuse me if things have been answered in the remaining pages I've yet to read.
1. If you decide to use the Balewind vortex (which is probably not going to be appreciated, at least not in my meta): how would you react If you opponent said you'd have to double the range (with vortex) first before adding the +6 " ? (Personally I'd say this isn't unreasonable)
2. Everyone is mentioning Flitterfuries but doing lots of damage with that is kinda dependant on getting in range of a lot of units of the enemy (and you usually can't teleport in the middle of the army) and then doing 1/2 mortal wounds on each unit when the squirmlings from an undamaged Drycha can really hurt high model count (1/2 wound) units (and the triggering battle shock too for more damage)
3. Has anyone got a viable Gnarlwood list with Alarielle in 2000 points?
4. As a general strategy: does placing a 3 base wild wood (going more than 3 seems to be pushing it) in the middle before picking sides seem the best idea generally. (then dropping the acorn in your own side preferably over an objective?

1) I think the Facehammer GT had additions happen before doubling but hopefully someone else chimes in.
2)I'm curious about the squirmlings, particularly now everyone is clear that the fluterflies hurt herself. Probably depends on the meta (I'm up against a lot of low model count armies). Hopefully@forestreveries chimes in as he has an on-again-off-again relationship with her ;). The main strength was the ability to roll 10 dice for each Hero in range also.
3) not really. you would have about 700 points to get 2 more Battleline and also flesh out the rest of your army. She combos best with high wound models but how many would you actually have? At 2500 points she might be a bit more viable, or leave the battalion and do the monster mash that@forestreveries ran at reign of stars (though I think Aaron has even moved away from that list lately unless I'm mistaken)
4) yep I think so. Depending on scenery placement of course. Note it's only 1-3 now (again), the 2+ that was in the app for a while has been updated. The Middle of The board is where models will be quickly in the game so if you dont put your free one down there you might not be able to later. It's also easy to block yourself off for your acorn if you deploy carelessly so keep that in mind.

2. Yeah she hurts everyone including herself with average 1-2 wounds.. it's not really that impressive though I guess MSU armies and armies with small (5 wound) hero's wouldn't like it. But most armies have a battleline unit that will  be taken in 20 + (though even on 10 models the damage is significant).

3. Yeah that was my experience too when building. I'd get a TLA and Alarielle in there and there would be no room for hunters. I guess you could put in treekin for a somewhat cheap tarpit (since you'd probably be on min sized dryads too so not ideal tarpitting there either). The same thing goes for the Gnarlwood/dreadwood combo (gnarlwood for .. well gnarlwood and dreadwood for anti alpha strike  stuff). If only the spite-revenants where battleline it wound't be that bad (though forgoing dryads might end up in misery too)

4. God there should be some sort of indicator when a thing has an update. (I remember a somewhat criticising post I made about the waywatcher hero as general... and suddenly he did have a command ability making him a much better choice). Anyway.. now the option of placing the whole board full of a single forest is removed I will just make use of them to their max. potential (so 3 woods if possible).

1) I think the Facehammer GT had additions happen before doubling but hopefully someone else chimes in.

In the Hints and Tips of each Battletome, if it's your turn, then you decide the order of (simultaneous) abilities, e.g. the Necrotect and Settra's buff. You can definitely add the 6 and then double it. Similarly Kroak can add 2 Astrobearers and then double it. There's a hard counter to this - it's called unbind the spell! Alternatively get a Thundertusk for much more reliable mortal wounding.

Hopefully, they will FAQ that she doesn't hit herself with the flies - this is an atrocity to the fluff since she would just kill herself.

Squirmlings are really good against blocks obviously. 

About wild wood placement:

The TLA ability silent communion says all the forest bases have to be within 15": does this mean the WHOLE base has to be within 15" or is a (small) part enough.

Same for the Deepwood lore spell: is a small part of a singl base enough or all bases completely? (had discussion about this)

More generally: if all 3 models of a unit (of kurnoth hunters) have the very EDGE of their base on a terrain feature they should get cover right? or only if they are completely on it (it was a sort of ruin with a square base around one of the fallen walls there was a 1/4 inch rim of base of the terrain feature, obviously not the ruin itself but I had assumed I'd be in cover if my models where on that rim (and so 95% of their bases not on the terrain at all). My opponent disagreed which caused me to have 6 rounds of battle with bow hunters there without getting save bonus (and opponents chaos warrior had charged over the terrain and where on the other side of the wall well within the terrain.. so he did get it annoying).

The TLA ability silent communion says all the forest bases have to be within 15": does this mean the WHOLE base has to be within 15" or is a (small) part enough.

No - the measuring rules in the 4 pages make clear that it's nearest point to nearest point. So part of all 3 bases of the Wyldwood need to be within 15. This is quite a lot weaker than Verdant Blessing (which is by design as it's free).

Verdant Blessing is one base of the potential 3 bases of the Wyldwood has to be within 18 (nearest point), so you can conga away with that one. In practice, unless you take turn one, you'll very rapidly run out of space to deploy Wyldwoods.

You need to be wholly within scenery - this is within the FAQs. 

His rules interpretation was always in my disadvantage which is why I'm asking here:

-had to place forests completely within the range in the spells

- no saves for troops only touching the base of the terrain feature

- generally being annoyed with me having 4 casters with tons of spells saying he couldn't keep track of what was happening

AND to top it of:

we did a take and hold scenario and I was turtling: in the end I didn't have 5 models near my own objective so I didn't have it anymore (I didn't know I'd lose it that way.. but he was right about that) then he claimed a minor victory for hainv 1 VP and me 0 VP..... the day after I read the minor victory rules and ... NOTHING about the objective in there, just casualties...

Seems he was right about the cover (However now I read the FAQ again he should have lost the cover save himself since he move one of the models in a similar position (partly on the terrain) so that model and thus his unit are not in cover.

-had to place forests completely within the range in the spells

Well this is plainly wrong.

- generally being annoyed with me having 4 casters with tons of spells saying he couldn't keep track of what was happening

Buy him a notepad and a biro as a present.

Yeah it goes straight to kill points (unlike Blood & Glory significantly).

So been chatting to Aaron about a 2000 point pair of lists for a tournament coming up for me in January.

So far I've got:

List #1

Treelord Ancient

Branchwych

Branchwych

Sisters of the Thorn

20 Dryads

10 Dryads

5 Tree Revenants

6 Kurnoth Hunters (bows)

6 Kurnoth Hunters (Scythes, or split into 3 scythes and 3 swords for model variety)

Gnarlroot

Household

List #2

Spirit of Durthu

Treelord Ancient

Branchwych

Loremaster

20 Dryads

10 Dryads

5 Tree Revenants

6 Kurnoth Hunters (bows)

3 Kurnoth Hunters (scythes)

Gnarlroot

Household

~~

List one is the general purpose list designed to (try) hold multiple objectives, whereas list two is the list I'd play for three places of power and against character dependent armies. 

Any thoughts? I'm also considering a Hurricanum list for list 2, and had considered the ironbark lists and etc that have been posted but I don't really want to buy all the models.

Hi!

Last saturday I went to my local store again and played 2 games vs. Brettonia

His list was:

Green Knight

Damsel of the Lady

5 Grail Knights

8 Knights of the Realm

Trebuchet

My list was:

Branchwych

Treelord Ancient

5 Tree Revenants

16 Dryads

3 Kurnoth Hunters with scythes

so 920 Points each....

We didnt play a scenario.

He didn't stand a chance in any of the games! While in the first game his green knight didnt appear til turn 3, even in the second game where he placed him during initial startup he didnt stand a chance! I have to say though that my tree revenants wrecked him in both games. in game one he started and took away 2 revenants with the trebuchet (i know, very bad dice), the remaining 3 could easily snipe the trebuchet! (and some turns later they mopped up the damsel in one combat phase).

In direct combat my units seemed to be much much stronger! the dryads tank so ****** much and with 2" attack range and two attacks each they made a lot more happen than his cavalary! And im not even talking about the kurnoth hunter with scythes, those guys just ate his ponys for breakfast!

And I still had my Ancient!

Did I stomp him so hard because we just played "kill all"? I think his horesmen would be much stronger vs scattered out units, when they can charge every turn or each second to get their better characteristics!

Is there a differenc ein power level between new and "old" armies? because it feels like this for me! His green knight doesnt even compare to my kurnoth hunters (200 vs 180 points).

I kinda feeld bad because I won ever game vs this guys yet by a lot (like still having half of my army left) and there arent much AoS players at my store!

Alex

Hi!
Last saturday I went to my local store again and played 2 games vs. Brettonia
His list was:
Green Knight
Damsel of the Lady
5 Grail Knights
8 Knights of the Realm
Trebuchet

My list was:
Branchwych
Treelord Ancient
5 Tree Revenants
16 Dryads
3 Kurnoth Hunters with scythes

so 920 Points each....
We didnt play a scenario.

He didn't stand a chance in any of the games! While in the first game his green knight didnt appear til turn 3, even in the second game where he placed him during initial startup he didnt stand a chance! I have to say though that my tree revenants wrecked him in both games. in game one he started and took away 2 revenants with the trebuchet (i know, very bad dice), the remaining 3 could easily snipe the trebuchet! (and some turns later they mopped up the damsel in one combat phase).
In direct combat my units seemed to be much much stronger! the dryads tank so ****** much and with 2" attack range and two attacks each they made a lot more happen than his cavalary! And im not even talking about the kurnoth hunter with scythes, those guys just ate his ponys for breakfast!
And I still had my Ancient!
Did I stomp him so hard because we just played "kill all"? I think his horesmen would be much stronger vs scattered out units, when they can charge every turn or each second to get their better characteristics!
Is there a differenc ein power level between new and "old" armies? because it feels like this for me! His green knight doesnt even compare to my kurnoth hunters (200 vs 180 points).
I kinda feeld bad because I won ever game vs this guys yet by a lot (like still having half of my army left) and there arent much AoS players at my store!

Alex

Hey Alex well done. Not sure on the specifics as I haven't versed bretonia. Two answers though:
1) no objectives generally favours us IMO, as we have no reason to move out from good Wyldwood positioning. Some other armis are also advantaged though, but maybe not Bretonia.
2) I wouldn't say so for sure, and I wouldn't base too much off one match up either (in science we would call that a terrible sample size haha). Many armies need updating (Tzeentch) but many older models are doing the rounds as very good (moonclan, skaven, etc).

I guess given that not many armies are new most of the worse armies are older, but there are likely just as many good old armies as good new armies so it depends on what you really mean I guess. So on average, the very few new armies probably have an edge but don't assume at all that you will beat any older armies!

I do not think many characters can compare to our Hunters I must be honest.. it's even difficult for characters in general to compare to almost any rank n file troops directly. Most non behemoth hero's are only worth their points if their abilities are fully used. SO: if their abilities are not used, not well used or are just not fitting with your army or your play style they will not really be worth their points.

@Alexxk I've found it more often depends on the player than the army.  Sylvaneth completely change the board on some people's strategy because of how mobile they are.  For players that aren't accustomed and take some time to shift their tactics, we can completely wipe the floor with people.  I've had a few games where I table the opponent barely taking a scratch myself.  Sure the dice are usually in my favor on those games, but the dice are only part of the game.

The thing I really need to keep in mind is that AoS games are 5 rounds and that is NOT a lot. I tried to turtle a bit last game to take advantage of my (limited, 3 hunters - and drycha and TLA but they where not in range of anyone) shooting. Then I kept my TLA back a bit to shoot when his cavalry hit my treemen. But the TLA COULD have been in combat in turn 2 but I only got it in combat in turn 4. Then it got 0 wounds from 10 chaos warriors (TLA with gnarled warrior, not even a combat item - he had the circlet and reaping) and I was thinking... he'd never die against units like that and could've healed or been healed (Gnarlroot wargrove) easily even when rolling terrible.

Point is: melee power needs to melee where they can because if you keep back you just wasted your points for more than half the game. 

(not to mention I'd have pushed him further from my objective).

Taking this all into account I might go melee Kurnoths in next games btw. Gnarlwood has options for mortalwound output to drop the damage on mortal wound outputting monsters from 6 to D6 (you know who I mean). Even in a hurricanum Gnarlwood (I didn't have it now, pure Sylv that game) just advancing with melee might be a good choice since our melee hunters are strong and can survive well.

I'm relatively new to the AOS scene, but have a 2k gnarlroot WIP and with hopes to enter a tourney dated January 2017. The meta remains unknown, but with the tourney having a 500 sideboard option. Which warscrolls should I have to give me some edge in the tourney scene? If there is a similar thread or previous similar to this question, please address me to that post and/or thread. 

My 2k Sylvaneth WIP

Gnarlroot

Household

TLA

Branchwych

Tree-Revnant 5

Spirit of Durthu

Kurnoth Hunters (scythes) 3

Kurnoth Hunters (swords) 3

Kurnoth Hunters (bows) 3

Dryads 20

Dryads 10

Loremaster 

I would recomend to have more scythe or sword kurnoths in sideboard! Magnetizing them is hard work tough,  if the tournament is wysiwyg! Mybe it is ok that you just say: all of them are scytes or all of them are swords!
Having more than 3 with bows sounds nice too, since 3 are quite unrelliable when you want to snipe a hero or put a big monster down some wounds!

vs. Seraphon for example swords are not so good because nearly everything ignores rend -1, so scythes are the way to go....but vs skeletons the swords are great!

Someone did the mathhammer and scythes are allways better vs save 4+, so maybe jsut go more scythes! (maybe even in one unit to cast a mystic shield on them)

The other good sideboard option is Drycha. If you can get her into range of her Squirmlingws she can DEMOLISH a big unit of chaff (taking out 2/3 of the unit, battleshock shoudl do the rest). So vs Skeletons, Goblins, maybe even Seraphon with Warriors or skinks, Bonespliiterz etc. she can lift her weight!

On 2016-10-17 at 9:28 AM, MidasKiss said:

So been chatting to Aaron about a 2000 point pair of lists for a tournament coming up for me in January.

So far I've got:

List #1

Treelord Ancient

Branchwych

Branchwych

Sisters of the Thorn

20 Dryads

10 Dryads

5 Tree Revenants

6 Kurnoth Hunters (bows)

6 Kurnoth Hunters (Scythes, or split into 3 scythes and 3 swords for model variety)

Gnarlroot

Household

List #2

Spirit of Durthu

Treelord Ancient

Branchwych

Loremaster

20 Dryads

10 Dryads

5 Tree Revenants

6 Kurnoth Hunters (bows)

3 Kurnoth Hunters (scythes)

Gnarlroot

Household

~~

List one is the general purpose list designed to (try) hold multiple objectives, whereas list two is the list I'd play for three places of power and against character dependent armies. 

Any thoughts? I'm also considering a Hurricanum list for list 2, and had considered the ironbark lists and etc that have been posted but I don't really want to buy all the models.

I attended and won a 40p turnement with your list 2 (eccept I splitted the bow hunters into 2 units). I played aggressively and always took the first turn. Teleporting around The field gives a lot of mobility.  

My 2k Sylvaneth WIP

Gnarlroot

Household

TLA

Branchwych

Tree-Revnant 5

Spirit of Durthu

Kurnoth Hunters (scythes) 3

Kurnoth Hunters (swords) 3

Kurnoth Hunters (bows) 3

Dryads 20

Dryads 10

Loremaster 

As per the above post - use MSU (Multiple Small Units) for pew pew units like Bow Hunters (unless you're buff stacking which is rare on pew pew).

Since you're so close to having it, I would probably drop 10 Dryads and take the Free Spirits battalion too - that way you have the option of alpha strike by combining Swift Vengeance and Forest Spirits to deploy 9 inches away in the hero phase and then move in the movement phase (see several pages back in this thread). Probably do a search for those abilities.

Has it been FAQ:d wether or not you can spirit path your way out of combat yet? And if so, does it count as retreating or just moving?

Btw, won an epic three-way battle against Stormcast Eternals and Beastclaw Raiders a few weeks ago. On the last dice of the game my Treelord Ancient secured me the victory with his Massive Impaling Talon. ;)

Archived