Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, xanderhansen said:

Hej again
I'm still looking for someone to clarify if SOD can then use his solemn guardian on my loremaster when he is an order hero?

Sendt fra min SM-G935F med Tapatalk

The ability clearly states SYLVANETH HERO, so it looks like a no to me.

On 4/4/2017 at 7:34 AM, Nico said:

Yep. I agree. The Artefacts clarify the position right in the centre of the page in very small text "Any Sylvaneth Hero" can be given a magical artefact.

The only one I had lingering doubts over was the Command Trait (which simply says "general of a Sylvaneth army"). Was this clarified? Thoughts?

A command trait is an allegiance ability, so the same rule applies as before: If a warscroll doesn't have the SYLVANETH keyword, it can't benefit from any Sylvaneth allegiance abilities. See key paragraph below (key part in bold) from GH FAQ. 

In terms of the Forest Spirits battle trait, the same principle applies: Any warscrolls/models/units without the SYLVANETH keyword can't benefit from any Sylvaneth allegiance abilities, even if they're in a Sylvaneth allegiance battalion, so you wouldn't be able to deploy, say, a Gnarlroot Wargrove Hurricanum via Forest Spirits. In that example, as one initial drop, you could deploy all or some of the battalion's SYLVANETH keyword warscrolls in the hidden enclaves (via Forest Spirits), and then deploy the Hurricanum and any remaining SYLVANETH units as individual drops (and of course the SYLVANETH units could still be deployed, as individual drops, in the hidden enclaves). 

When picking your army’s allegiance abilities, all units
in a warscroll battalion are considered to have the
allegiance listed above the title on the warscroll. For
example, the Guardians of Alarielle warscroll battalion 
includes both Sylvaneth and Stormcast Eternals units,
and has ‘Sylvaneth’ listed as its allegiance above the
battalion’s title. This means that all of the Stormcast
Eternals units in the battalion are considered to have
the Sylvaneth allegiance when it comes to choosing
allegiance abilities. An army otherwise made up of
Sylvaneth units which included this battalion could
choose the Sylvaneth or Order allegiance abilities, but
the Stormcast Eternals from this battalion wouldn’t
benefit from the Sylvaneth allegiance abilities, as they
don’t have the Sylvaneth keyword.’

Whilst we're on this topic, the gnarlroot can include any number of other sylvaneth units, does this mean if you include drycha either as an additional unit or order wizard she gains verdurous harmony spell? (Can still only cast one spell a turn ofc)

6 minutes ago, Zhorphorus said:

Whilst we're on this topic, the gnarlroot can include any number of other sylvaneth units, does this mean if you include drycha either as an additional unit or order wizard she gains verdurous harmony spell? (Can still only cast one spell a turn ofc)

Yeah, any SYLVANETH WIZARD or ORDER WIZARD in a Gnarlroot Wargrove battalion gain access to the Verdurous Harmony spell.  

Still stuck on my 1 K list.

TLA, WYCH

20 Dryads,  5 tree revs, 3 hunters

Leaves me at 920. 80 to spend

If I had more hunters I'd put them in the list... but I only have 3. How to fill the 80 points? I could delete 10 dryads and the Wych for Drycha I guess.

5 hours ago, Aezeal said:

TLA, WYCH

If I had more hunters I'd put them in the list... but I only have 3. How to fill the 80 points? I could delete 10 dryads and the Wych for Drycha I guess.

I have had some luck with this

TLA, Wych

20 Dryads, 5 Tree Revs

Treelord

I love the hunters but in a 1000 point army the Treelord is just awesome.

I actually played with 10 dryad, no Wych and Drycha. Drycha demolished a unit of 20 dreadspears in 2 rounds of shooting. ( but died due to 6 mw from executioners and a charge from some strong chaos guys (3 attack, 2 wound) buffed by a shrine.

On 4/6/2017 at 3:21 PM, Kindling said:

Mortal wounds are the bane of Sylvaneth armies, we have next to zero mw mitigation.

Our mitigation for Mortal wounds is basically Gnarlroot bringing models back no the board, or regrowth to heal up multi-wound models. It's pretty difficult to blast 15 wounds of the board on a single turn (athough not impossible.) 

This is actually why tree-rev's are so important in a good list. Putting 5 of them 18" out from something valuable mostly prevents your big vulnerable units from being targeted by ranged mortal wounds; opponents will have to go through the revenants first before being in range to target anything useful (which also gives you a turn or two to set up a counterstrike). 

CC mortal wound generation is less of an issue, since the dryad+TL(A) bunker is so effective at reducing hit values. 

On 4/6/2017 at 8:57 AM, Aezeal said:

TLA, WYCH

playing in a 1k doubles tourney tomorrow. Here's what I'm bringing:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet  
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Branchwych (100)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages  
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines

Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)

Battalions
Household (20)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)

Total: 1000/1000

Doubling up on regrowth + Silverwood circlet on the TLA to ensure I can keep Drycha alive while the bunker sits on objectives. T-revs are there to screen if somebody gets aggressive. 

I actually decided not to go Gnarlroot and Wych.. since it's 200 points that are less effective in 1K IMHO (less stuff to heal etc). I decided to go with a unit of 3 shooty hunters to target low wound hero's (high chance of them being in 1K points).

Hi guys,

I will be participating at a big local tournament with some special ruling:

Terrain will block los/give you cover if your model is bigger (f.e. you cant shoot through a forrest, but out/in.

Terrain will double your movement/charge (A fence, forrests again etc.).

So my idea was: lets create a very melee heavy list, that is also able to get some more ww onto the table, to even block more enemy shooting.

At the moment I'm stuck between two lists.

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Branchwych (100)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: The Dwellers Below

Spirit of Durthu (400)
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 

Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior - Sylvaneth
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Loremaster (100)

Battleline

5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
20 x Dryads (240)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (180)
- Scythes
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (360)
- Scythes

Battalions
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)
Household (20)

Scenery
Sylvaneth Wyldwood - Sylvaneth Allegiance (0)

Total: 1980/2000

Or:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Branchwych (100)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: The Dwellers Below

Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior - Sylvaneth
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Spirit of Durthu (400)
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 

Battleline
10 x Tree-Revenants (200)
10 x Tree-Revenants (200)
10 x Dryads (120)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (180)
- Scythes
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (360)
- Scythes

Battalions
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)
Household (20)

Scenery
Sylvaneth Wyldwood - Sylvaneth Allegiance (0)

What do you guys think?

@scrubyandwells and @Mirage8112 oh wise Lords of the Clan, in relation to the Dreadwood Wargrove and Hidden Attackers (range cap to 12" for Battleround 1), does unbinding count as being within "enemy attacks, abilities or spells" (and hence limited to 12" unbinding range)?

I note in this regard that unbinding falls under the title "Casting Spells" in the core rules.

I would welcome your thoughts please.

1k Doubles Tournament yesterday. Restrictions were pretty lax, you didn't have to conform to army restrictions in regard to list building, but if you did build a battleline army, you were able to utilize allegiance abilities. Rule of 1's in play, but monsters did get cover saves. I partnered with a friend who brought his empire army out of retirement. We used the compendium warscroll for the priest, (so the keywords would line up properly).  First match was vs. Ogres and Dwarfs (Thorogrim and Belagar no less) second was Stormcast and Fyerslayers, and third was Beastclaw raiders and Lizardmen. I'd just thought I'd post some observations rather than a full Battlereport. 

For reference I ran the following: 

Allegiance: Order

Branchwych (100)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages  
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gift of Ghyran - Sylvaneth
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri  
10 x Dryads (120)
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)
Household (20)

Total: 1000/1000

1st game: Three places of power (Dwarfs and Ogres)

Took a brutal beating the first two rounds, as we opted for first turn and they rolled well for priority and took a double turn. 

This match further reenforced my opinion that dryads do not do well in 10's. That extra point of save is pretty important for units over 12 and the extra bodies make a fairly significant contribution to battleshock. In all three games I played, the dryads popped int elf first battleground due to a  combination of wounds/mortal wounds and then battleshock. In this particular game, it was a butcher and an Ogre tyrant (with Giant breaker) that were able to clear the forest (even with a -2 to hit for dryads + a TLA stomp) of dryads. Without that extra save and the extra bodies, there just isn't a chance to bring any back with verdurous harmony.

On the other hand, my Rev were the players of the game. A single unit of 5 managed to take out said butcher and Tyrant in the next two rounds of combat without suffering a single wound. Say what you want about 4+ to hit, the fact that they have 2 attacks apiece with -1 rend (with the protector glaive doing 2 damage) they managed to give the TLA enough breathing room to heal himself up with regrowth. 10/10 would run again.

Game ended at turn 3 with a minor victory to us based on kill points. 

2nd game: Border war (stormcast and Fyreslayers)

Took first turn again and opted for deep strike TLA and dryads onto one of the center objectives. My partner also moved 40 halberdiers onto the other center objective, effectively netting us 10 points in the first game turn. As in the last game, the Dryads popped early leaving the TLA holding the objective. Again, the other team scored a double turn and poured ranged fire into the TLA with 6 tempestors, a magmadroth and 10 auric heathgaurd who tunneled into the back. He suffered 8 wounds (rolled saves like champ) and when it became obvious he could no longer control the objective or destroy his attackers he opted to heal himself back to full health (gift of ghyran + regrowth is just fantastic healing) and teleport out. 

Game ended at turn 4 with them conceding since we were too far ahead in objective points for them to catch up. 

3rd game: take and hold (beastclaw raiders and Seraphon).

The beastclaw player had his partner leave so of the local opted to jump in, he wanted a small army so he opted to bring lord Kroak, a bastilidon and a saurus astrolith bearer.

The funny thing was they decided their army list before knowing the scenario was take and hold. Since they were essentially a 9 model army (a frostorn, a beastrider store horn, two mournfang and two sabercats) they couldn't actually hold both objectives at the same time due to not having enough models. The only way they would be able to win was wiping us out. 

since this was a silly game and we had basically won from deployment, it was more about seeing the best way to take out double Stornhorns. I had placed my free wood in the back near their objective and dropped my acorn to block the stornhorns approach. In the end, we actually pinned the general in with Wyldwoods (those huge bases are a major liability if you position your forests with blocking traffic in mind) by baiting him with a unit of greatswords. While the swords were wiped out to a man that turn, the TLA and Branchwytch managed to take him down with mortal wounds from spells/wyldwoods/shooting. 

Drycha dropped into the back near the end of the match do see about doing something re: the gastrolith bearer + Kroak. She actually made her 9 inch charge (rolled an 11!) and tried but failed to take out Kroak. we rolled the double this time and she was able to put enough wounds into Kroak that he popped that turn.

At this point, they conceded having lost everything but the Bastilladon.  

Wins 3 Losses 0. 

General impressions:

Deepstriking the general is huge risk/reward strategy. No command abilities for potentially the first two turns was a major drawback as getting inspiring presence on the dryads would have helped immensely. Yet still, being able to get on objectives turn 1 basically won us the second game and kept us competitive in the first.

Drycha's damage output is surprisingly consistent even as she takes wounds. She can also weather a fair amount of fire provided nobody is throwing mortal wounds at her. In each game I opted to keep her off the board, and deep strike her when I had the opportunity for a double turn. Out of the 3 times I attempted, I only got the double turn once, but bringing her into a fight that was already underway meant i could (mostly) position her out of ranged fire. Also arriving to combat that we were losing (dwarf hammerers + Thorgrim = bad business) allowed her to pretty much wreck everything and turn the tide of combat herself. (squirmlings rerolling 1's is brutal at full health.)

1 hour ago, Nico said:

@scrubyandwells and @Mirage8112 oh wise Lords of the Clan, in relation to the Dreadwood Wargrove and Hidden Attackers (range cap to 12" for Battleround 1), does unbinding count as being within "enemy attacks, abilities or spells" (and hence limited to 12" unbinding range)?

I note in this regard that unbinding falls under the title "Casting Spells" in the core rules.

I would welcome your thoughts please.

Ooooh. That's a tough one. The Slaughterpriest can unbind spells in the manner of wizard due to the ability "Scorn of Sorcery". Hidden attacks reduced abilities to 12" so in that case, definitely. Other wizards it's a bit more tricky, only because it doesn't "clearly" fall into any of the categories named.   

Because it does work on individuals who unbind via an ability (Slaughterpriest, Lord-Veritant) I would say it's probably intended to affect your regular run-of-the-mill unbinding too, but I think most players would want an FAQ on that, either from the TO or GW itself.  

Archived