Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drycha and Primal Terror:  Do you roll a dice for all enemy units in 10" add them up, add 2 then do the damage to each unit?  Or do you roll and add 2 for each enemy unit one by one?  If the latter its not a very good spell against Death and lots of chaos which have bravery of 10.

12 hours ago, Ian R said:

Drycha and Primal Terror:  Do you roll a dice for all enemy units in 10" add them up, add 2 then do the damage to each unit?  Or do you roll and add 2 for each enemy unit one by one?  If the latter its not a very good spell against Death and lots of chaos which have bravery of 10.

It's not a very good spell except against low bravery armies that is true. Not sure if it would work against Bravery 10 even if you build a list on reducing bravery. Has anyone tried cobbling together such a list?

I see a lot of fuzz going around about the gryph hound. It seems it can be useful to a lot of factions, but mostly it comes down to "the gryph hound is good, but not worth loosing allegiance over" 

so the I thought about the Sylvaneth battalion with an order unit in it. It would still retain Sylvaneth allegiance and could have a unit of gryph hounds, right? So is it useful for Sylvaneth? 

I see a lot of fuzz going around about the gryph hound. It seems it can be useful to a lot of factions, but mostly it comes down to "the gryph hound is good, but not worth loosing allegiance over" 

so the I thought about the Sylvaneth battalion with an order unit in it. It would still retain Sylvaneth allegiance and could have a unit of gryph hounds, right? So is it useful for Sylvaneth? 

Yeah probably not worth the battalions needed. For some games it will be useless. Also I find that Sylvaneth are usually the aggressors putting the pressure on, sitting back waiting for opponents to come to you isn't making the most of the allegience anyway in most situations.

Gryph hounds and Kurnoth certainly combo well in an Order army though!

Sent from the Hidden Enclaves via the Realmroots

So I got a ticket to the narrative event RAW a bit last minute, and didn't realise there were no special characters allowed.

Along with the requirement to have 2 painted Realmgates this left me in a sticky situation.

I only have 2500 points of painted Sylvaneth (the stuff I took to RoS) and 900 of them (Drycha and Alarielle) are unusable at this event.

A friend has leant me 6 Kurnoth Hunters and a second Treelord Ancient and I will be taking the following list.

Should note that there are no battleline requirements, and that this isn't a competitive event, just a fun narrative weekend.

Heartwood Wargrove Battalion 60
- Free Spirits Battalion 40
- Spirit of Durthu 400
- 3 Kurnoth Hunters (scythes) 180
- 3 Kurnoth Hunters (swords) 180
- 3 Kurnoth Hunters (bows) 180

Oakenbrow Wargrove Battalion 80
- Lords of the Clan Battalion 60
- Treelord Ancient 300
(Command Trait; Gift of Ghyran)
- Treelord Ancient 300
- Treelord 260
- Treelord 260

The Heartwood Battalion is probably a waste, or even detrimental, as I do t have enough characters to make use of the artefact, and it means I can't drop the army in one go.

What it does do is let me move all 4 units of Kurnoth Hunters as part of the Free Spirits Battalion rather than the usual 3 units.

The army is supersmall model count and I actually can't figure out if it's going to be good or not haha!

It will come down to the (as yet unknown) battleplans I guess!

Aaron

Sent from the Hidden Enclaves via the Realmroots

Heartwood Wargrove Battalion 60
- Free Spirits Battalion 40
- Spirit of Durthu 400
- 3 Kurnoth Hunters (scythes) 180
- 3 Kurnoth Hunters (swords) 180

Oakenbrow Wargrove Battalion 80
- Lords of the Clan Battalion 60
- Treelord Ancient 300
(Command Trait; Gift of Ghyran)
- Treelord Ancient 300
- Treelord 260
- Treelord 260

It will come down to the (as yet unknown) battleplans I guess!

Judging from Holy Havoc (the Warhammer Weekly video - a number of the battleplans there required a high model count as a balancing factor for monster mash tendencies - I think they had a certain number of Warscrolls). Obviously, that's a different event in a different continent, but wouldn't it make sense to take some Dryads?

You can bash out Realmgates pretty quickly with drybrushing.

Looking forward to some updates - maybe you can take out Megaboss Krunk... I mean Ghoul King Tomlin.

Have fun! Will be enviously watching the updates - thankfully I've got Blood & Glory the next weekend.

On 11/13/2016 at 1:01 AM, Aezeal said:

It's not a very good spell except against low bravery armies that is true. Not sure if it would work against Bravery 10 even if you build a list on reducing bravery. Has anyone tried cobbling together such a list?

Ask and ye shall receive.

The trick is getting enough order units in play that reduce enemy bravery in a "flat" way,  rather than in battleshock phase alone. Also, the goal is to make the damage from primal terror better than 2 mortal wounds to a single unit (since arcane bolt on average will do 2 mortal wounds to single unit).

Assuming bravery 6 (the average bravery of most units in AoS), Drycha would need to roll a 5 to do a single mortal wound to every unit within 10". 

I've looked at this problem a number of different ways. Based on what I can tell, the skeleton list would look something like this:

Leaders
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Battlemage (100) (light)
Battlemage (100) (dark)

Units
Spite-Revenants x 5 (100)

Behemoths
Kharibdyss (200)

War Machines

Battalions
Outcasts (40)

Scenery

Total: 1120/2000

As I said, only 920 pts, so it's a "skeleton list". It would probably work best as an addition to a general ORDER army, which has enough staying power that you wouldn't need a Wildwood in order to take/hold objectives. Likewise, a general ORDER army wouldn't have access to Sylvaneth items/traits anyway, and outcasts don't really need Wyldwoods to be effective. The idea is not only to make primal scream more effective, but also make the most of the units that you would need to take to buff that ability.

The idea would be to have a frontline unit screen the outcasts, (say, a line of liberators or something cheap/resilient) so they can be within 3" during the hero phase. Preferably in a position where the enemy is 8" from a piece of scenery. They wouldn't be able to attack, but their damage output isn't anything special, and you're really using them for their bravery abilities. Drycha can sit behind the screening unit, and since her range is 2" she should be fairly free to attack over her screen without being attacked back. The Kharibdyss will chill in the back a little less than 10" from the front line. 

Since this is essentially a "bait" strategy, you should expect to take the charge. Ideally, you would set this up so that you have a chance at a double turn, but that isn't always possible. So, just in case, you don't get a double turn, but your opponent does, the front-line unit acting as a screen should be strong enough to last at least 2 combat phases.

I have not seen a great deal of units in qualities greater than 10 these days, (save for undead armies, but they're a poor target for this strategy anyway). So your opponent will probably be bringing units at bravery 6 (the most common bravery stat for "battleline" units) or 7 (for elite units). In your hero phase, your Kharibdyss can lower the bravery of a unit by -1; ideally you would choose the scarier of whatever your up against, so I would guess everything on your frontline will be at bravery 5. The average wounds for spells and battalion abilities would be as follows:

All units within 8"
Outcast battalion:  2D6-5 mortal wounds 
Drycha's Primal Scream: D6-3 mortal wounds

One unit
Battlemage's Soul Steal: (D6+7)-(D6+5) 

If you roll well (not amazingly, but well), you can reasonably expect to cause 7 mortal wounds to everything within 8" and another 5 mortal wounds to an additional unit. With 3-4 units in range (not that hard if you're screening unit is 6-8" across) you can expect to drop 26-33 mortal wounds in total in a single hero phase. The "maximum damage" you could do with 3-4 units (all base bravery 6) would be 43-53 mortal wounds. However, those types of roles are very unlikely without a virgin sacrifice to the dice gods.

This is of course nothing to say for the subsequent, shooting/combat/battleshock phase. (I might add that battleshock would be particularly nasty, due to the spites)

If you wanted to work this into an "all sylvaneth army", it might look like this:

Leaders
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Branchwraith (100)

Units
Dryads x 20 (240)
Dryads x 20 (240)
Dryads x 10 (120)
Dryads x 10 (120)

Behemoths
Kharibdyss (200)

War Machines

Battalions
Outcasts (40)
Dreadwood Wargrove (100)
Winterleaf Wargrove (100)

Scenery

Total: 1940/2000

I opted to drop the battlemages, (since the deathmage is lackluster without the Kharibdyss and the lightmage for support) Still, with average rolls and a similar set-up, this configuration can be expected to drop 18-24 mortal wounds in the Hero phase with decent rolls. If you split the outcasts into two groups of two, and have a similar combat you add another 12-16 mortal wounds to that total, bringing the total to 30-40 mortal wounds spreadout over 6-8 units. (again, not counting shooting combat or battleshock.)

A word about the list above. This is a "high-risk high-reward strategy" and looks very different than our standard set-up of "Gnarlroot, Treelord Ancient stomp spam, or Kurnoth hunter spam". I opted for the dreadwood wargrove for the mobility and the ability to add an extra unit of outcasts, guaranteeing enough resiliency for "fear the forest kin" ability. In this set up, you could easily set up two units of outcasts on two separate objectives, thereby doubling the damage output from the outcast battalions abilities. 

If you wanted something more traditional, you could cut the dreadwood wargrove battalion, the kharibdyss and one unit of spites, giving you an extra 460 points to add into the list. More than enough for a TLA, a hurricanum, or two units of hunters and another hero.  

-F

Wraithstone is only for battleshock, but other bravery debuffs stack (as far as I can tell). Wraithstone would work in the subsequent battleshock phase however, and stack with whatever bravery debuffs are already applied.

Incidentally, after a turn that nasty, I'd be stunned if anything stuck around. 

On another note:

I brought Alarielle to a 1500 points game. I'd never played her and my opponent didn't want to play 2000 points so I'd warned him I'd be bringing big monsters (since I usually bring treelord ancients this could only mean one thing really). My opponent understood what I said and brought highelves with a archmage on dragon and a dragonseer..... it was not pretty.

He moved his dragons into my charge range in his first turn (I gave that to him). I got the double turn and even though I missed all the D6 damage shooting from Alarielle and the TLA and only got 1 x 5 damage attack through per turn I still totally destroyed those 2 dragons. Alarielle's spell metamorphosis is REALLY nasty (especially when you roll 6 and 4 in both magic phases.... hard to dispel and even with average dice that would be 2x 5 mortal wounds... and I got 13 mortal wounds from those 2 spells.. then 2 arcane bolts on top of that.. and the TLA's attacks) Alarielle actually couldn't even charge the 2nd dragon in my 2nd turn (large base and couldn't move near the damn thing due to having to stay 3" out of the way of some swordmasters) so she killed 10 swordmasters that turn.  He'd done maybe 4-5 damage to her and that was healed right away (2x D3 healing took care of it and I didn't even have to use regrowth which I was packing too).

So after 2 of my turns (and only one of his) he was down 2 dragons and 10 swordmasters (he still had 20 swordmasters, a loremaster and a mage on steed left) he shook my hand and made me promise never to bring her again unless he asked for it :D.

Interesting. Having her get the drop on enemy big monsters, especially ones with bad (5+ saves) isn't the best test of her value. I agree that the spell is very strong and comboes well with Throne of Vines.

The Dragons should have sat back (if necessary on the backline) and let you come to them, then counterpunch.

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:40 PM, Nico said:

Interesting. Having her get the drop on enemy big monsters, especially ones with bad (5+ saves) isn't the best test of her value. I agree that the spell is very strong and comboes well with Throne of Vines.

The Dragons should have sat back (if necessary on the backline) and let you come to them, then counterpunch.

I know.... I said in a wondering tone: you are running towards me?? but he didn't take the hint :D

So I played this list

Tlancient
Durthu
Bw
Celestial hurricanum
2 x kurnoth w bow
1 xKurnoth w scythe
2x 10 dryads
5 tree rev
Gnarlroot
Free spirits

I played against a thunderquake + carnosaur seraphon list
It's been a bloodshed
I killed everything in two turns, he didn't touch anything
Felt bad for him actually, we then swapped our armies, I did stand a lil longer but there was no way to win
So unbalanced I didn't know it was possible

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Gengis137 said:

Hope the new handbook's gonna change the meta game cus seraphon are just over nerfed I think ^^

Well your list is about the best we Sylvs can bring.. not sure about the Seraphon list.

Seraphon without chaff are going to struggle against alpha strikes.

Thiunderquake is weak if you read the rules - buffs only happen in combat phase not all the time.

The Luminark could be a good option - park it behind the Dryad line, then get it up on the Balewind - cover save and good range on it's nice spell and longer range than the Hurricanum. Also ward save for you.

8 hours ago, Gengis137 said:

So I played this list

Tlancient
Durthu
Bw
Celestial hurricanum
2 x kurnoth w bow
1 xKurnoth w scythe
2x 10 dryads
5 tree rev
Gnarlroot
Free spirits

I played against a thunderquake + carnosaur seraphon list
It's been a bloodshed
I killed everything in two turns, he didn't touch anything
Felt bad for him actually, we then swapped our armies, I did stand a lil longer but there was no way to win
So unbalanced I didn't know it was possible

What would you remove to make in 2000 points?

Keeping in mind you still need a Household Battalion at 20 points to be able to field the Gnarlroot Wargrove.

Archived