AoS 2 - Legion of Blood Discussion

RuneBrush

3 hours ago, Foxjoru said:

Have seen this battalion actually, you can take hexwraiths in the army anyway can't you does it have to be as allies? Could be a cheaper way of getting that second artifact 🤔 Hexwraiths being summonable is a nice plus for gravesite use too I guess! 

If you ally in a battalion, all the units in the battalion plus the battalion cost itself has to come from your ally points allowance, so even though you can take Hexwraiths natively, you still have to ally them in.

Be aware that also means those Hexwraiths don't benefit from your allegiance abilities like Deathless Minions, Invigorating Aura or The Unquiet Dead.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Foxjoru said:

The other rationale for Vhordrai was using his CA on the occasions my Bloodknights are stuck in a combat with like 1-2 models I could have them delete them in the hero phase to free them up to charge down the next thing? Do you think that would work?

Sadly no, that's not a possibility.  Vhordrai's CA  can only target a Hero, which Bloodknights are not. That'd be insanely powerful, to be fair. I have been playing around with 2-dragon lists for a while, now, and I can tell you that Vhordrai CA almost never comes up in any game. The reason is that AoS is an objective game and LoB is, exception made for very niche builds, an elite faction, meaning that you have to spread out quite thin and far to control objectives. If you have Vhordrai and the VLoZD (the obvious prime target for Vhordrai CA!) within 14" of each other, chances are you are doing something wrong. You take Vhordrai not because of the lance/rend in LoB (because with the +1 to every melee attack, the regular VLoZD is factually better), nor because of its spell (which he can only cast on himself - a massive pain in the neck), you take him because of the 6 mortal wounds flat he can do. 

Now, the Dolorous Guard option. Yes, it's good - I used it with great success in the past, but those were the glorious days of the Ethereal Amulet, which, in conjunction with the DG protection, made your VLoZD virtually un-killable. The problem is the points. The hex wraiths are not that useful, as they have to stay close to your VLoZD to offer him protection, so you are moving around with an insane blob worth 820 points. That's too much. For that price, you can almost get two VLoZD. Sure, your general won't be that durable, but if you are going to invest 820 in one basket you don't have many points to invest into summonable units to bring back in the first place. Overall, the DG is still an option, but it's not as good an option as it used to be and it did always suffered from suboptimal board control.

you can take hexwraiths in the army anyway can't you does it have to be as allies?

Yes, they are allies - as the battalion is an battalion from an ally faction. This has been FAQ'd very clearly. It means you cannot bring them back or heal them via the gravesites, but you still heal them via Deathly Invocation, as they are still Death models. Vile Transference also work with them.

Could be a cheaper way of getting that second artifact 🤔 Hexwraiths being summonable is a nice plus for gravesite use too I guess! 

No sir. No gravesites for allied Hexwraiths! You do get an extra artefact, and again, in the good old days I use to run an Ethereal Amulet and a Gryphfeather charm. While I'm saying this I feel dirty. Two VLoZD running around with very little to stop them - glorious. Now, the double artefact for LoB is still quite nice. One VLoZD gets the Orb, your general gets the Garments. You send the one with the Orb against the nastiest enemy hero, and leave your general to chill on his permanent mystic shield - there are worst things in life...

7 hours ago, Honk said:

And on the topic of being stuck in combat... retreat is an option!

It most definitely is. I just wanted to add that if you're keen on vampires Soulblight has the perfect solution to this, in the form of the Misty Form command trait. Nasty stuff. I never quite understood how to win games consistently with Soulblight, and I think their hitting power and speed (which was their main reason to be decent) is now so out of touch with respect to the rest of the game that it makes the faction very hard to play.