Moonclan Bust paint blog.

Ben

Hi all,

Not too long ago I asked about how one goes about winning a golden demon. 

In that thread I was told that there is no shortcut and you just need to practice, I think that is both true and false. 

I'll expand on that a bit. 

Ive picked up this model to make a start on learning some advanced painting techniques. I started by going online and looking up tips on where to go with it (Hack) and not only what techniques I should try but how to learn and execute them (also a hack)

I even bought a pre-primed and shaded model! 

By just spending an hour looking at images and reading a few blog posts I already feel like I'm miles ahead of where I was when I started my planning  

Next up is the practice part. 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I have no plans to enter this into GD, that's a distant goal at the moment. But I am certainly aiming for it to be my best painted model yet. 

So far I've spent less than 10 mins with brush in hand. I'll try and track my time throughout the project. 

Aim for the stars, I think entering a GD is a nice motivation to work for that 200% of you skill. I haven't done it yet but i did enter few on line competitions, best I was second to last but still this are my best painted miniatures and I did learn a lot.

So go for it....

9 hours ago, cb_rex said:

Awesome, this thing is super cool, are you going to do some freehand on the hood? Checks? Dags? Something else?

Not sure yet. Still deciding on colours

I managed to get in another 10 mins tonight (probably not even 10 TBH)

Druchii Voilet shade painted into the recesses.  It's very hot tonight so it dries super fast and I managed to do a few layers in a very short time.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Another 5 mins in. 

Paints so far:

Warboss green base

Shade the recess with Waaagh! flesh 

Highlight with Skarsnik Green.

Druchii Purple in the deep shade

Cassandra Yellow on one of the warts and the eye and ear recess.  Only 1 wart as I wanted to see how it went on and how it dried. Looks ok but doesn't really show up on the pics. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If you wanted the pimples to really stand out, you could base them brown and highlight them all the way up through cream and then white, THEN put a yellow glaze on them. It would look really disgusting!

I think with a model of this size you can spend time really blending things up with multiple layers of things like glazes to really get an impressive result.

Nice work so far though! Naturally as it's a Moonclan Grot, I'm a huge fan.

Latest progress. 

I'm hitting 3x 10-15 min sessions a day. 

I added Carroburg Crimson around the eyes. The purple looked good but didn't achieve the bloodshot look enough. 

I based and shaded the gums so I can finish the lips without worry of messiness later. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Really cool way to improve your painting! It's looking great!

On a side note, that David Soper bust is bananas! I didn't realise that it wasn't an oil painting until the third picture.

The eyes are what get me. They look so real it's almost unsettling.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Archived