Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

3 hours ago, Siorra said:

What I don't understand is how everyone raves about Lightning Chariot with it's limited range yet no one's taking Vexillor's to do the same with unlimited range. I know it's once per game and a higher points cost, but dropping 10 liberators behind an enemy objective makes people panic and leave themselves vulnerable. Has worked for me on a number of occaisions. We are playing an objective game afterall.

Think of it this way: for the price of a Vexillor, you could take two Relictors, both with Lightning Chariot, and get two chances at that roll every round (giving it a 75% success ratio), and still have useful heroes to heal or to mortal wounds.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Vexillor has a place. 24" teleport with LC is amazing, but board-wide with Vex is better. Additionally, you have to basically hug the Relictor/Veritant to use Lightning Chariot while the Vexillor can pick any SCE unit anywhere on the table and put them anywhere else. 

This distinction is really useful for something like Hammerstrike - Lightning Chariot can get you to the enemy's frontline with a chance to fail, but the Vexillor can get those Prosecutors to the enemy's backline 100% of the time. He also can take the Banner that heals nearby units, which is a pretty useful tool. 

When you have something like Hammerstrike that relies entirely on getting the Prosecutor delivery to the right place at the right time, a 60pt increase to a Vex is not a completely bad idea.

So advice needed. My Aetherstrike list looks like this:

Lord-Castellant

Knight-Venator 

Knight-Azyros

Judicators 

Judicators 

Liberators 

Hurricane Raptors

Longstrikes x9

Aetherwings 

Aetherwings 

Protectors

Aetherstrike 

(sorry about formatting, on my phone) 

Leaving 80 points. Relictor is the easy choice, but that leaves the list pretty vulnerable to Skryre shenanigans. 2 Gryph Hounds fit instead, but LC is super useful for movement. To fit both I have to cut the Longstrikes to 6, but then I lose a lot of punch from the Aetherstrike abilities. 

What do you think is the best use of those points? 

Sidebar, they showed off a campaign reward for firestorm that if you gave it to neave alongside a loremaster buff, her own formation, bless weapons, and any form of additional +1 to hit she'd do roughly 23 damage to a 3+ save hero. And yeah, that' AFTER saves. Against 4+ save she'd kill 2 bloodthirsters in a single round with damage left over. (+1 to hit, +1 to wound, +1 damage)

10 hours ago, Requizen said:

So advice needed. My Aetherstrike list looks like this:

Lord-Castellant

Knight-Venator 

Knight-Azyros

Judicators 

Judicators 

Liberators 

Hurricane Raptors

Longstrikes x9

Aetherwings 

Aetherwings 

Protectors

Aetherstrike 

(sorry about formatting, on my phone) 

Leaving 80 points. Relictor is the easy choice, but that leaves the list pretty vulnerable to Skryre shenanigans. 2 Gryph Hounds fit instead, but LC is super useful for movement. To fit both I have to cut the Longstrikes to 6, but then I lose a lot of punch from the Aetherstrike abilities. 

What do you think is the best use of those points? 

I think the list sort of writes itself now, I would always run the Relictor hes just too useful compared to any other use of  the 80pts.  It helps getting  first turn Hero phase shooting by LCing the Azyros into range. I had considered dropping the Protectors to get another Relictor  and some Skinks but I think they are just to valuable.

What do you think about my Vanguard Justicar Conclave List? 

Leaders

220p

Lord-Celestant on Dracoth

General
Artefact: Fang of Dracothian Command Trait: Staunch Defenders

Exceptional Trait: Keen Clawed

Upgrade: Sigmarite Thundershield x1 Weapon: Lightning Hammer

Judicators 160pts
Quantity: 5
Upgrade: Judicator Prime x1

Upgrade: Shockbolt bow x1

Weapon: Skybolt Bow

Judicators 160pts

Judicators 160pts

Warscroll Battalions

Vanguard Justicar Conclave 110pts

Other Units

Aetherwings 60pts

Unit Quantity: 3

Aetherwings 60pts

Aetherwings 60pts

Fulminators 480pts

Unit Quantity: 4

Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows 160pts

Role:Other Unit
Quantity: 3
Upgrade: Raptor-Prime x1

Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows 180pts

1990 Total

Hello chaps. I'm considering venturing into stormcast and was considering a list something like this:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
Neave Blacktalon (120)
Lord-Relictor (80)
Knight-Azyros (80)
Knight-Heraldor (120)

Battleline
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline (Lord Aquilor General)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline (Lord Aquilor General)

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (360)
6 x Vanguard-Palladors (440)

Battalions
Blacktalon's Shadowhammers (160)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

I've mainly played sylvaneth up to this point, so not sure on how the above would work. Think it'd struggle against hordes, but could be entertaining. 

Any comments would be great. 

Played Duality of Death (tbh I think I got lucky with the scenario roll here) against Fyreslayers and won. Close game but I like 30x Vulkite Berserkers as allies.

Fyreslayers had 70 berserkers and 30 auric hearthguard and some tunneling. My own vulkites helped block the tunnel threat a bit.

My list

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560) - Celestine Hammer - Mirrorshield
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (80) - Lightning Chariot
Knight-Venator (120)
Units
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330) - Warpicks & Slingshields
5 x Judicators (160) -Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100) -Warhammers & shields
2 x Fulminators (240)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
Reinforcement Points (0)
Total: 1970 / 2000

Knight venator whiffed almost everything but the threat of the venator may have been worth it still.

57 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Played Duality of Death (tbh I think I got lucky with the scenario roll here) against Fyreslayers and won. Close game but I like 30x Vulkite Berserkers as allies.

Fyreslayers had 70 berserkers and 30 auric hearthguard and some tunneling. My own vulkites helped block the tunnel threat a bit.

My list

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560) - Celestine Hammer - Mirrorshield
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Venator (120)
Units
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330) - Warpicks & Slingshields
5 x Liberators (100) -Warhammers & shields
2 x Fulminators (240)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
Reinforcement Points (0)
Total: 1970 / 2000

Knight venator whiffed almost everything but the threat of the venator may have been worth it still.

Being in the other side of this game I think this list is very good in particular in that scenario. There are only two ways for me to win. Either take first turn and surround the objectives with Vulkites so the dragon can't reach it or go second and try to kill the dragon with the impact hits from the vulkites and one round with rend -2 due to the rune. Both strategies has problems but maybe the first one has a higher rate of succes but I tried to go for the kill... and failed. ?

But feedback om the list. The vulkites solved a lot of problem by proparly screening the army from first turn alpha strike. But it felt that the damage output is a bit to low to move me from objectives and scenarios where bodies count so I think that could be a problem against horde armies. Maybe add more hitty stuff instead of the venetor and gryph hound. Venetor + gryphound + Liberator instead of judicators buys more fulminators for example. But I dont know, it's a strong list.

23 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Being in the other side of this game I think this list is very good in particular in that scenario. There are only two ways for me to win. Either take first turn and surround the objectives with Vulkites so the dragon can't reach it or go second and try to kill the dragon with the impact hits from the vulkites and one round with rend -2 due to the rune. Both strategies has problems but maybe the first one has a higher rate of succes but I tried to go for the kill... and failed. ?

But feedback om the list. The vulkites solved a lot of problem by proparly screening the army from first turn alpha strike. But it felt that the damage output is a bit to low to move me from objectives and scenarios where bodies count so I think that could be a problem against horde armies. Maybe add more hitty stuff instead of the venetor and gryph hound. Venetor + gryphound + Liberator instead of judicators buys more fulminators for example. But I dont know, it's a strong list.

Yes the other scenarios would have been much harder for me. 

I like the idea of 2 more fulminators actually. 

Another crazy idea is no vulkites (bad) but a frigate with 10 arkanaut company to embark and then lightning chariot the lot. 

I like the things the vulkites solve in a lot of of lists though...

Im just gonna have to paint some! 

Hi i currently have a Stormcast force of 1640 points of painted models Consisting of

Lord castellant
Lord Celestant: Staunch defender and mirror shield
Lord Relictor: chariot or blessed weapons

10 Liberators with sword and shield and 2 grandblades
10 Liberators with hammer and shield and 2 grandhammers
5 Judicators bowss and shockbolt
5 Decimators
5 Protectors
5 Retributors with 2 starsoul maces
3 Longstrike raptors

the question is what should i add in next, my idea of this whole force is a shield wall supported by small amount of ranged and my paladins. I have 1 unassembled box of paladins and i'm not sure what to build from them. I'm thinking of 5 more protectors to my protector unit to stab people from behind the liberators, or 5 more retributors (tho i could just buy cheap retributors from ebay rather than use the paladin box) should retributors then be in 2 units of 5 rather than big 10 since not all of them get to fight usually with 10 40mm bases. Retributors would leave me with 140 points to spare and so i could get a extra hero or prosecutors with javelins and gryph hound. Protectors would leave me with 160 i could take some 120 hero and gryph hound or prosecutors with javelins and aetherwings.

What paladin should i assembles from the box and add to my army and how should i spend the remaining 140 or 160 points respectively.

24 minutes ago, Requizen said:

When you have a Lord Celestant on Stardrake and a Lord Castellant, who do you put the Mirrorshield on? Gut says Lord Celestant but logically you want to keep his support safe. 

Of course it goes on the Stardrake. The Castellant's buff honestly isn't that big of a deal after turn 1 thanks to staunch defender. You mostly just use him to keep the stardrake at 2+ rerollable when he charges and hope people waste shots on him (2+ save with 6 wounds isn't exactly fragile in AoS) while your drake+ dracoths eat faces.

Honestly, the order of relic priority is 

1. Mirrorshield

2. Silvered Sigmarite

3. Whatever the best mathematical DPS relic is.

4. Quicksilver potion

5. Any other relic given to the stardrake

6. Fury brand

7. Defensive relic for Castellant.

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

When you have a Lord Celestant on Stardrake and a Lord Castellant, who do you put the Mirrorshield on? Gut says Lord Celestant but logically you want to keep his support safe. 

Mirrorshield is on stardrake in case there are  ranged units doing mw's on 6+ in the enemy force. With enough to hit bonuses those will kill the drake regardless of the 1+ re-roll save and any bonuses. 

Then with the vulkites I'm able to conga line out quite an area denying bubble to prohibit alpha strike shooting on the Castellant. 

The Castellant will be prio 1 for most opponents but the 2x Relictors healing storms will do such beautiful things. Along with LC ofc! 

On 21.9.2017 at 8:57 PM, Requizen said:

Yeah I'm gonna assume this was unintentional. Allegiance Abilities came out in a time before Allies, so it likely was not designed with allies in mind.

For instance: looking again at those 30 allied Handgunners with an General. If you have another Priest give them Bless weapons, they'll be hitting on a 2+, getting extra shots on a 3+. 

Take that allied detachment, take 4 Relictors (two Bless Weapons, two Lightning Chariots). Enjoy having one of the most brutal shooting units in the entire game. It makes Aetherstrike Longstrikes look like a joke. 30 shots = 25 hits + (20 extra shots = 16.6 extra hits) = 41.6 hits = 34.7 wounds at -1.

11 wounds on a 2+ model, 17 wounds on a 3+ model, 23 wounds on a 4+ model. See that Thundertusk? No you don't. Nagash is dead or alive with a single wound (unless buffed to 2+ ignore Rend, but then you just kill Neferata). 

How's that for an Alpha Strike? Of course, you need 400 points of Allies + 360 points of Relictors to do it and the unit dies immediately afterwards to any sort of counterattack, so ups and down.

Now, that combination would be really devastating, bordering on overkill B|  (also, there will probably be lots of additional kills due to battleshock)...

The total cost of 720 points is one thing, using 5 out of 6 hero slots at 2000 points is another. And 4 Relictors (two Bless Weapons, two Lightning Chariots) are really needed to reliably pull it off.

How about taking 20 Irondrakes plus two  Relictors with Lightning Chariot instead? (560 points and 2 hero slots). The damage output is not quite as insane, but the Irondrakes are much more resilient and more self-sufficient than the handgunners.

On 9/23/2017 at 2:25 PM, ToB said:

What do you think about my Vanguard Justicar Conclave List? 

Leaders

220p

Lord-Celestant on Dracoth

General
Artefact: Fang of Dracothian Command Trait: Staunch Defenders

Exceptional Trait: Keen Clawed

Upgrade: Sigmarite Thundershield x1 Weapon: Lightning Hammer

Judicators 160pts

Judicators 160pts

Judicators 160pts

Warscroll Battalions

Vanguard Justicar Conclave 110pts

Other Units

Aetherwings 60pts

Aetherwings 60pts

Aetherwings 60pts

Fulminators 480pts

Unit Quantity: 4

Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows 160pts

1990 Total

I think that the 290 points your wasting on formations and aetherwings would be better served adding more units. I  don't really understand what the point of the Celestant is.  Also you're wasting a relic AND missing out on very important buffs from the Castellant and Relictor.  

It...needs some iteration. 

3 hours ago, Requizen said:

@Lez:

For your Stardrake + 4 Fulminator list, how do you deal with MW armies like Thundertusks and Tzeentch? I'm interested in trying it but am worried about just losing the big expensive units right away if I can't get an Armor Save.

Destruction move won't be seen as often with BCR. You'll see BCR allegiance so you might have freezing tailwinds (3" move). This means thundertusk range can be played with. They've an 8" move and then their Frost-wreathed ice attack is 18".

Deploy smart and you can reasonably expect to knock the necessary wounds off them to bring the 6 mw down to d3. Depending on how many thundertusks they have, how much ranged you bring, how well they're bubbled and finally charge luck - you might nullify them very early.

Tzeentch I don't know about as I've not had the pleasure (?) of playing them yet. You can think of list options or ways around skyfires (which will be less of an issue now perhaps with new points cost) but the spells are another thing.

As far as I understand even if you take gryph hounds you're in trouble with say a changehost.  You'll have pinks or a herald swapping in for the changeling wherever the opponent wants and then the Lord of Change. Probably a balewind vortex for other casters.

DoT is probably one of the worst SCE matchups.

5 hours ago, Requizen said:

@Lez:

For your Stardrake + 4 Fulminator list, how do you deal with MW armies like Thundertusks and Tzeentch? I'm interested in trying it but am worried about just losing the big expensive units right away if I can't get an Armor Save.

I am allying in an archmage for elemental shield its 18" 6+ save after save that also covers mortal wounds.  It may not be enough but Im going to give it a go when I finish building my paladins.

Edit: Theoretically they also stack

More of a hobby question then gameplay, but hey, it's about Stormcast! 

Has anyone tried to build two units from the Vanguard-Raptors kit? I'm thTinking of building the Hurricane variant and taking the Longstrike crossbows, some pieces of sprue, misc SCE bits and stick it together to make a Longstrike boltthrower type thing. Then place two de-weaponized Liberators next to it to make a 3-base unit. 

Can it be done? 

Played in a tournament over the long weekend here in Perth Australia. Had 6 games, 21 peoples. Took my aether strike list with 9 long strikes, aquilor and a hurricanum. 2.5k games.

Double skyre battalion won the day and tabled me. Still no idea how to beat that. Gryph hounds help but they come down in hero phase and walk forward to it's super easy for them to play around if they want to.

Also lost to 3 Huskards, 2 Stone horns and grots. Underestimated the amount of healing the huskards put out and was royally screwed by the comet drops in the starstrike scenario. He had his entire army over a 30 inch range with all the big things in a corner. All the comets came down either on top of or in front of him leaving me. He suggested I should have been more aggressive and broken out from the bunker turn one to get in place but I couldnt risk the double turn and 3 Huskards mortal wound attacks.

Next hardest list was 180 goblins, 3 spear chukkas, 2 rock lobbers, 2 10 man wolf riders a few heroes incl shaman and a battalion I cant remember the rules. Narrowly won by scooting long strikes around the table to pick off artillery crew after they shot my hurricanum off the board (out of cover) turn one.

Placed 4th over all after the above lists. Would say they were the only real competitive lists. Although a fireslayers list was doing very well but I didn't play against them.

Very happy I didnt run into any tzeentch but I definitely copped my fair share of mortal wounds from the double skyre list.

First tournament ever, but I think aetherstrike is still a strong contender though I do think it would struggle at 2k or less. The aquilor and relictor are key for being able to capture objectives. While the hurricanum was awesome and the MW/mystic shield output amazing, I think a second relictor, a battlemage plus maybe protectors would be the way to go.

You can do an Aetherstrike list with an Aquilor at 2k, it just plays very differently from the one we've been discussing on here:

Lord-Aquilor: Staunch Defender, Mirrorshield
Knight-Azyros: Lantern of the Tempest
Knight-Venator
Lord-Relictor

Judicators
Judicators
Vanguard-Hunters
Vanguard-Hunters

Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrikes x3
Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrikes x6
Aetherwings
Aetherwings
Gryph-Hound
Gryph-Hound

Aetherstrike Force

2000/2000

(Could probably mess with the Artifacts a bit - I think you could also do a Mirrorshield on the Azyros and Armor of Silvered Sigmarite on the Aquilor.)

This is more decentralized since the big unit of Longstrikes is only 6 instead of 9, so you get less benefit out of the Battalion Bonuses, but they're still worthwhile I think. It will end up playing much more cagey - only the Aquilor and Hunters are ok being in melee, so you have to take advantage of your range and mobility to keep the opponent at a distance until they're severely weakened.

I'm so up and down on the Aetherstrike Force lately. When you get off the bonuses for extra shooting, it feels very strong. But, if you don't get the hero phase shooting and they mitigate your retaliatory shooting by weakening and not killing units, wouldn't you rather just have the extra units that 180 points can get you? You are getting less drops and an extra Artifact sure, but does that outweigh the extra bodies/shooting/etc that you can use the points on? Look at this list:

Lord-Aquilor: Staunch Defenders, Mirrorshield
Knight-Venator
Lord-Relictor
Lord-Veritant

Judicators
Judicators
Judicators
Vanguard-Hunters
Vanguard-Hunters

Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrikes x6
Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrikes x3
Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricanes

1980/2000

More shooting, more bodies. And I even sorta gimped myself by taking a Veritant instead of Relictor since that's the models I have. Another unit of Judicators and the Hurricanes is a pretty solid amount of shooting added in, and you still have mobility with Lord of the Azyrite Hurricane and two sources of Lightning Chariot.

Just food for thought.

5 minutes ago, Requizen said:

You can do an Aetherstrike list with an Aquilor at 2k, it just plays very differently from the one we've been discussing on here:

(Could probably mess with the Artifacts a bit - I think you could also do a Mirrorshield on the Azyros and Armor of Silvered Sigmarite on the Aquilor.)

This is more decentralized since the big unit of Longstrikes is only 6 instead of 9, so you get less benefit out of the Battalion Bonuses, but they're still worthwhile I think. It will end up playing much more cagey - only the Aquilor and Hunters are ok being in melee, so you have to take advantage of your range and mobility to keep the opponent at a distance until they're severely weakened.

I'm so up and down on the Aetherstrike Force lately. When you get off the bonuses for extra shooting, it feels very strong. But, if you don't get the hero phase shooting and they mitigate your retaliatory shooting by weakening and not killing units, wouldn't you rather just have the extra units that 180 points can get you? You are getting less drops and an extra Artifact sure, but does that outweigh the extra bodies/shooting/etc that you can use the points on? Look at this list:

More shooting, more bodies. And I even sorta gimped myself by taking a Veritant instead of Relictor since that's the models I have. Another unit of Judicators and the Hurricanes is a pretty solid amount of shooting added in, and you still have mobility with Lord of the Azyrite Hurricane and two sources of Lightning Chariot.

Just food for thought.

It seems like a list that you can get wise against - more so than some of the other OP lists. I also don't think it should do so well in a horde-y meta.

I like the lists and have always wanted to try the hunters over my usual liberators. I'm no 100% sold on them for the price of a relictor across two squads when compared to 2 liberator units.

I still think the list just struggles to put bodies on objectives. Does 180 give you enough bodies to warrant the 6 or so extra shooting attacks you get across a game from things dying or hero phase shots?

Archived