Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DGH875 said:

No roll to wound? Doesn't really say in the rules? They still get a save tho.

The point is that the rule only requires that you hit the unit. You don't have to wound it for the battalion bonus to kick in. For the Star-Fated Arrow to deal damage, you have to roll successfully to wound. 

Hey Guys

Can't seem to find any clarification on whether or not I would be able to use both of the Knight-Heraldor's battlehorn (Onwards to glory and Thunderblast) abilities in the same round?

Can't see why not, since there's no restriction mentioned on the abilities them selves - nor are they in the same phase regardless.

Hope some of you SCE-pros can shed some light on the matter.

On 26/04/2017 at 8:54 AM, Olincay said:

Out of curiosity anyone have any info on how stormcast did at SCGT? Lists, placings ect. 

Hi Olincay,

I went to SCGT and took stormcast. My list was a hammerstrike force variant and I went 3-3 coming 101/192.

I'm not sure if anyone came higher but I've see Marc Wilson post in another thread saying he came 27/192 with an aetherstrike force.

My sense from the weekend (anecdotally) was that stormcast in general was thoroughly mid-tier at SCGT with the aetherstrike variant coming closest to the top.

Side note - playing 6 games of hammerstrike force in a weekend is quite boring.

4 hours ago, M J Gherardi said:

Hi Olincay,

I went to SCGT and took stormcast. My list was a hammerstrike force variant and I went 3-3 coming 101/192.

I'm not sure if anyone came higher but I've see Marc Wilson post in another thread saying he came 27/192 with an aetherstrike force.

My sense from the weekend (anecdotally) was that stormcast in general was thoroughly mid-tier at SCGT with the aetherstrike variant coming closest to the top.

Side note - playing 6 games of hammerstrike force in a weekend is quite boring.

Shame to hear buddy, as long as you enjoyed your games it's never a total loss.

mind if i ask the composition of your list? What paladins extra heroes ect.

23 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

How does the aetherwing charge blocking work ? I can see it procs in the opponents charge phase. If successful does it prevent the whole charge or do they charge the aetherwings instead of the raptors ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can move your aetherwings 2 d6 when thr enemy charges your vanguard raptors,  but the aether wings must stay within 12 of the raptors.

I've heard conflicting reports saying you can move the birds into combat with this move or simply placing them to block the enemy charing the raptors. 

You can move your aetherwings 2 d6 when thr enemy charges your vanguard raptors,  but the aether wings must stay within 12 of the raptors.
I've heard conflicting reports saying you can move the birds into combat with this move or simply placing them to block the enemy charing the raptors. 

I get that

What I mean is, unit of skellies nominate to charge the raptors. My aetherwings meet the criteria and successfully get in the way. Is the charge of the skellies successful but instead of charging the raptors, they charge the aetherwings instead ... or do the aetherwings getting in the way prevent the whole charge (because they skellies are unable to get to within 1/2 inch of the raptors) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's at the beginning of the opponent's charge phase, so before the Skeletons elect to charge. Now the Skeletons can try to charge, but if the Aetherwings made it within 3", they can't (because they're in combat), and if they positioned in front of the Skeletons, they have to go around the Aetherwings.

On 2017-4-26 at 8:54 AM, Olincay said:

Out of curiosity anyone have any info on how stormcast did at SCGT? Lists, placings ect. 

Matt Hinton was playing them and finished 17th I think - don't know what list. Les finished @20th with a Stardrake and Fulminators. Sam Davies was having good success on day 1 with Wardens of the Realmgate, but fell away. But yeah, overall the assertion is correct - there were a lot of SE players and most were clustered around the upper middle. I still think some iteration of Atherstrike is the best list currently (and easiest to play).

8 hours ago, Olincay said:

mind if i ask the composition of your list? What paladins extra heroes ect.

No worries, I had a great time. All 6 of my opponents this year were stellar chaps.

The list I took is below. I ran a hammerstrike of 15 paladins and 9 prosecutors. This was backed up by a 'back line' of 10 judicators, 10 liberators and my heroes. My strategy was to do enough damage with the alpha strike to ensure my remaining troops could mop up the last enemies and spread out to score objectives.

I really like the shooting from the prosecutors but let me tell you moving around a unit with 9 pairs of wings is a nightmare. It's impossible to keep these in unit coherency. They should be on bigger bases...

Some might say taking the venator with luckstone/bless weapons cheese is suboptimal. I'd probably agree BUT I found it fun to use and it can be good at taking out those hard to reach war machines or squishy characters.

IMG_2120.PNG

30 minutes ago, M J Gherardi said:

the venator with luckstone/bless weapons cheese

Did they rule that this worked? I don't see these two  working togther to produce 2 star fated arrows.

I played CV hammerstrike at my last tournament and really enjoyed it. I only had 3x5 paladins and I didn't use them in a very 'alpha strike' style but brought them down when I felt they'd be of great use defensively or offensively in that area of the table.

So I had this fun game in my head where I was constantly figuring out if my prosecutors would live long enough to deliver another 5 paladins to a crucial area or if I should risk dropping paladins where they'd be less useful and then not have as much impact running elsewhere.

This combined with scions and then lightning chariot meant I kept some opponents on their toes moreso (perhaps) than singular large units of paladins in their face early.

As to whether that is efficient for hammerstrike - that I don't know. I lost 3 and won 2 :P but I am not sure Hammerstrike was the reason for this - I'm still new to playing a bit competitively.

My first game after was against a tournament tailored very nasty death list (I know, people think death aren't great but this list had staying power!) and I only won thanks to keeping prosecutors safe and then lightning charioting them to surprise assault the enemy objective in the last turns.

So I quite like hammerstrike... but I don't use it as a hammer I guess.

7 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

Ha bloody hell. All over that, can't see any disputes other wise ?

Yeah, until GW FAQs it, I'd say you've got a good argument that it works at the least.  It's a lot of investment for a small chance of actually paying off, but...  Long odds or no, having a chance to get through 18 wounds from two shots?  Yikes.

Hey guys I came 42nd with the list below, I'd have loved to have played some of the Tzeetch lists as I think the Stormcasts have a good counter for them. I had 6 great games and had lady fortuna been smiling down on me could have maybe finished higher as my retributors only made 4 charges all tourney (3 were in the last game) and 3 failed charges were Double 1s from 3" away 2 of which would have netted a minor win and a major win (kill treelord ancient with 4 starsouls and full unit and had Celestant +1 buff up, second kill a mourngul with same buffs and full unit) 

stormcasts overall are very strong in the meta and the variety of options available means they can really build decent all comers lists thye do require a lot more thought than a Sunday morning army though! 

IMG_0632.PNG.bb499e97300b5bbcdad82e23134f08c3.PNG

1 hour ago, M J Gherardi said:

No worries, I had a great time. All 6 of my opponents this year were stellar chaps.

The list I took is below. I ran a hammerstrike of 15 paladins and 9 prosecutors. This was backed up by a 'back line' of 10 judicators, 10 liberators and my heroes. My strategy was to do enough damage with the alpha strike to ensure my remaining troops could mop up the last enemies and spread out to score objectives.

I really like the shooting from the prosecutors but let me tell you moving around a unit with 9 pairs of wings is a nightmare. It's impossible to keep these in unit coherency. They should be on bigger bases...

Some might say taking the venator with luckstone/bless weapons cheese is suboptimal. I'd probably agree BUT I found it fun to use and it can be good at taking out those hard to reach war machines or squishy characters.

IMG_2120.PNG

Double Relictor is definatey a thing, I've actually considered removing the wings from my prosecutors for that very problem. GW must of had measuring from the model as opposed to the base when they developted those minis.
Having them on bigger bases would be pretty benificial for the hammer strike formation. :D

I don't think using Bless Weapons to get another Star-fated Arrow is a thing. Star fated, arrow is 'Once per battle...' Bless weapons is '...roll another attack'. Since he has a normal attack profile I would this is what is used. This is different from a Judicator with a Shockbolt Bow as that is the only attack on that models profile.

Even so it's very unlikely to go off statistically, even without saves coming into it.

Archived