Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

Finished a tournament yesterday.

Came in joint 9th (of 28 players) which is a nice improvement over my first tournament last year (31st of 36 players) and another best painted army nomination.  2 major wins, 3 minor losses (with decent secondary mission - custom extra goals for this tournament - achievement rate).

So happy about that but better yet every game was against an army I hadn't played much (or at all) before and every opponent was nice as pie!

Opponents were>

1. Mixed High Aelves Phoenix Guard mixed with shooty shooty / Minor loss
  2. Empire gunline with 4 big wagons / Major win
  3. Sylvaneth Gnarlroot Freespirits / Minor loss
  4. Khorne horde mix / Minor loss
  5. Ironjawz / Major win

The list I took was the celestial vindicator battalion with a few twists:

Castellant

Azyros

Relictor

2 x 5 Judicators

5 Liberators

3 Javelin Prosecutors

5 Retributors

5 Protectors

5 Decimators

2 Tempestors

3 Vanguard Raptors with Longstrike Bows

There were 4 Stormcast players in the top 10. The winning list was stormcast with Skyborne Slayers and the prime.

I liked my list. It felt like there were a lot of options in this list above the hammerstrike component. Having said that perhaps 25 or 30 paladins would make me not need options and finish higher.

Wasn't optimised for Speak with your Swords etc from the battalion but the ONE DROP was the thing I was after mostly and the thing I think is really cool with scions.

I'll be doing battle reports somewhere on the boards in the coming weeks for those interested.

I've already got some ideas for list improvements (if I don't take a completely different list to the next tournament I get time to attend!)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CountryMou3e said:

How did the longstrikes get on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mixed success. Earned their points in maybe 2 of the games. And I lost them due to careless placement in another.

Jury out on them as 3. The threat against enemy buff heroes is real though. Even SC with mirroshields (didn't play any SC this time though).

I might jig list to take 6 and no tempestors. Though they were useful too... in the same way as the raptors, sometimes good and sometimes just okay (and once great thanks to 3 rolls of 6 on dracoth wound rolls).

6 hours ago, Guiltysparc said:

I hear the phrase "one drop" a lot...what does this mean?  Is it related to deployment or something?  It's not a phrase I've heard before in 40k land.

Sorry! I am referring to deployment in battalions. One drop meaning one single (or super) battalion.

I had heard it on podcasts also. Are all units in a battalion deployed at the same time?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You can choose to drop any number of units as your first drop for the Batalion, but all units left over have to be dropped 1 at a time.

10 unit battalion can be dropped as 6, 1, 1, 1, 1 but it cannot be dropped as 6, 2, 2 etc

1 minute ago, Bowlzee said:

You can choose to drop any number of units as your first drop for the Batalion, but all units left over have to be dropped 1 at a time.

10 unit battalion can be dropped as 6, 1, 1, 1, 1 but it cannot be dropped as 6, 2, 2 etc

Indeed, this is handy as I can break up the celestial vindicator overarching battalion and leave just enough single units to let me finish 1 ahead of my opponent. I can also deploy a bunch in the celestial realm so that he really doesn't get the advantage he usually would by seeing where all my battalion goes at once.

Then I get to choose who goes first.

The two games I won I deployed heavily in celestial realm and let my opponent go first actually.

Ah interesting...which part of the rules covers that? In the one game of aos I have played we did deployment totally wrong, lol (we did it like 40k) so the dynamics of alternating deployment are new and interesting to me.

My Aetherstrike List has taken me to first place in 2 local tournaments so far. My record stands at 6-0, all major victories.

I've dropped it down to 9 Longstrikes because 12 is unnecessary, and you need to fit in some gryph hounds and a Heraldor to deal with common meta threats.

The game that stood out the most was against a mixed destruction list that had 3 Huskard on Thundertusk, moonclan grots + fanatics, Frostlord on Stonehorn. I deployed >32" away from his Thundertusks (just in case he got lucky and rolled a 6 on Rampaging Destroyers). I baited him to get in range by placing my judicators in range of his Thundertusks - my Judicators died but the retalation fire killed Thundertusk. I counter-charged his Frostlord with my Aetherwings and forced him to kill them, putting 7 (after halving) wounds on the Frostlord with retaliation fire.

Then on my turn I killed a Thundertusk in the hero phase, another one in the shooting phase, and sacrificed aetherwings in the combat phase to finish off the Frostlord. Dropped liberators and protectors near his objective and forced the Fanatics to come out, killing them with my Protectors before they could swing. He only had 300 points worth of models left at the end of round 1 and conceded.

Aetherstrike Force is maybe the best army in the game

3 hours ago, Caladancid said:

In these new combos for using a Stardrake, what is the incentive to use a LCoSD versus Templar? Is it just for the trait?

Always use the LCoSD. The extra damage vs the drakesworn is nice on it's own and his command trait can be bonkers in the right list but the big thing is the shield. With staunch defender that shield is 100pts by itself.

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

My Aetherstrike List has taken me to first place in 2 local tournaments so far. My record stands at 6-0, all major victories.

I've dropped it down to 9 Longstrikes because 12 is unnecessary, and you need to fit in some gryph hounds and a Heraldor to deal with common meta threats.

The game that stood out the most was against a mixed destruction list that had 3 Huskard on Thundertusk, moonclan grots + fanatics, Frostlord on Stonehorn. I deployed >32" away from his Thundertusks (just in case he got lucky and rolled a 6 on Rampaging Destroyers). I baited him to get in range by placing my judicators in range of his Thundertusks - my Judicators died but the retalation fire killed Thundertusk. I counter-charged his Frostlord with my Aetherwings and forced him to kill them, putting 7 (after halving) wounds on the Frostlord with retaliation fire.

Then on my turn I killed a Thundertusk in the hero phase, another one in the shooting phase, and sacrificed aetherwings in the combat phase to finish off the Frostlord. Dropped liberators and protectors near his objective and forced the Fanatics to come out, killing them with my Protectors before they could swing. He only had 300 points worth of models left at the end of round 1 and conceded.

Aetherstrike Force is maybe the best army in the game

Dude. I think you just sold like 4 boxes of raptors for GW. Imagine if you got sales commission for that.

On a serious note, do you always deploy the entire aetherstrike force at the start and take first turn, or when do you decide to take second turn to gun for that double turn?

One drop means that your army is all within a single Battalion and so it can all be deployed at once (allowing you to finish deploying first which gives choice as to who goes first) - hence "one drop" or "single drop army".

I wholeheartedly agree PJetski's positive comments on Aetherstrike Force.

The Aetherstrike Force is the main reason why I don't use alpha strike assault lists nowadays.

One downside of the Aetherstrike Force, however, is that you suffer difficulties decreasing the number of deployment drops.

Apart from the mandatory winged heroes, judicators, raptors and aetherwings, you have to separately deploy other units.

For example, I bring protectors, fulminators, liberators and prosecutors in addition to Aetherstrike Force.

The roles they serve include objective holding, counter-charging and protection from enemy shooting.

And you can rarely fit these additional units to warscroll battalions, which results in increased number of deployment drops.

This might give you a disadvantage when playing against the most brutal single drop alpha strike shooting lists.

The infamous Clan Skryre warscroll battalion is one of them.

Gryph Hound is a useful tool against Clan Skryre, but bubble wrapping and clumping elite armies is easier said than done. 

Bubble wrapping also tends to yield crucial objectives to Clan Skryre units, if the battleplan involves grabbing multiple objectives scattered around the board.

How should a SCE list with Aetherstrike Force face Clan Skryre?

2 hours ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

How should a SCE list with Aetherstrike Force face Clan Skryre?

Deploy in a corner with Gryph Hounds

If they try deploying within 10" you get to shoot at them with your entire army, which means heavy losses. If they deploy outside of 10" they can't use their Warpfire shots because it's only 8" range.

3 hours ago, CountryMou3e said:

Can we see your list ? Really appreciate that tactic write up too emoji16.png

I posted it a few pages back, but here is an updated version:

aetherstrike 2.0.png

1 hour ago, Guiltysparc said:

I don't have my book handy, what are the requirements for aetherstrike again? Venator, ayzros, 2 juds, 2 raptors, 2 aetherwings?

Yep. That's the minimum. You get retaliatory shot and hero phase shooting.

Hi guys. First time poster.

Taking a 1500 point list to a tournament in a couple of months. I'm not pro at competitive level. The models were chosen for their look as well as theme.

The list is

Lord Aquilor

Unit of 3 Palladors

3 Units of Hunters

The formation of

3 Aetherwings

3 Raptors (2 Hurrican and 1 Longstrike)

That's everything.

Thoughts? Will it cope okay?

Archived