Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

All this talk of alpha striking and the limitations - I think the meta of the future will see Stormcast make more use of repositioning (BETA striking?)

At least, I believe they should.

It offers a bunch more creative lists.

We've the potential for a classic bait and switch against less mobile but tough armies and other armies (so far) with comparable repositioning potential aren't as tough as stormcast.

I am really liking the potential and can't wait to see more people abandon the alpha strike playstyle and instead seek new methods of making the golden nipple boys great.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just picked my order up. A missed opportunity with the warscroll cards. The font size is ludicrously small and nearly all warscrolls take up less than half the card.

Also the tokens seem to be missing many useful buffs. No Mystical Shield token being an example. Do you think the intention is that we write the missing buffs on some of the blank tokens? Any ideas of pens that would easily wipe off (but not so easy that you'd end up with ink all over the table!).

Got my Battletome in hand. Some existing Battalions got units added to them, increasing costs significantly. Lords of the Storm requires more baseline Heroes, Vanguard Wing and Devastation Brotherhood require Judicators now. Stormhosts that require those are even more expensive.

The new Storm Heralds Battalion is by and far my favorite but there's no way to get it built and painted by Adepticon. You want an Alpha Strike? How about a Lord Celestant on Stardrake 3" away on turn 1? He's still not the best in combat but boy howdy is that freaking intimidating.

So, you think they've forgotten about the AoS app? I notice the battletome is available on iBooks and as an ePub on black library already.

They may not update it until the last time zone is available to purchase in physical store. Mobile time zoning is stupid for apps.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I'm sure the battletome is not all doom and groom. If I know the community, they will find some way to brake the army.

Hammerstrike is still good Alpha Strike. Our shooting is still somewhat above average, and our frontline troops are extremely good with buffs and what not, so we can make a good layered army. Our cavalry is also among some of the best heavy cav in the game, though still weak against MWs.

It's a good book. There's a lot of unexplored power that is being ignored or underestimated by people imo.

Any bets on what's going to be the meme Stormhost among the competitive types?

I'm betting either the "swordy" Celestial Vindicators, or "shieldy" Knights Excelsior.  

Personally, I'm leaning towards KE's with Javelin Pro.'s backing the Lib's, though it's cheaper Devastation Bro'hood battalion is way, way worse (& subsequently cheaper than) CV's HammerStrike Force.

Too bad the Tempest Lords & Anvils of Heldenhammer don't have better rules, I like their paint-schemes better . . .

I'm betting either the "swordy" Celestial Vindicators, or "shieldy" Knights Excelsior.  
Personally, I'm leaning towards KE's with Javelin Pro.'s backing the Lib's, though it's cheaper Devastation Bro'hood battalion is way, way worse (& subsequently cheaper than) CV's HammerStrike Force.

Too bad the Tempest Lords & Anvils of Heldenhammer don't have better rules, I like their paint-schemes better . . .

Cheaper? A min Devastation Brotherhood is 920 plus 80 for the Knights Excelsior battalion vs the 800 for a min Hammerstrike plus 80 for Celestial Vindicators.

Devastation Brotherhood requires a unit of Judicators now.

True, true.  Coming right out of the gate @ 1000 points (w/o any BattleLine is tough.)

Do they make you buy Judicators for the Vanguard Wing now too??

I guess I could stop power-gaming & simply see which Stormhost paints up the nicest.  Time painting > time playing, I suppose.

It's a shame almost all the formations are too big to use ( I usually play 1- 1.5k) and how they added units to 'small' battalions like the heros one.

im also a little disappointed with the rules for the new cav; just seems so weak compared to dracoths ( but drac's are strong).

had a game yesterday with new battle tome vs tzeench ( havn't beat them before now).

i use relictor, Libs, javelin prosecutors, unit or drachoths all x2. ( dracoth push list?) 

relictors are buy far the most improved unit, the +1 save command, the healing standard and extra free prayers made this list horrible to face, 2/3+ reroll 1's saves, healing a bunch of wounds and having to reroll 6's to hit my stuff.

The lightning strike isn't bad as a last resort to kill something hiding at the backfield, but relies on a double turn.

my army got stronger, but I feel it's fruststrating and boring for my opponent and I don't feel the need to buy any new units. Bit of an unexpected result. 

Not sure if this has been already mentioned or not, but the new battalion "Aetherstrike Force" is very amazing. It requires knight-azyros, venator, 2 units of Judicators, 2 units of vanguard-raptors, and 2 aetherwing units. 

Its minimum cost is over 1,000pts, but it provides 2 battleline units and Knight-Azyros whose mystic light is rather useful. More importantly, the battalion allows a single unit to make free shooting attack in the hero phase against enemy unit nearby the Azyros or aetherwings. Lastly whenever a unit from the battalion is wiped out, another unit from the same battalion can immediately shoot at the enemy unit responsible for it.

Combined with the aetherwing's amazing ability to disrupt enemy units during their charge phase, the battalion is very offensive and defensive at the same time. For example, if the enemies try to charge seemingly vulnerable judicators and/or raptors, the aetherwings can intercept the charging enemy unit. Should the enemy unit wipe out the fragile aetherwings, your raptor unit can immediately shoot at the said enemy units. Alternatively if the aetherwings miraculously survived until your hero phase, one of your shooty units can shoot that enemy unit right in front of aetherwings. 

I have yet to use this battalion in action - and of course not, because raptors and aetherwings are not even on pre-order yet! - , but I believe this will become staple battalion for those who wishes to use raptors and aetherwings properly.

Guys i really cant see anything positive in the new stormcast tome

a couple of minor situational buffs, but overall stormcast are now weak as ******

really reget buying the tome and now moving on to other order units

I play in a group of fairly compeditive players and found them underpowered now virtually all thier decent tricks are good

They are going to be coming out only for fun fluffy games with close mates

16 minutes ago, Fellclaw01 said:

a couple of minor situational buffs, but overall stormcast are now weak as ******

I play in a group of fairly compeditive players and found them underpowered now virtually all thier decent tricks are good

That is a bit overreaction....

Not sure if this has been already mentioned or not, but the new battalion "Aetherstrike Force" is very amazing. It requires knight-azyros, venator, 2 units of Judicators, 2 units of vanguard-raptors, and 2 aetherwing units. 
Its minimum cost is over 1,000pts, but it provides 2 battleline units and Knight-Azyros whose mystic light is rather useful. More importantly, the battalion allows a single unit to make free shooting attack in the hero phase against enemy unit nearby the Azyros or aetherwings. Lastly whenever a unit from the battalion is wiped out, another unit from the same battalion can immediately shoot at the enemy unit responsible for it.
Combined with the aetherwing's amazing ability to disrupt enemy units during their charge phase, the battalion is very offensive and defensive at the same time. For example, if the enemies try to charge seemingly vulnerable judicators and/or raptors, the aetherwings can intercept the charging enemy unit. Should the enemy unit wipe out the fragile aetherwings, your raptor unit can immediately shoot at the said enemy units. Alternatively if the aetherwings miraculously survived until your hero phase, one of your shooty units can shoot that enemy unit right in front of aetherwings. 
I have yet to use this battalion in action - and of course not, because raptors and aetherwings are not even on pre-order yet! - , but I believe this will become staple battalion for those who wishes to use raptors and aetherwings properly.

Yeah, looking at it, it's a fantastic Battalion if you want to implement a high amount of shooting. I think it has potential to be in more rounded/less alpha Stormcast lists.

Holy ****** dude I get that the army doesn't have a powerful monobuild or easy gimmick like it used to but you're freaking wrong. Enjoy playing whatever you use next but don't come in here with that stupid stuff and expect anyone to take you seriously.

If you want a nice easymode army I suggest checking out 12 Kurnoth Hunters.

3 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Yeah, looking at it, it's a fantastic Battalion if you want to implement a high amount of shooting. I think it has potential to be in more rounded/less alpha Stormcast lists.

Holy ****** dude I get that the army doesn't have a powerful monobuild or easy gimmick like it used to but you're freaking wrong. Enjoy playing whatever you use next but don't come in here with that stupid stuff and expect anyone to take you seriously.

If you want a nice easymode army I suggest checking out 12 Kurnoth Hunters.

I like the theme of my army, i like painting them however they never seem to work for me

Yeah i am negative because i dropped a tonne of cash on the army and winning occaionally with them would be nice

would be nice. The new tome i just dropped money on took away some of thier unique tricks and advantages over other armies

why not come into a stormcast forum and complain i am hoping to be proved wrong

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

Hammerstrike is still good Alpha Strike. Our shooting is still somewhat above average, and our frontline troops are extremely good with buffs and what not, so we can make a good layered army. Our cavalry is also among some of the best heavy cav in the game, though still weak against MWs.

It's a good book. There's a lot of unexplored power that is being ignored or underestimated by people imo.

Please give me a specific example of anything underestimated

Eveything seems situational and unreliable

3 hours ago, Requizen said:

The new Storm Heralds Battalion is by and far my favorite

This! I am thinking of rocking this myself.

47 minutes ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

new battalion "Aetherstrike Force" is very amazing

Or this.

46 minutes ago, Fellclaw01 said:

This is just nonsense :( sorry

1 minute ago, Fellclaw01 said:

Storm Heralds and Aetherstrike Force are just being looked at these last two pages.

Aetherwings are potentially as disruptive as fanatics.

16 minutes ago, wayniac said:

Yeah, I think the new stuff is great.  They took away some of the egregious filthy things you could do, and provided more options.  I am excited to start this army.  @Fellclaw01 care to explain a bit more why you think they are terrible now?  Or was that sarcasm??

Def not, tbh im desperate as they are my main faction and they just appear to perform awful in every game.

if i want to win i need to use something else like empire or a mix of other order units

i am particularly bitter as i felt they were underpowered to start with. Unit for unit i seem to be able to get better units and more importantly unit buffs from other order units

Personally I think people are focusing too much on Alpha Strike lists. I think there is a fair shot of buff/combo armies being a thing now. There are strong buffs and auras, taking Staunch Defender with a LCoD gives you a bubble of Battleshock-proof, +1 save units. Throw in a Castellant to make another unit even more save, give him the Fury Brand Mystic Light.

Check out your unit of 10-15 Paladins with 2+ saves (healing on 5+) that will never run away and have an extra attack each. For extra lolz, throw in a Relictor for Bless Weapons to give them exploding 6s.

Or go full MSU, still use the bubbles, but add in Lichebone Standard for super hard to kill units. Bonus if you can make it work with Knights Excelsior, the MSU spam with bubbles and rerolls will be epic.

I also think high shooting with cheap Lib units for screening is good. The new Battalion is nice and I dig Raptors of both varieties. Check out a 9 man unit of Longstrikes with Bless Weapons and an Azyros or 2 downfield

3 hours ago, Dotification said:

I don't think a single one of the stormhost battalions will see competitive use in the long term. Celestial vindicators will get some traction for awhile until people stop playing melee stormcasts altogether. We are in the age of leafblower stormcasts.

I don't think a single one of the stormhost battalions will see competitive use in the long term. Celestial vindicators will get some traction for awhile until people stop playing melee stormcasts altogether. We are in the age of leafblower stormcasts.

Partially agree. I think we will see more balanced SE lists between melee/shooting. There will still be at least one hammer power melee unit per list, but our games won't be decided purely by a massive Paladin or Dracoth hit.

Archived