Special weapons in skirmish

Iradekhorne

Question

Hi!!

I have a question. 

If i pick a unid of liberators, for example 3 liberators. Can i equip them a grandmace as they where 5?

I think no, but i see a post on warhammer community where one of the GW players put 3 judicators and 1 of them have the shockbolt bow. 

I didnt read nothing about it :/

8 answers to this question

So RAW, you cannot as you need 5 Liberators to be eligible for a Grand Weapon.

I think it's just one of those things that people don't really think about when constructing for Skirmish. They basically assume they get the same weapon options as if they were taking a full squad, even though that's technically not how it's written.

Given it has not been FAQed or Errated, have to assume that the restrictions should still stand, and it's just something a fair few people get wrong.

10 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

So RAW, you cannot as you need 5 Liberators to be eligible for a Grand Weapon.

I think it's just one of those things that people don't really think about when constructing for Skirmish. They basically assume they get the same weapon options as if they were taking a full squad, even though that's technically not how it's written.

Given it has not been FAQed or Errated, have to assume that the restrictions should still stand, and it's just something a fair few people get wrong.

I think the same, but I want confirmate bcause I see one battle report on one white dwarf, and the stormcast guy had the shockbolt bow with less than 5 judicators... 

1 minute ago, Iradekhorne said:

I think the same, but I want confirmate bcause I see one battle report on one white dwarf, and the stormcast guy had the shockbolt bow with less than 5 judicators... 

It wouldn't be the first time they got something wrong.

Certainly in the Skirmish book they don't show any factions wielding weapons outside the warscroll restrictions. That however, is not exactly good proof because all the images are taken using the Skirmish boxes in which the Liberators and Retributors are the easy to build ones which don't come with the special weapons.

So really, it's hard to say. I think  I would have to argue in light of there being no rules that allow you to avoid that restriction, one should still have to obey it. Especially since it's now been approximately a year since release without any Errata/FAQ to say otherwise.

That being said. At the end of the day Skirmish is a pretty casual play mode that is meant for you to build up an army. Discuss with your friends on how you're going to play it and whether or not you want to waiver that rule. Can always say the Shockbolt Bow on the Prime is just a regular Bow at the end of the day or use one of the other 4 Judicators with the right equipment.

So the way I've played it is you can take 1 straight away but after that keep to the warscroll restriction. Eg. I've got 1 liberator in my skirmish warband, i can take him as a prime with a grandblade but i can't take any more special weapons till i pass get to 5 liberators

41 minutes ago, flemingmma said:

So the way I've played it is you can take 1 straight away but after that keep to the warscroll restriction. Eg. I've got 1 liberator in my skirmish warband, i can take him as a prime with a grandblade but i can't take any more special weapons till i pass get to 5 liberators

This is how I, and everyone I've played with have played.
I found the RAW are kind of ambiguous, accentuated by the lack of a FAQ clarification.

I understand, but is too powerful.... in a 50 points.

Allegiance: Order
Lord-Celestant (20)
1 x Liberators (4)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
1 x Judicators (6)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
1 x Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers (7)
- 1x Grandhammers
1 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (7)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents
1 x Vanguard-Hunters (6)

Total: 50 / 50
Wounds: 15
That ****** list is just umbeatable, i'm doing a campaign in malign portents and the 2 first games are skirmish games at 50 and 75 points. 

No one can win that list... xD I think im going to speak with my friends for house rule, i give him the chance of put one special weapon for 50 points and 2 for 75.

We've been playing that you need the amount specified in order to qualify for the weapon.  So if it says 1 in 5, you need five.  When people have showed up with their special weapon painted because they didn't realise we are like "whatever, just use it" but I could definitely see how a warband made up of unit leaders with special weapons could definitely be stronger than one with a mix or with none.

21 hours ago, Iradekhorne said:

I understand, but is too powerful.... in a 50 points.

Allegiance: Order
Lord-Celestant (20)
1 x Liberators (4)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
1 x Judicators (6)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
1 x Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers (7)
- 1x Grandhammers
1 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (7)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents
1 x Vanguard-Hunters (6)

Total: 50 / 50
Wounds: 15
That ****** list is just umbeatable, i'm doing a campaign in malign portents and the 2 first games are skirmish games at 50 and 75 points. 

No one can win that list... xD I think im going to speak with my friends for house rule, i give him the chance of put one special weapon for 50 points and 2 for 75.

This is another case of "maximum efficiency". I mean, if you put 1 or 2 Specialweapons in your list it shouldn't be a problem, having those Special Weapon even you don't have the amount of models. (why should a Bloodbound player take 10 Warriors to get a Goreglaive while a Stormcast only needs 5 for his grand weapon?)

In my oppinion Hinterlands had the better rule in this case:

Upgrades

One model from a Warscroll may take a single upgrade for every 3 models from that Warscroll you have in toal in your warband.

Upgrades include champions, Standard Bearers, Musicians and any special weaponry.

The downsight of this rule was that you need 6 models when you want a champion and a specialweapon (or a champion with a special weapon) but the rule doen't have the problem that some units only get there special weapon on 10 or 20 Models while other get 2 Weapons for 5 models.

Archived