Judicators-how to arm them?

Mikeboll

The bows are the better option, both aesthetically and in game term. Just my opinion of course. If you prefer the look of the Crossbows I think there is some mileage, however it requires extra effort/synergy to be effective (some people will enjoy the reward of this).

I'm sure most people would agree that the bows are just flat out better, offering some super solid ranged threat. Just be sure to put the special weapon the Prime for the +1 to hit! ;) 

Bows range helps with Stormcast slow speeds. If you like prosecutors they have a similar role to take out distant threats with a 30" possible charge range. Crossbows help support a shieldwall but most prefer to use paladins for that. Overall bows make the most sense though crossbows will help eat through tarpit hordes faster. It comes down to what you like or the tactics you plan to use. In either case you'll probably want 10 to be effective.

10 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

In either case you'll probably want 10 to be effective.

If you do take 10 or more, which as @WoollyMammoth says is pretty nice, it's probably worth them in multiple small units of 5 to max out on the number of Primes with special weapon.

They do count as a Battleline unit as well which is super useful (and a bit silly!)

I own 5 crossbow Judicators (bought with the army) and too be honest, in game, I always wind up wishing they had bows. Their uses are pretty situational. I've heard people wax on about using 10 of the with the teleport banner to 30 odd shot a target, but never seen it happen.

Incidentally, it's perfectly ok to but the Shockbolt Bow into a crossbow unit, and in some ways this makes them more useful, since the champion alone with the Shockbolt Bow dishes out more damage than the other 4 Bow dudes themselves.

I have, rather boldly (stupidly?), chosen to take bows but then the Thunderbolt Crossbow special weapon.

My idea was that throwing some ranged mortal wound capability in there was a great idea.

The main downside is that the 6" range difference could end up with me being forced to make some tactically risky move.

57 minutes ago, Barimbino said:

I have both types, and have trouble finding any really good use for the crossbow ones. Like everyone is saying, the 30 inch range for a slow moving army is pretty much a must when building these guys.

Without modifiers the Judicator Prime is outputting @2.2 wounds -1 rend, whilst the other 4 dudes combined are doing @ 1.77 wounds. Inside of 12" and not moving 4 crossbow guys are doing 4.6 wounds (albeit no rend) but still twice as much as 4 bow dudes within 12". So, a combination of Judicator Prime with Shockbolt Bow and 4 x Boltstorm Crossbows could be a good multi functional build, especially against armies which run at you.

6 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I have, rather boldly (stupidly?), chosen to take bows but then the Thunderbolt Crossbow special weapon.

My idea was that throwing some ranged mortal wound capability in there was a great idea.

The main downside is that the 6" range difference could end up with me being forced to make some tactically risky move.

It's quite hit and miss, even when I was incorrectly using it to my advantage (!). When used as per the actual rules it's quite underwhelming IMO.

I need to make the same decision. I like the aesthetic of the crossbows. I even do like the Thunderbolt Crossbow. But the rules of the Shockbolt Bow are better.

1 hour ago, Marc Wilson said:

So, a combination of Judicator Prime with Shockbolt Bow and 4 x Boltstorm Crossbows could be a good multi functional build, especially against armies which run at you.

This is currently my favorite. Hm, but i want the Thunderbolt Crossbow model so bad.

What could be the advantages of the Thunderbolt Crossbow?

- Always dealing d3 mortal wounds on units with 6 or more models.

- The Prime can use a Boltstorm Crossbow which is going to improve the 4.6 wounds of the 4 models with crossbows.

Disadvantages:

- Only 18 inches range

- Not a good way to finish of units.

- Single models including monsters are a bad target.

Any more advantages or disadvantages?

• 9 months later...

This was a great thread and discussion as I came up with this question myself.  I really like the Crossbows from an aesthetic stand point, but the 12" range is brutal.  If they were all 18" like the boltstorm I would do it, but definitely gotta bust out the arrows.

Getting within 12" of something when that easily means they'll be charged the following turn (without screens) when they're dreadful in combat is not a good situation.

Bows it is for now, but I'll be ready to buy another box when the Warscroll gets updated (fingers crossed) with some better Crossbow rules.

Archived