Death at Adepticon?

CrownWBG

Hey guys. Just an ignorant European here.

I was really interested in the Death list at Adepticon 2018 which is going on right now.

Do anybody have any information about lists and how they perform? All gossip appreciated :)

Ps.

For the people sleeping under rocks: Adepticon is a large AOS competetive event going on in the US right now. Check warhammer twitch for coverage!

1 hour ago, Ashtyn said:

Would be great to know what lists did well for death. Being in the top 10 is a good jump considering where Death used to be.

Apparently the list was Nagash+Necromancer and a deathrattle horde (40 skeletons 30 graveguards and maybe i saw 10 Black Knights)

EDIT found him on twitter the lost is:

Nagash Necromancer 40x skellies 40x skellies 30x graveguard 10x skellies

46 minutes ago, CrownWBG said:

Apparently the list was Nagash+Necromancer and a deathrattle horde (40 skeletons 30 graveguards and maybe i saw 10 Black Knights)

EDIT found him on twitter the lost is:

Nagash Necromancer 40x skellies 40x skellies 30x graveguard 10x skellies

I'm surprised that list held up against armies like changehost or skyfire spam that can erase Nagash quickly.  The skeletons will die in droves once Nagash is gone taking their immune to battleshock with him. 

4 hours ago, themortalgod said:

I'm surprised that list held up against armies like changehost or skyfire spam that can erase Nagash quickly.  The skeletons will die in droves once Nagash is gone taking their immune to battleshock with him. 

who knows, perhaps he got amazing match ups that helped him get there?

Not quite sure, but without the battalion the army is not a 2 drop but 6...

place gravesites depending on objektives, 1 home base, 2 off side objektive 1 main side objektive...

hide the gg in a gravesite, maybe even one skelli blob

take first or second turn, doesn‘t matter, run up Nagash to main side, necro to off side, summon up the units, capture objective

now the tricky part begins, since three objectives are claimed, the positioning of every single model is vital. Has immense impact on everything...

make sure opponent doesn’t get third turn ;_;

and don‘t forget to „grippando“ your opponent

4 hours ago, Honk said:

Not quite sure, but without the battalion the army is not a 2 drop but 6...

place gravesites depending on objektives, 1 home base, 2 off side objektive 1 main side objektive...

hide the gg in a gravesite, maybe even one skelli blob

take first or second turn, doesn‘t matter, run up Nagash to main side, necro to off side, summon up the units, capture objective

now the tricky part begins, since three objectives are claimed, the positioning of every single model is vital. Has immense impact on everything...

make sure opponent doesn’t get third turn ;_;

and don‘t forget to „grippando“ your opponent

He did not hide the Graveguards.

See link for example of deployment

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hobby_Bear/status/977559480329211905/photo/1

So he went for one big skelli line up front, followed by the grave guard, followed by 10 skellis with Nagash and the apprentice behind.

That leaves 40 skellis missing...the broad gravesites positioned for the grind

against the Fyreslayers pretty effective I guess, but not quite sure why that lasted to top 10.

but who am I to argue with the list and the positioning of his dudes, don´t even know the objectives, soooo...

congratulation for top 10 interested how he pulled that off

Yes, I actually played against this list in the last game of the Tourney. The match came down to the last turn when I lost the priority roll, and he was able to steal the last objective from me netting him a major victory. 

It was very strong on holding objectives, and massive hordes of Skellies were very hard to shift making it quite tough to pull any victory points out of the list. 

To be fair, his list was well-suited for the scenario, which was Battle for the Pass with a combination of victory conditions from GHB16 and 17. The best I could have probably hoped for was a minor win, considering he had three units that were 20+ strong, and I only had 1 unit of 30 dryads which was destroyed fairly early, there was no really good way for me to control all four objectives. 

It was still an extremely close match, coming down to the last combat of turn 5. Had 1-2 key rolls gone my way (and had he not rolled up indomitable for his triumph trait which saved Nagash from getting cut to ribbons by my Hunters) it might have been a differ story. How fickle the dice gods can be. 

All of this of course not to is disparage or dismiss his play at all. He was a very competent player and his award of best death general was well deserved. 

Honestly, Death was there but nowhere near the amounts I thought. The few I saw were your standard Nagash lists with hordes of death rattle and other assorted grunt troops bubble wrapping the big bonehead. From what I heard, most people just sniped the 800 point sledgehammer off the table by turn two. Like I said, just your typical Nagash bubble wraps. 

1 hour ago, Scythian said:

...few I saw were your standard Nagash lists...

So real „first cohort lists“ or just like above... to snipe away Nagash with 2-4 morghast in second turn sounds crazy, him by himself sure if you splitfire ?

Fortunately, I didn’t have to face the goofiness that is the First Cohort, so the only feedback I got was from other gamers. I just know that one Tzeentch guy supposedly had 18 Skyfires. The only shooty army I faced was the Kunnin Ruk list with only about......3,000 shots! Yes, I’m joking!

Archived