5 dire wolves

5 dire wolves

5 dire wolves

9 spirit hosts

10 hexwraiths

mortis engine

Lords of sacrament

balewind

The list has been doing really well, the debuffs can be crippling to most enemy units. Most of my opponents are really held back due to spectral grasp, considering it effects the entire terrain piece. 

I generally play it quite defensively and use the spirits and the hexwraiths as a hammer, while the dogs screen arkhan.

van hels allows the hexwraiths or the spirits to dish out a ****** load of attacks and a large volume of mortal wounds.

the real strength of the list comes from debuffing my opponents units. In my last game I managed to get -2 to hit and -1 to wound on  free guild hand gunners (they didn't cause a single wound in the shooting phase) I've also had pusgoyle blight kings limited to only causing 1 wound in a combat phase due to -2 Attacks and -1 to hit. I find that the debuffs allow the ethereal units to grind it out quite well.

I need more games to really find out how it plays but I'm enjoying what it can do currently.

2 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

I'm thinking about Vargheists! They are glass cannon unit and they flay! They no summonable and pretty delicate but we just need an offensive and fast unit to assault objectives.. So they can be the answer:)

I much prefer Hexwraiths for the same points. Same speed, but MUCH more durable between 4+, ethereal, and summonable. They can dish out mortal wounds on the move, and in close combat. Did I mention summonable and all the bonuses that brings?

On 18/03/2018 at 7:51 AM, Ashtyn said:

In my last game I managed to get -2 to hit and -1 to wound on  free guild hand gunners (they didn't cause a single wound in the shooting phase)

I believe its just characters that are affected by -1 to wound?

4 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

They can put mortal wound when move, if you retreat for exemple you can benefit from that. How you use that hexwr ability? In what situation? I havn t played them!

If you make a really long charge you can use the extra movement to fly the hexwraiths over the enemy.

Or when you retreat.

Or if you just need to fly over something to get to another spot, maybe that's free mortal wounds.

But it's minimal either way, I wouldn't base a turn around it, it's just free damage sometimes.

I recently took this to a one day event and to a campaign weekend,  it did well enough to win the one dayer:

Arkhan, Soul Harvest

Necromancer, shroud of night, Grasping Hands (the half move near terrain spell)

Necromancer, wristbands of black gold, fading vigour

10 Dire Wolves

3 Spirit Hosts

40 Skeletons

40 Skeletons

40 Skeletons

Mortis Engine

Lords of sacrament

However, I played a Tzeenth list that deleted Arkhan and 40 skeletons by about halfway through his shooting phase.  I'd love to say how long it would have actually him to table me, but thats when I stopped having fun and conceded.

I'm going for LoS (battalion too) with VloZD. Will be putting artifacts on him and one Necro (standard Wristbands and Shroud). Which way round do you think I should put them? Currently leaning toward Wristbands on VloZD as he's more likely to get other mortals in shooting phase besides standard missiles and enemy should always be out of range of necro to always have -2 on shroud. 

6 hours ago, Jaehaerys said:

I'm going for LoS (battalion too) with VloZD. Will be putting artifacts on him and one Necro (standard Wristbands and Shroud). Which way round do you think I should put them? Currently leaning toward Wristbands on VloZD as he's more likely to get other mortals in shooting phase besides standard missiles and enemy should always be out of range of necro to always have -2 on shroud. 

Besides Skaven, most mortals in the shooting phase require to hit rolls, many of them on 6+. Shroud completely makes him immune to Skyfires for example. Also, rending shooting is also dangerous, KO wont care about Wristbands for example. For these reasons, I prefer Shroud on my dragon.

7 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Besides Skaven, most mortals in the shooting phase require to hit rolls, many of them on 6+. Shroud completely makes him immune to Skyfires for example. Also, rending shooting is also dangerous, KO wont care about Wristbands for example. For these reasons, I prefer Shroud on my dragon.

How much stuff is in shooting phase but doesn't need hit rolls? I can think of Heraldor, Celestant, and star drake from SCE but don't know any others.

Played a game with my sacrament list.  Lost hard to buffed up goblin shooting due in part to getting greedy and deploying Arkhan too close in the hope of a first turn curse of years.  Not much to say other than the vulnerability of a mortarch general is a real concern, and 2x40 skeletons is probably the way to go, even if doing so costs you a dragon lord.

So I played a game against Seraphon the other day. 

I ran the list I mentioned earlier and my opponent (a great guy, and excellent sport) was running a kroak + shadowstrike + celestant prime army. Battleplan was duality which gave me a fighting chance due to having 5 heroes and 2 behomeths

I was petrified of the first turn mortal wound spam, 2d3 (aoe) + D3 (arcane bolt) from kroak and D3 from the celestant plus a unit of 6 rippers with the new toad rules meant I knew I was going to lose a lot of stuff on turn 1.

I bubble wrapped like mad and hoped that I'd survive with something. After the dust cleared kroak failed to get on his balewind so I dodged D3 mortals on a few of my heroes (not Arkhan), Arkhan  took 8/9 wounds, a few wounds were placed on all my heroes + the mortis and I lost 9 spirit hosts to the rippers + chameleon skinks.

My counter attack managed to kill 2 units of skinks and the celestant prime (van hels + dammed on 10 hexwraiths hurts) I blocked up the rippers with wolves and a vampire, and I debuffed chamos and rippers so they wouldn't be so killy.

I was 5 inches away from kroak with the hexwraiths which meant if I won priority I could cause some headaches, unfortunately I lost it and kroak teleported away got on a bale wind (ontop of one of the objectives which blocked it from being taken) and blew off Arkhan, 1 necro and the vamp lord. 

After that I tried to play the objective game, I got the mortis onto the other objective and used my hexwraiths to start to mop up my opponents heroes, by the end of the game my opponent had to drop kroak off the balewind and try to cap his objective, this lead to him being charged by van hels + dammed buffed wolves which caused enough wounds to kill kroak.

It was a damn tense game and my opponent was great! It was really low scoring (I believe it was 2 - 4 by the end.)

I really am enjoying my list, Hexwraiths and Hosts can really dish out some pain. Hexwraiths coming back on a 3+ is huge considering the mobility and punch they can provide with double pile in.

Archived