Stonemonk's Destruction Army WIP

Thank you sir! the skin tone has come out better than expected. Went with a real dark undertone and purple wash, then drybrush with a medium brown/orange tone...still deciding on final highlight being more orange or more yellow... The blue worked out better than expected, still gotta up my freehand game :P

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got 5 hours in last night to finish the base and a few bibs and bobs on he model in order to enter my first painting contest, the @Mengel Miniatures Seasons of War. Totally missed @Vincent Venturella PMP large model voting by a day ugh.

ill let Tyler post my photo(s) for the completed model before I post them here. But the last two days have been all about the base and I will show that.

the base also reveals where the Ogornids hail from - the Endless Desert! Not a ploy to gain Tyler's favor, but a logical place for a Frostlord trying to escape the everwinter and run into some space bugs.

shattered dominion bits, wood/poly filler, playground sand sprinkle, crackle paste (didn't have time for it to set),  Orruk head. Painted it all bone, base color details and weathering of colors, flesh wash from secret weapon, drybrush terminates stone, retouch colors, army painter and warlord grass tufts, woodland scenic lichen.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Quick question, what kind of tufts are those that seem extra bushy? I've been looking for something like this for ages!

tufts.jpg

Those tufts are from warlord games. Can't remember name off hand but will post list soon. Winter tufts or something like that. A hint of purple in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Are you going to be putting a backrest for the Ogres? At the moment it looks a bit precarious, as if they'll fall off....or worse, they are trying to mate with them.    [emoji8]

I stripped the backs down because there will be a lot going on with the Carnifex arms. Having more jaggy bits up high felt odd. But adding a backrest could be good. Another place to drape clothe.

I can't believe the Carnifex fit on a Mournfang base!

Yeah they come with 60mm round, they sorta fit on the 90x52 but moving to a 105x70 may be more comfy. There a lot of open space underneath so I'm hesitant to go bigger as it could feel more empty.

Love your work mate, and I'm a real fan of the Mortal Realms podcasts too.

I love the mounts, the nids work very well as AoS Beasts.  If I could make one suggestion it would be to move the riders further forward, maybe by removing the middle row of spines.

16 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

are you going to put chains or like to make the rider hold on to and control the beast? I think that would help anchor him a little to his mount. Cool idea, cant wait to see how he turns out! :)

The less experienced and wear legged ogors may get some chains. i magnetize the riders so chains would be too permanent for me but the point is well taken.

On September 10, 2016 at 3:53 PM, AGPO said:

Love your work mate, and I'm a real fan of the Mortal Realms podcasts too.

I love the mounts, the nids work very well as AoS Beasts.  If I could make one suggestion it would be to move the riders further forward, maybe by removing the middle row of spines.

Do you mean on the mournfang/Carnifex? I definitely forced some limitations to try and feel like mournfang and limit how high up they sat. Mournfang riders sit a bit lower, but I definitely wanted them shorter than the riders of thundertusk/Haruspex, which they are shorter than the guy on stonehorn/Tervigon. 

Moving them higher on the carapace didn't feel right. Where they are at now feels pretty far back, but I think was best option for these mounts given how much bigger they are than mournfang.

this was by far the hardest one to get right and while I'm happy with them, wish there was a Tyranid of slightly smaller stature, with the same build.

Latest pic after a massive assembly night. I think almost everything is in its most complete sub assemblies. Weapons still need sculpting. Some build on thundertusk/Haruspex seats. More detail pics soon. Waiting on some Hormagaunts as Frost Sabres.

image.jpeg

Back: Dread Maw-Loc, Thunder-spex. Middle: Mourn-ifex, Stone-ifex, Ironguts. Front: Hunter, Butcher

I so wanted to figure out how to have him exploding out of the sands...but I don't know if I have the time, and I've only seen a 1 maybe 2 done the way I would like. I will likely settle on him slithering out of the sands, with sand kicking out to show motion. 

Also need to tie him into the army, as more than just a tyranid. Thinking of adding an Ogor on the base, summoning it through some means of magic or sensor or drums...

Great looking conversions. I have a whole swag of mournfang conversions riding various WHFB monsters but never bothered with a one off Nid as I've always thought of them as 40K only. A whole themed army looks good though.

Would love to see that mournfang pack!

Archived